• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Track Day Discussion

Just found this from Michael in the white DC5 (Linus27?) from the day.

[video=youtube;ZrYBJoP6RT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrYBJoP6RT8[/video]

Go to 17m45s:

g2g lol, oh wait... that's a Lotus on fire! :shock:

Trackdays

Surprised there isn't a thread already about trackday chat for FK2 owners... time to create one or no interest?

i'm off to my 2nd track day in september - Abingdon airfield.
My first day (at abingdon) showed rear brakes and tyre sidewall/edge as a weak spot so i've added some more camber with the dream balljoints and swapped the burnt out projectMu NS rear pads with something more track focused. who knew rear brakes would be a limit on a fwd car!
It's a vaguely familiar circuit and see how well the current changes react like on the car.

plenty of spaces left at Abingdon if anyone's interested (via MotorSport Events). Plan is also to run at donnington and/or mallory mid/late next year too once the FK2 is preped to handle track better. I really don't want brake issues in some of the corners on those two circuits.

You’ll find majority of FK2 and FK8 owners have bought the car, marketed as a track orientated car, but use it solely for the road. Then proceed to claim it’s not a good road car..... (awaits bites)
As for the rear brakes I’ve found sometimes track dependent it can work the rear brakes harder than others. I went Donington Park few years back and killed a rear set of pads. I’d also make sure all your stability controls are fully switched off as it’ll apply rear brakes for stability control.

I saw a blue FK2 at Abingdon earlier in the year and it seemed to fly! The pace it had against my modded ep3 was mad, just looked so composed. I'd love to have a go in one.

Which date were you at Abingdon? It would be funny if it was you I saw.

A few subtle mods is always nice as it gives you another chance to learn the car and see what it can do differently.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

You’ll find majority of FK2 and FK8 owners have bought the car, marketed as a track orientated car, but use it solely for the road. Then proceed to claim it’s not a good road car..... (awaits bites)
As for the rear brakes I’ve found sometimes track dependent it can work the rear brakes harder than others. I went Donington Park few years back and killed a rear set of pads. I’d also make sure all your stability controls are fully switched off as it’ll apply rear brakes for stability control.
I've a feeling your right. really doesn't seem to be much activity with FK2/FK8 track use. i know i'm not the first to track the car (fair few on youtube), but the experience I've had with the car it does feel like i'm the guinea pig and just finding things that should be visible to any one.

I keep seeing this 'make sure TC is fully off'. afaik simply pressing the TCS button till the light goes on the dash is fully off for the FK2. either way, it was in +R and TCS off for the trackday
on a pad size perspective, the FK2 is stupidly small. FK8's are noticeably bigger as are focusST's, 3-series, and '1-size-up-from-smallest' alfa's i saw shopping tonight. I'm wondering if the FK8 rears will fit the FK2 as a direct bolt-on replacement.

I saw a blue FK2 at Abingdon earlier in the year and it seemed to fly! The pace it had against my modded ep3 was mad, just looked so composed. I'd love to have a go in one.

Which date were you at Abingdon? It would be funny if it was you I saw.

A few subtle mods is always nice as it gives you another chance to learn the car and see what it can do differently.

based off my post history on another forum, looks like 20th april. i do remember a black FN2 behind me.
first outing, i think most of the group got a bit frustrated with the lotus refusing to indicate and move over to let us past. some of the caterhams and that black track beemer (600bhp i seem remember for some reason) were the only things passing. i do wish those atoms that turned up were running, would of loved to hitch a ride in one.

not done much to it yet. dunlop RT2 255/35/19's, remus cat-back, and TDI-Norths intercooler for the power stuff. standard rear pads and (still) loxy's HC800 pads he sold on that april date.
i'm now sporting more camber & dixcel Z rear pads. rt2's are too soft and get chewed up & roll over on sidewall a bit too much, but they'll be due for replacement near the end of the year so hoping i can put their replacement off till next spring and go cup2's for more grip.
Not sure if i'll be fitting rear brake cooling ducts before or after the september event. rather not burn through £180 rear pads every trackday but it's already known the projectMu NS pads aren't up to it. An NSX owner ran them with similar experience as me.

thanks for the merge loxy. cant figure out why i missed this main thread! :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised there isn't a thread already about trackday chat for FK2 owners... time to create one or no interest?

i'm off to my 2nd track day in september - Abingdon airfield.
My first day (at abingdon) showed rear brakes and tyre sidewall/edge as a weak spot so i've added some more camber with the dream balljoints and swapped the burnt out projectMu NS rear pads with something more track focused. who knew rear brakes would be a limit on a fwd car!
It's a vaguely familiar circuit and see how well the current changes react like on the car.

plenty of spaces left at Abingdon if anyone's interested (via MotorSport Events). Plan is also to run at donnington and/or mallory mid/late next year too once the FK2 is preped to handle track better. I really don't want brake issues in some of the corners on those two circuits.

ill be there on the 2nd september either in the fk2 or my megane f1,

I've a feeling your right. really doesn't seem to be much activity with FK2/FK8 track use. i know i'm not the first to track the car (fair few on youtube), but the experience I've had with the car it does feel like i'm the guinea pig and just finding things that should be visible to any one.

I keep seeing this 'make sure TC is fully off'. afaik simply pressing the TCS button till the light goes on the dash is fully off for the FK2. either way, it was in +R and TCS off for the trackday
on a pad size perspective, the FK2 is stupidly small. FK8's are noticeably bigger as are focusST's, 3-series, and '1-size-up-from-smallest' alfa's i saw shopping tonight. I'm wondering if the FK8 rears will fit the FK2 as a direct bolt-on replacement.

based off my post history on another forum, looks like 20th april. i do remember a black FN2 behind me.
first outing, i think most of the group got a bit frustrated with the lotus refusing to indicate and move over to let us past. some of the caterhams and that black track beemer (600bhp i seem remember for some reason) were the only things passing. i do wish those atoms that turned up were running, would of loved to hitch a ride in one.

not done much to it yet. dunlop RT2 255/35/19's, remus cat-back, and TDI-Norths intercooler for the power stuff. standard rear pads and (still) loxy's HC800 pads he sold on that april date.
i'm now sporting more camber & dixcel Z rear pads. rt2's are too soft and get chewed up & roll over on sidewall a bit too much, but they'll be due for replacement near the end of the year so hoping i can put their replacement off till next spring and go cup2's for more grip.
Not sure if i'll be fitting rear brake cooling ducts before or after the september event. rather not burn through £180 rear pads every trackday but it's already known the projectMu NS pads aren't up to it. An NSX owner ran them with similar experience as me.

thanks for the merge loxy. cant figure out why i missed this main thread! :S
I was a black ep3, I'm sure I was behind you on the first session and saw you a couple of other times.

The older lady in the silver lotus that was holding up most of the track?! The really wide beemer that was mental on the straight but couldn't keep it up round the corners? Sounds like the same day! Just looked at some footage, NFL your reg? 20/4 it was and I was most probs behind you for the first 10 laps while stuck behind that lotus!

Like I said, even at the start of the day you had some pace, I just didn't want to bin it and was learning the LSD so was taking it easy until the last few sessions as the car is still way more capable than I am!

yeah, thats mine... NFL.
on that days layout, turn 4 into 5 was a hoot once mastered. pre-lunch i just couldnt figure out why the brake board was so close to the corner. some experimentation, learning the car on track and a bit braver into it, it was all about using the brakes to turn the car.

like i said before, my only problems was cooking the rear pads at the last/first corner where the pits were. ended up going straight on, wiping out a cone and quick retirement to the pits to cool things off and figure out what went wrong.
also had a turbo hose blow off just as i started a new lap, but that was down to lubricating the hose with some past work. Turns out i should be using brake cleaner on turbo pipes to degrease and make the pipe sticky again.

The lotus was plain frustrating but once she realised the 2 laps of blue flags were for her, and figured out how to use the indicators, it was a good day.

lots learnt on that day with the FK2, septembers booking will be focusing more on tyre related stuff - pressures, heat patterns & wear to know if i need to tweak the camber more. factory is -1deg, i'm at -1.5deg but due to a machining issue from dream, thats the most i can currently get. me&CenterGravity were hoping more around -2deg but that just didn't work out. plus side, i have an extra 50% camber so see what its like.

Having done both Silverstone and donnington I found that the car performed very well on both, after Silverstone I fitted a Cusco rear anti roll bar as I felt when really pushing there was a little roll on the rear. I have michelin pilot super sports and they were unbelievable never once felt like they were going to give up and the grip was really good all day, brakes I felt were brilliant although at donnington my rears were quite low so didn't push as much in the afternoon as I wanted to but I've now gone for the PBS pads on the front and standard on the rear. First impressions of the PBS are really good, excellent initial bite and seem to get better the more you push them just waiting on the rears now. Power wise I have various mods and am booked in for ktuner next month but I'm not after high figures just want to optimise what I have but it gives me the opportunity to modify further if I choose, I'm going to do donnington again in September and am going to look at the tegiwa bottom ball joints and fast road set up hopefully before I go.

Having done both Silverstone and donnington I found that the car performed very well on both, after Silverstone I fitted a Cusco rear anti roll bar as I felt when really pushing there was a little roll on the rear.

The whole point of a stiffer rear anti roll bar is to increase front end grip.

Having done both Silverstone and donnington I found that the car performed very well on both, after Silverstone I fitted a Cusco rear anti roll bar as I felt when really pushing there was a little roll on the rear. I have michelin pilot super sports and they were unbelievable never once felt like they were going to give up and the grip was really good all day, brakes I felt were brilliant although at donnington my rears were quite low so didn't push as much in the afternoon as I wanted to but I've now gone for the PBS pads on the front and standard on the rear. First impressions of the PBS are really good, excellent initial bite and seem to get better the more you push them just waiting on the rears now. Power wise I have various mods and am booked in for ktuner next month but I'm not after high figures just want to optimise what I have but it gives me the opportunity to modify further if I choose, I'm going to do donnington again in September and am going to look at the tegiwa bottom ball joints and fast road set up hopefully before I go.

i found projectMu NS rear pads not man enough for the track. burnt through a set in 3months; 1 track, rest road. now running dixcel Z's and the first test will be early sept at Abingdon. Last run on these dunlop RT2's which will likely need replacing before i upgrade to cup2's.
i've got Dreams modded ball joints fitted, so that'll also be tested in sept. unfortunately i've only got -1.5deg camber with them as i didnt seem to get the -3deg like i originally bought. feel free to hold out for my thoughts on them in Sept. Hoping 1.5 will be enough, but i was originally hoping to get around 2deg..

Use something like RS29 pads and they’ll open your eyes to what decent pads are capable of.

currently on pMu HC800's fronts and Dixcel Z's for rear. Dream did claim the rears just aren't up to it and didn't seem too surprised about my pMu NS lifespan. i've seen an NSX guy run the same pads with same experiences - temps just too low so they turn to dust.
i was thinking about it today actually... I dont think it's so much the pads, but the issue of how honda spec'd the rear end. solid discs with small pad surface doesnt help with heat dissipation. over a longer session things just cant keep cool enough and eventually overheat.
Donnington has longer straights but i 'm suspecting circuits like abingdon and mallory with shorter runs & more braking will become an issue.

i suspect i'll be changing front discs late next year, so will need to look into what pads work best on those 2peice tarox/girodisc units.

just done a quick spec lookup peak friction levels are hc800'[email protected], and rs29's are 0.49u. rs29's have a lower max temp (700c). what makes them better on the track than the projectmu's?

Take some figures with a pinch of salt. Some pads claim a high temperature rating but it’s not for consistent running.
I’d be amazed if anyone can keep their brakes at a constant 700°C plus. More likely you’ll hit a peak temperature around this for a brief few seconds before coming off the brakes where they’ll dramatically cool down before the next braking zone.

i'll take both with a pinch of salt. neither seem to be sketchy companies so i'd say they're within the realm of possibilities.
reguardless, i am interested in trying the RS29's. seems to get a lot of praise in general, and they do seem to grip better when cold vs the HC800's, just wondered if there's something special between them that numbers don't show. ime, one company doesnt have something so much better than anyone else, so ultimately both are good choices and comes down to personal preference/cost/availability. Dixcel seem to get a lot of praise too...

just done a quick spec lookup peak friction levels are hc800'[email protected], and rs29's are 0.49u. rs29's have a lower max temp (700c). what makes them better on the track than the projectmu's?

Having used both back to back there is a huge difference in performance, resistance to fade and wear rate.

Give me a heads up when you do Donny again and i'll try and get over to say hello and a chat.

Back