• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Track Day Discussion

I was thinking this when you said you are heavy on the brakes. We were fairly evey matched, you were maybe braking a touch later than I was, with a heavier car which won't help. I'd say it was mainly the tight corners you were really pulling away, wasn't too much in it on the straights. Yours always looked so composed when mine was scrabbling around!

I haven't had a chance to look at my camera yet, I'll take a look soon and see if there's anything worth seeing on it. I did think about passenger laps, but I was trying to get as much track time as possible while letting the car have a rest for as long as I could I'm between.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Heavy braking tends to scrub off too much speed and can unbalance the car. Start braking lighter and get heavier on the pedal throughout the braking zone.

Standing on the brake pedal as hard as possible into every corner is not good.

I've got some ideas for further improving brake cooling (already have larger/refined air redirectors) so will likely be looking into adding ducting at the weekend. I've already got the bits from a previous failed attempt on the rear, so I'll just be wasting time rather than money on it.

I wouldn’t get too bogged down by the temperature rating on pads tbh.

lots of researching ideas over the last few days.
seems to be growing trend of using inline fans to cool the brakes. Many photos of racecars, and trackday guys in heavy cars (TTRS,911,z06) seem to be going this route so gonna get the car up on ramps at the weekend and take a gander at clearances.

failed day at ducting. everything so oversized on the FK2, it's not giving room for anything! HCTR's oversized redirectors seem to be the only solution.

thoughts on removing the dust sheild? many people on forums say it'll cook ball joint and track rod rubbers but i'm very suspect to that. if that was the case, manufacturers would be making localised solutions and not an sheild that covers the entire rear of the disc.

failed day at ducting. everything so oversized on the FK2, it's not giving room for anything! HCTR's oversized redirectors seem to be the only solution.

thoughts on removing the dust sheild? many people on forums say it'll cook ball joint and track rod rubbers but i'm very suspect to that. if that was the case, manufacturers would be making localised solutions and not an sheild that covers the entire rear of the disc.
I've had no back plates since I swapped the hubs side to side (calipers now at the front for cooling ducts, which I've never fitted) and I've not had any stones find their way in, or any heat issues.

There's enough of an air gap to stop that being an issue I'd have thought. Especially being that peak temps will be when moving and after cool down laps etc, the temps will be significantly lower.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

car in for service today so assuming nothing is found to cost me yet more money, will likely be booking Donny for their Monday 10th June event.
forecast looking good for the weeks surrounding that date so hoping for a dry warm day to see what these cup2's can do.

donington booked - 10th June if anyone interested in tagging along.
i got a lot of videos and guides to read up on how to drive donington - first real circuit and lots to learn about its lines. tuition booked to help give me some pointers on the day too.

donington booked - 10th June if anyone interested in tagging along.
i got a lot of videos and guides to read up on how to drive donington - first real circuit and lots to learn about its lines. tuition booked to help give me some pointers on the day too.

Don't lift off mid Craners, if not feeling confident dab the brakes before turn in, I put my EK9 deep in the gravel back in 2000. You can go flat out after old hairpin up into McLeans, don't worry if you don't master Coppice, raced there 4 times, 20 trackdays and still not sure I have nailed it! My favourite circuit in the UK, it is really hard on the brakes espeacily into the old hairpin. Enjoy :D

looks to be nicer on brakes than abingdon is. also seems half the speed reduction into corners and higher minimum speed from what i've seen on youtube, so shouldnt be cooking brakes anymore.
good advice on craners lift off. not something i'd like to find out myself. will naturally be taking it easy for the first few sessions to get a feel for it all.

Donny is a great laugh, I think there's better UK circuits but it's always hugely subjective. Coppice as mentioned is the most technically difficult corner I think, semi-blind entrance and you can really screw it up if you get it wrong, as you end up straight in the kitty litter. Craners requires big balls, never, ever lift going down the hill and watch out as the back end will go really light due to the camber and steepness of it.

looks to be nicer on brakes than abingdon is. also seems half the speed reduction into corners and higher minimum speed from what i've seen on youtube, so shouldnt be cooking brakes anymore.
good advice on craners lift off. not something i'd like to find out myself. will naturally be taking it easy for the first few sessions to get a feel for it all.

Agreed abingdon is horrible now. Used to be a much bigger layout which flowed better. I think they have changed the layout to reduce speeds and just made it hard on the cars brakes and cooling systems.

Snetterton booked for Thursday, anyone going or about that day. Great circuit, hope the forecast is correct.:rolleyes:

Well good day and epic circuit but again I was dogged by graining on the PS4S's. You end up feeling like you're riding on the extra rubber especially during heavy braking. They either can't cope with the heat or I'm over driving them but it's difficult not to when everything else is flying round on slicks and semis. I'm a bit despondent at the moment and may decide to knock track days on the head. I can't afford to have a second set of tyres and wheels so maybe the only possible solution is something like the Cup 2's.
663339869af83cfe9931507e23d29117.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

To be honest that looks pretty normal wear for a track days, that's not training it's pick up, perhaps stop focusing on trying to keep up with the "faster tyred" cars and focus on enjoying the car.

I know it won't help but if you really enjoy track days buy something light, Caterham, Elise type car tyres, they are far cheaper to track, fuel, tyres and brakes would last three or four times as longr, they are better handling and more rewarding too. If you stick with your FK2 buy a second pair of wheels and tyres, it will pay dividends in the long run. In my heyday of tracking my EK9, I used to use slicks, they lasted around 12 + track days.

You need to decide what you want to get out of it, as once you start fitting semi slicks you will find the brakes are not up to it, then the dampers, then the clutch etc, then not enough power, chop out weight, I've been there, in the end you end up with a track car that isn't all that great on the road and realise the money you could have spent could have paid for a track car.

Best investment I ever made was spending money on coaching, it is the single biggest thing that improved my track times.

I'll let you know how the cup2's run like at donny on the 10th. cant really fault 'em on the road. imo better than the hype lets on with damp roads but i dont tend to push in those conditions. havent run them back to back and it's been 2yrs since i used csc6's but i'd say about the same in full wet conditions with raw grip. not a tyre you want to run in winter as they just dont grip so winter tyres are almost essential if on cup2's

forcast on the 10th has changed to some rain but obviously too far to know for certain. Would be nice for a bit of rain and then dry up if it's gonna do it.

your 4s's are looking better than my dunlop RT2's did, but worse than ps4s's when i went abingdon in cooler temps (obvious temp is going to have a negative impact)

i know what you mean about trackdays. not so much tyres although i have thought about changing my current cheap alloys to a set of alloys for both winter and trackday rubber; 19"'s for summer road and 18's to swap between track & winter. Not something i could afford for the next 12months though and hard to justify for 3-4 days /yr.
Brakes have been the thorn for me. Only done abingdon so a move to donny to see what happens could be the deciding factor that'll end thngs this year for me.
change of pads, removed dust plates, different circuit and going for slightly shorter stints; i cant see not solving the issue.

I didn't expect trackdays to be cheap, but currently way more than i anticipated.

Last edited by a moderator:
out of interest, what do you think to the outter edge of tyre in terms of remaining trackdays left?
at abingdon i'd say 3 days before they were on the cords.

Matt definately right on upgrading the next weakest link. found myself doing it to some extent. i'm feeling the next weaklink is suspension but yet to be sure on that. fk2 was more squirmy than i remember last trackday but could be down to (another) possible dealer cockup. Hard to prove it though. been getting the urge to replace OEM rubber with polyurethane. stiffening and lowering/coilovers is tempting but becomes less of a daily and i really dont want to be sacrificing ground clearance due to speedbumps on my primary route to/from home.

Back