• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 overheating

GT3

I took my FK8 to Spa this weekend, it was an absolutely epic track day and the car performed amazingly.

The only problem was with overheating - the coolant temperature warning light would come on after 10 mins of hard track use. The car would then have reduced power until it cooled down again. It was 22 degrees Celsius at about 70% humidity - warm, but nothing crazy.

I've seen plenty of posts on Civicx, but their climate is far hotter than here. I can't find much about it on this forum - has anyone else had overheating issues in similar conditions? If so, how did you cure it?

I'm sure Arcam will come along shortly, but yes an issue and currently no cheap solution. It's one of the reasons I have been hesitant to track mine.

I think you need a secondary rad, upgraded main rad, better air flow through the grill and possibly vented bonnet.

I took my FK8 to Spa this weekend, it was an absolutely epic track day and the car performed amazingly.

The only problem was with overheating - the coolant temperature warning light would come on after 10 mins of hard track use. The car would then have reduced power until it cooled down again. It was 22 degrees Celsius at about 70% humidity - warm, but nothing crazy.

I've seen plenty of posts on Civicx, but their climate is far hotter than here. I can't find much about it on this forum - has anyone else had overheating issues in similar conditions? If so, how did you cure it?
Yep, I have had loads of overhearing on the Nurburgring, particularly with a passenger and 25+c temps. I had the warning light on twice, most annoying.

Just back from a double day (DN22) and set a 15 sec a lap quicker time in the damp and 12c temp than in summer in hot temps plus no cooling issues.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thank you both. Good to know it's not an issue with my car, but also annoying that it affects them all so isn't an easy fix!

@Arcam have you made any mods to help keep things cool?

I did a bit of reading and it partly seems to be an airflow issue to the radiator - lots of people in the US run larger upper radiator grilles. Interestingly, one of the FK8 test mules spotted testing at the Nurburgring was running with no upper grille at all, go figure...

446170b4-1b55-4d4d-8dba-26547af429cc-jpeg.146286

Got to say, I'm pretty surprised at Honda marketing it as a track weapon, yet it being unable to run longer than 10 minutes on track at room temperature.

All the US lot that track have been trying many options with very limited success, I believe that air flow is the key and the front grille we have is very restrictive, a bigger rad will not help as there is not enough air flow to remove the heat. So that leave you with bonnet vents and modding the grille, personally I like the idea of a water spray bar for both the IC and rad with a 10Lt tank, if I keep the car for next year's track season it is something I will give serious thought to.

I did quite a lot of reading about the issue before I bought mine and it seems Arcam is spot on with it being an airflow issue. A more open grill and vented bonnet are the most effective changes.

Did you have the AC on?

I turned AC off after the first session.

I later left the windows open a little and had hot air blowing through the vents, to try and evacuate some of the heat from the engine bay. It seemed to help a little!

Taking a look at the facelift, the upper grille is definitely a different shape and more open. The current gen seems to curve downwards is tight to the Type R badge, whereas the new one is straight and there's more of a gap above the badge. There also seems to be a couple of new openings in the side (previously fake) vents.

CTR.jpg

The number plate also seems to block some of the flow into the lower opening, so I might look at reducing the size of that too.

£700!? :smt033

didn't realise that style was a J's grill. love the badgeless look.

being conditioned to the cost of the FK2R mods, £700 is cheap :D

I'm fond of the badge-less look too, along with the fact that the opening is like a funnel, tunneling air from a larger diameter opening a'la ram induction (can be seen in the side-on views).

£700 may seem steep but I bet it's the poor exchange rate working against us for that.

J's Racing also do a race-spec bonnet in either FRP or full carbon with larger openings etc for heat escape which I'd assume is eye-wateringly expensive.

I have removed the front number plate grill courtesy of a pigeon :D It certainly won't do any harm. If I was committed with this car I would have a go at hacking the grill, as I think badgeless and completely open except mush would look great and massively help.

I have removed the front number plate grill courtesy of a pigeon :D It certainly won't do any harm. If I was committed with this car I would have a go at hacking the grill, as I think badgeless and completely open except mush would look great and massively help.
Haha nice. How easy was it to remove? I've heard it's bolted on from the back.

I'm looking to remove the plate and holder, and replace it with a smaller stick-on front plate! But I think there will be a couple of bolt holes I'll need to fill in.

Stick some pics up Matt so we can see how big the opening is now with a bust grille.

Yup will do, the plinth slides off, getting the bolts off properly would involve removing the bumper. The holes are no more than 5mm round, I simply velcroed on the plate, covers the holes.

Bit too dark in garage at the moment but will do a pic in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Matt, unfortunately I don't do Facebook I will ask my missus to check the links from her account

Back