• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Who makes the best BBK (Big Brake Kit)?

There is so much choice out there but I could do with some practical help!

I'd really like some 4 or 6 Pot calipers and 2 piece discs, as my car is going to do some trackdays and I don't like running out of brakes, but I gather that some calipers require a hefty spacer for the standard wheels to fit!

330mm looks like a good size to upgrade to - but then I understand that it is the thickness that cools them more effectively, so a thicker disc can work just as well as a bigger diameter but thinner disc. So a 300-305mm disc in 28mm diameter might be sufficient and also keep the upsprung weight down over a 330 x 26mm ...

I've looked at AP Racing (which I've had before and trust implicitly), plus the Brembos - but at min. £2K and £2.4k respectively - they are just silly money as a proportion of the cars value and I've already spent a pile on upgrades to go on.

Cheaper but efficient options look to be:
Yellowspeed
Compbrake
Stoptech
D2
K-Sport
Spoon 4 Pot Calipers (std sized discs)

Can anyone recommend something that just fits with a minimal spacer, gives that hard pedal feel and supreme stopping power? And they need to be sub £1500!

Or will I be fine if I just go and buy a set of braided hoses, Stoptech Sport Slotted (but standard sized) discs, some RBF600 and some Pagid RS42-2's ....

821a7092.jpg

0162ab9a.jpg

Only about £1200 when I bought mine.

821a7092.jpg

0162ab9a.jpg

Only about £1200 when I bought mine.

Oh those look nice :D .... and if I could find a new set even close to that number - there would be no debate! Best quote I've had so far is £1,985 for the 4 pot black calipers (fully road spec with proper seals) and £2,015 plus a 4 week lead time for the red versions. :noseblow:

Stoptech with some Carbotech XP10 pads, don't forget to look at cooling such as brake ducts etc.

D2 are shid. I had them and warpped a disc. I went back to 300mm discs and Spoon Calipers and they were awesome to be honest.

I'm getting the stoptech bbk fitted on fri by TGM, which I thought would be overkill for a daily driver. Dooksy surely the kit is enough.

I'm getting the stoptech bbk fitted on fri by TGM, which I thought would be overkill for a daily driver. Dooksy surely the kit is enough.

I get where you're coming from, but more me there is nothing more confidence inspiring than a really good set of brakes ..... Especially when you have a reputation for being "last of the late brakers" ....Irritatingly, I've just found an expired special offer on your kit! Back in August last year, Eight Speed were doing them for £1,449 all in!

I run Spoon calipers up front. RPB discs front and rear with Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear. Extra cooling added to front brakes.
A lot of the big brake kits don't come with a high performance pad and disc replacement can be really expensive. So something to bare in mind when adding up the costs.
Spoon calipers use the standard size disc and pads. My discs and pads for front and rear cost around £600. I'd imagine if I had a big brake set up and got equivalent quality discs and pads it would be over £1k in parts.

I'd say ap or Alcon have to be the best. I have a project k kit on my car they are really good for a sensible price 328mm discs and brembo calipers

Last edited by a moderator:
So, a brand new series with a new car.

I wouldn't put D2 and Stoptech in the same category, Stoptech are vastly superior to both Yellowspeed and D2.

Although I can't comment if D2 and Yellowspeed are in the same category as Stoptech since I haven't had either of the former but what I can tell you is that the Stoptech 328mm kit is an amazing setup with Pagid RS29 pads. They have put in the fastest time at the Nordschleife and 25 min sessions at Brands Indy (There are very little straights to cool them) every 20 mins or so for around 5 hours, without any sign of damage or wear and tear. All the rubbers are in top condition (I have a good clean and inspection pre/post track outing) and the construction is very good and i'm confident they will last a long time. I really do use the brakes hard and all components have stood up exceptionally.

I can put a comparison together albeit a different much heavier car. I had Alcon BBK on my E92 M3 front and rear with Pagid RS29 and used them on the ring as well. The Alcons were fantastic and the Stoptechs are every bit their equal. Even with the massive price difference. Circa £1800 for the EP3 and £3000 for the M3 (for the fronts) although I acknowledge the sizes are somewhat different. The thing to note is that I didn't know the 'ring very well when I had my E92 so the brakes weren't used nowhere near as hard as the EP is now.

In regards with Yellowspeed, I use their race coilover kit and it is well made with no knocking or leaks. I know its not a brake kit but if they have the same quality as the coilover kit you won't go far wrong.

If I had to buy a kit all over again I would still get the Stoptechs, I know APs are sexier but the 328mm Stoptech kit does everything I want it to do, i.e. go fast as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had both Willwood and AP's in the past - but I simply don't want to spend the £2K required to get them on my EP3.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Stoptech 328mm, but discounts are hard to come by and whilst I might be taking a bit of a risk on the Yellowspeeds, they're nearly half the price, so I'm prepared to try them and see what I think, objectively. On pads - I'm right with Mr_gangrel - I love those Pagids - I've used them and the RS4-2 for years - so they might be a great combination with the Yellowspeeds!

Back