• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2: Oil Level Low Light ON! :(

Dear all,

i have a 2015 FK2 Civic Type R UK Spec, and the Oil Level Low light has lit up on my dash. so i popped the hood and checked the dipstick and oil level is just barely touching the dipstick!

i only have 3000km on the car and now i have some worries:

1) what causes the engine to consume engine oil? maybe becox of these new turbo engines?
2) what kinda oil should i to add back into the engine? the owners manual only listed out oils in Honda specified oils but not in degrees (i.e.. 05w30 / 10w40 / etc.)

thanks guys i am very worried! please reply shortly! help! :(

Dominic

Don't rely on oil light mate
If you have been driving fast oil will burn and keep an eye on the levels regardless
I think its 0w 20

Yeh I'm with Loxy here. No idea why you're using. I'm on 6000 miles and I'm still fine. I would like to hear what Honda have to say about your car if you're planning on taking it in.

my car is actually @ Hong Kong, a grey import into HK, fcuk i should have bought one from the local dealer instead.

you guys think it has anything to do with the tropical heat around here???? maybe its cooler @ the UK????

thx and pls reply shortly :(

dear all,

thanks for all the kind replies.

temperatures for water and oil are all normal.

what to do!!!!!!!??????????

I asked what are the normal temps because you intimated that HK was warmer and so might be something to do with the high usage, not if they were normal. One person's normal is another's extreme.

Normal oil temps are under 100C on road, 120C on track and it shouldn't be using any oil at those temps from what I've seen.

If it is still using oil after a top up, it's either leaking or there is an issue with an oil seal causing the oil to get burned up during running. That being said, I'm sure the manual will say 1l of oil used per 800 miles or 1280 km is acceptable. That was in the previous CTR manuals.

I can't see how an Engine is acceptable consuming 1lt every 800 miles (certainly not a dig at you Loxy just shocked it's acceptable)

for an engine to use that much oil there must be an issue. Piston rings , valve guide Seals and so on. A lot harder to tell on modern cars with Cats being so efficient giving no indication with exhaust gas colours.

Would also like to see Hondas response.

Engine bedding in is one factor but should settle, Has it been overfilled at all or has the engine got excessively Hot at any point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it that's the first time you've heard that? It's been in Type R manuals since 2001 as far as I know. :lol:

I've heard of brand new cars using a fair bit of oil while they go through bedding in process. If it carries on though I'd be worried.

Just been and got the FK2 manual, its even better. 1l to 625 miles.

IMAG4178_1.jpg

Still not used any on mine.

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!! very relieved now, will add this honda 0w20 back in tmw..

BTW, what other BETTER engine oils do you guys recommend for this 2015 Turbo FK2 Civic Type R????

I'm shocked at that figure. Working on engines for years and never known an engine to use so much oil. Id be gutted if mine used that much due to the cost of decent oils.

Mines on 100k now and dosent use a 1/2 a litre every 10,000

Back