• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Who makes the best BBK (Big Brake Kit)?

Stoptechs are amazing

I currently have D2's which are nowhere near as good (but vastly better than OEM still).

We have the Stoptech 330mm BBK on our track car, it's amazing over the standard front set up!

We have the Stoptech 330mm BBK on our track car, it's amazing over the standard front set up!

Is it possible to put big brakes on front and leave standards on back?

Turners I've spoken to have said not a good idea, but couple people I spoke to at Track day said otherwise.

I had great session at weekend, engine and chassis great, but the brakes really do let it down, but I hadn't really accounted for Stoptechs.

Exploring different options.

I guess with stoptechs, there is probably a pretty good used value, so although it's a big outlay, when you're done, you could take them off and get at least some of your cash back and replace the standards! (Man Maths in action) :D

I wanted to revive this thread last year when I had similar questions but wasn’t brave enough lol

I can give my own experience if you like.

I went with Brembo calipers off the newer model Megane RS. I got them from Freaky Parts. They look great and stop very well. I was slightly dubious about the rears being out of balance but there was no obvious issue I experienced with mine. The way it was explained to me is that with a FWD hatch, when you brake hard the rear gets light. Improving brake force to the rear could if anything increase instability. Better to introduce more force at the front where the majority of the weight is being transferred.

I had 345 2 piece rotors with mine. Probably overkill if I’m honest and if I had the choice again would probably go 324mm to save some unsprung weight

I've been looking at the Megane Brembo kit from freaky parts. It looks like a good option.

Do you think it's worth the upgrade for the price? From my calculations they work out around £700 - £800 before fitting.

The Wilwood Dynalite front calipers are also of interest as I have just read this thread: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?91976-Ted-s-track-day-EP3
I can't seem to see pricing and fitment anywhere for the Willwood kit though.

I wanted to revive this thread last year when I had similar questions but wasn’t brave enough lol

I can give my own experience if you like.

I went with Brembo calipers off the newer model Megane RS. I got them from Freaky Parts. They look great and stop very well. I was slightly dubious about the rears being out of balance but there was no obvious issue I experienced with mine. The way it was explained to me is that with a FWD hatch, when you brake hard the rear gets light. Improving brake force to the rear could if anything increase instability. Better to introduce more force at the front where the majority of the weight is being transferred.

I had 345 2 piece rotors with mine. Probably overkill if I’m honest and if I had the choice again would probably go 324mm to save some unsprung weight

Use of the original rotor with a more capable monoblock 4 pot is exactly the philosophy Spoon went with for their kit so I don’t see why these wouldn’t be a good option for the money. For street use and track days they’d be good I’m sure.

My thoughts exactly. I'm am extremely tempted by this kit ;).

Use of the original rotor with a more capable monoblock 4 pot is exactly the philosophy Spoon went with for their kit so I don’t see why these wouldn’t be a good option for the money. For street use and track days they’d be good I’m sure.

I run the megane kit. I like that the calipers are easy to source as are the discs (350z or slightly cheaper Morano) which gives a fair bit of choice to pads and discs.

So far I haven't had any fade or issues at all. The carbotech pads I run have help up well on track, if a bit noisy and dusty for the road.

All in all I'm really happy with the brakes.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I run the megane kit. I like that the calipers are easy to source as are the discs (350z or slightly cheaper Morano) which gives a fair bit of choice to pads and discs.

So far I haven't had any fade or issues at all. The carbotech pads I run have help up well on track, if a bit noisy and dusty for the road.

All in all I'm really happy with the brakes.

I run the same...

Brembo1.jpg

Mine are also standard rears, just running pbs pads to deal with the heat a bit better. Luckily I did as one rear caliper seized on a few months later and the disc was glowing put pads were fine!

Mike were from projekt k, or k system pro. It's a polish company. Freaky parts also do a kit.

Think I'm going to go for the K-System BBK.

My standard brakes fade really easily, even sometimes when they're not that hot, I have had a few stained pants moments on tracks with them.

It's not just the cheaper outlay at the start, it's the on-going consumables. The cost of replacing the discs for Stop-Tech and Yellowspeed are harsh. At least with the K-System, there are quite a few options for discus and pads, just making it a bit more of an affordable track toy, the you take into account, regular tyre replacement etc.

For the money they're an excellent option in my opinion.

For mainly track I'd recommend some decent pads. Carbotech have worked really well for me, though next time I'll try the RSL29 pads as heard nothing but good things about them. The pads are expensive but these carbotech have lasted ages compared to my previous pbs and ds2500.

Back