• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Nidge's Cosmic EP3

Another quality build thread! The attention to detail that you guys have make these well worth the read :)

Sorry to hear about your most recent issues, hope you got them sorted :)
All is good. Don't worry about that. It would be bloody boring if nothing went wrong

PS if you buy one don't get black like SK-R's, Cosmic Grey is the fastest colour

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

All is good. Don't worry about that. It would be bloody boring if nothing went wrong

PS if you buy one don't get black like SK-R's, Cosmic Grey is the fastest colour

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Don't listen to this nonsense, I have yet to have a Cosmic EP3 pass me ;)

Not much to update really.

Haven't got the funds to do any modifications at the moment.

Car passed it's MOT back in February without issue, also did an oil change and generally just been enjoying driving it up until the last few weeks off course.

I've been meaning to start looking into possible rust issues and preservation as I think a lot of the facelift models seem to develop terrible rust around the arches etc.

While at home during this Covid-19 crisis I have seen more and more people on Facebook looking behind their side skirts and behind the rear speaker areas and finding lots of rust.

Up to now I have been too scared to look :lol:

Anyway yesterday I took the plunge and removed the side skirts and thankfully it was much better than I was expecting. Just needs a bit of a clean up:

HeKYKPQh.jpg

DOkdmCAh.jpg

I need to take the rear seats out next, remove the rear speaker panels and take a look behind there to see what's lurking. Then finally I will need to buy another trolley jack and remove the rear arch carpets. I dread to think what it's like behind there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you won’t find too much rust behind the carpet liners, I’m just in the process of treating my rust and underbody sealing and found two larges holes behind the carpet liners and a hole in the floor pan sill area. Fingers crossed you don’t find anything too nasty.

Looks a lot better than some of the facebook photos I've seen shared about mate. If it gets too bad to warrant a full respray, you can finally change to the faster NHB colour :p

At the end of the day these are old cars now and will start to require more than just basic TLC to keep them in tip top condition. It's something many owners will not do and that is where we will see a massive divide in the market between super clean examples and polished up rotting heaps.

Same is happening to Evos, Subbies, Skylines ect.. of that era.

Nice work there mate, never a better time to get cracked on! Mine were the same under the skirts, just a washed and polish required. Along with all new side skirt clips.

Behind my arch liner carpets was another story though, as you saw on my thread. All cut out, welded and sealed now though, and the rear arch liners binned.

Hope you manage to catch it early when you remove the rear liners!

Hopefully you won’t find too much rust behind the carpet liners, I’m just in the process of treating my rust and underbody sealing and found two larges holes behind the carpet liners and a hole in the floor pan sill area. Fingers crossed you don’t find anything too nasty.

Cheers. I have a feeling it might need a bit of work but we will see.

Looks a lot better than some of the facebook photos I've seen shared about mate. If it gets too bad to warrant a full respray, you can finally change to the faster NHB colour :p

At the end of the day these are old cars now and will start to require more than just basic TLC to keep them in tip top condition. It's something many owners will not do and that is where we will see a massive divide in the market between super clean examples and polished up rotting heaps.

Same is happening to Evos, Subbies, Skylines ect.. of that era.

Fingers crossed it won't be bad enough to need a respray in NHB :lol: It's not a nice job to have to do but I think I'll be keeping it for a while so may as well sort out the rust before it gets too bad.

Nice work there mate, never a better time to get cracked on! Mine were the same under the skirts, just a washed and polish required. Along with all new side skirt clips.

Behind my arch liner carpets was another story though, as you saw on my thread. All cut out, welded and sealed now though, and the rear arch liners binned.

Hope you manage to catch it early when you remove the rear liners!

I'm doing the skirts and behind the speaker first save the best bit (arches) until last.

So this morning I did this:

1mJpOuxh.jpg

Which left me with this:

6r6usxhh.jpg

So now I can take a look inside the speaker area and find this:

I0asdehh.jpg

I just need some advice as to what to do with it.

Think it's too tight to get any tools in there to rub it down. Do I need to get some sort of rust inhibitor to spray or paint on?

Well played for stripping this out, I would do the following method and use Bilt hamber products but there are many brands available, I just prefer built hamber.

*Fully clean and degrease the area 1st
*make sure it’s dry,
*remove as much rust as possible with a wire wheel on a drill / wire brushes , sand paper ect
*Apply Bilt hamber hydrate 80 rust converter to pitted areas where rust is bad,
*prime over rusted ares with Bilt hamber electrox zinc primer,
*paint over rust converted metal with Bilt hamber epoxy mastic,
*top coat with Bilt hamber ub wax.

It takes a long time as you have to wait for each stage to fully dry before applying the next product, but it’s worth it. Hope this helps, cheers

Nice work/progress!

That back corner is what I had cut out and replaced, shown on page 2 of my thread:
https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?105141-Cosmic-Grey-2005-EP3-Civic-Type-R/page2

Think I'll follow suit and take my rear interior out and protect/seal all down there :smt023

I use Hammerite Kurust & Waxoyl.

Removing the interior plastics is a pain but thought I would do that first and the side skirts first as I haven't got a trolley jack yet.

Well played for stripping this out, I would do the following method and use Bilt hamber products but there are many brands available, I just prefer built hamber.

*Fully clean and degrease the area 1st
*make sure it’s dry,
*remove as much rust as possible with a wire wheel on a drill / wire brushes , sand paper ect
*Apply Bilt hamber hydrate 80 rust converter to pitted areas where rust is bad,
*prime over rusted ares with Bilt hamber electrox zinc primer,
*paint over rust converted metal with Bilt hamber epoxy mastic,
*top coat with Bilt hamber ub wax.

It takes a long time as you have to wait for each stage to fully dry before applying the next product, but it’s worth it. Hope this helps, cheers

Thanks for the information. I have heard good things about Bilt Hamber and this explains perfectly what I need to get and what order to do it all in.

I've just ordered a new trolley jack so once that arrives I can get rid of those awful carpet liners and see what is lurking behind.

Back