• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Nidge's Cosmic EP3

Removing the interior plastics is a pain but thought I would do that first and the side skirts first as I haven't got a trolley jack yet.

Well, I have plenty of time on my hands during the current climate, so gives me something to do. I bought a new low profile trolley jack, but it doesn't jack the car high enough to get the axle stands under the sills. Improvisation required! :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work mate.

Well, I have plenty of time on my hands during the current climate, so gives me something to do. I bought a new low profile trolley jack, but it doesn't jack the car high enough to get the axle stands under the sills. Improvisation required! :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work mate.
Cheers. My thoughts exactly.

I had the same problem with my previous jack. It only just lifted the car enough to get the axle stands in place then it broke anyway.

I've ordered one that jack's up higher so hopefully it will do the job.

Sent from my moto e(6) plus using Tapatalk

Your doing a great job there Nidge.
Why does that area around the speakers rust? It’s internal so no exposed I would’ve thought.
I have done the carpet removal but not the skirts or rear interior.
Mines an 04 and I removed carpets a couple of years ago , cleaned and sealed everything. I was nervous after seeing other owners findings. Mine were pretty good , some rust on the front face of the wheel arch but no holes thankfully. I‘ve got a few minor scabs on the edge of the wheel arches which I’m keeping an eye on. Just which I took the carpets out years ago before the rust had started.
I’d say get those carpets out and bin them ASAP.
Not too keen on ripping out the interior , with me it never goes back the same:(
Might take the skirts off and check behind there. Are they easy to remove and will spare clips be needed?
Watching your thread with interest :smt023

Thanks mate.

I'm not really sure about the speaker area inside the car, but I do know from seeing photos on Facebook it's quite common so I thought while I was waiting for my new trolley jack to arrive I might as well take a look. I had great fun removing the interior but not sure if it'll go back the same way. Definitely need to buy a few new clips anyway.

I'm going to take the carpets off this weekend and see what's behind there and make a decision as to what to do after that.

The side skirts took some shifting. I was a bit worried I would break them.

You have to remove some clips from underneath the car by the sill in 2 places. Then undo a couple of bolts at the front arch. Finally the skirt should slide from the back of the car forwards. mine was bloody stiff and although I only broke 1 clip I will be replacing them all anyway.

Today I tried out the new jack. Seemed much more heavy duty and capable than the previous one. So got the car up on axle stands in no time:

GwKM2Vgh.jpg

Time to see what's lurking under this awful carpet and dirt:

R03S7rYh.jpg

First impressions weren't too bad, to be honest I was expecting far worse:

9bY7rNOh.jpg

JwXZ381h.jpg

I used some Surfex HD degreaser to clean the arches:

eKJjOzWh.jpg

On inspection although it doesn't look terrible a bit of prodding around on the nearside arch showed some weak areas so I think for me the next stage is to get it looked at properly as it will definitely need some welding work and once that's sorted get the whole car undersealed.

Nice work dude. When I took my carpet out, there were small holes, about the size of a 1p coin. After Mr Screwdriver had a look, the holes were the size of tennis balls :lol:

Tuned in for more updates :)

After sending photos to one place who refused to work on the car I have found somewhere local to remove the rust and repair the arches/inner quarter.

They have quoted me £900. Just need to check exactly what I'm getting for my money before committing to the repair.

Probably won't get done until September due to lack of funds but hey ho.

Welding maybe delayed a bit now due to finances.

Wife's stupid Fiat has just had a new exhaust, front discs and pads and it still needs rear discs and pads and a pair of front tyres!

Anyway need to feel the love with the car in it's sad state so gave it a good clean today. It could really do with a clay and machine polish including the faded headlights but for now a quick decon, wash and wax will do and it still looks reasonably glossy.

OyPE3c3h.jpg

M2t82Xgh.jpg

Nice clean up mate, Your rust doesn’t look as bad as mine was and if your confidence working on your ep3 then have a go at sorting the rust and underbody seal your self. I did mine recently as you might of seen, ( page 8 on my thread page below )
https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...P3-Premier-Edition-Nighthawk-Black-2005/page8
It took a few days, blood, sweat and angry tears :lol: and cost around £120 in materials. But well worth the effort and saved a lot of money. Looking forward to further updates.

Nice clean up mate, Your rust doesn’t look as bad as mine was and if your confidence working on your ep3 then have a go at sorting the rust and underbody seal your self. I did mine recently as you might of seen, ( page 8 on my thread page below )
https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...P3-Premier-Edition-Nighthawk-Black-2005/page8
It took a few days, blood, sweat and angry tears :lol: and cost around £120 in materials. But well worth the effort and saved a lot of money. Looking forward to further updates.

Credit to you. You have certainly done a great job on yours.

The rust on mine doesn't look that bad in the pictures but I could put my finger through some of it and I am not sure how extensive the rust is along behind the sills.

I don't mind tinkering with bits of the car here and there but my skill set and patience won't stretch to cutting out metal and welding :smt120 I don't have the equipment either. So although it's a bit costly I am happy to wait another couple of months and get it done by a professional.

Car looks great buddy. That cost seems a bit on the high side for the rust repairs. From memory, mine was about £400-£450 all in for both sides. Extent of work on mine shown, here:

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?105141-Cosmic-Grey-2005-EP3-Civic-Type-R/page2

Hope that helps.

That is helpful. Thanks.

Before I commit to the job I will be asking what exactly is included in the price and to what extent of rust I'm actually dealing with and make a decision on it.

Nice build and informative. After selling my Integra 2 years ago I've gone and bought a ep3 Type R 06 in the same colour so was keen to see what I need to do!

I'd heard about the rust in the speakers and arches, that will be fun to sort out.

Anymore progress on yours?

Nice build and informative. After selling my Integra 2 years ago I've gone and bought a ep3 Type R 06 in the same colour so was keen to see what I need to do!

I'd heard about the rust in the speakers and arches, that will be fun to sort out.

Anymore progress on yours?

Only progress made was passing an MOT last month and then I sold it. I needed something more practical in the end. I had been thinking about it for a while and with the welding that needed doing I finally decided it should go. I had it for 4 years and it was a pleasure owning it.

Back