• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 What and when to buy?

I've yet to see any real deals/no one talks about them. Few early demo ones are under £30k now but that's all. There's always an offer on a Golf R/M140i/RS but I'm guessing the Type-R is still too new? Hopefully by March a few deals may come up

I imagine few people (myself included) want to explicitly mention what deal they got as anyone new buying a car will use that as the new base level for negotiation and ultimately deflate future values

I think for a new car I got a pretty amazing deal. What amazing is, is obviously subjective

"I paid cash for mine and plan to own it for 10 years. I’ll worry about what it’s worth later after I’ve put 100,000 miles on it."

I absolutely meant that as well. If you knew the circumstances in which I was forced to part company with my FK2. You would understand why I chose not to go back to the FK2 and go with the newer car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it really matter? Just get a deal that suits you irrespective. What’s right for one may not be right for someone else.

As I said I paid cash for mine as I didn’t see the point of paying £3k extra on pcp over its term but that’s not to say the pcp option is the wrong one.

I've paid cash for 4 new cars in a row now. As long as you don't keep them longer than a couple of years you can limit your losses.
The other alternative is keep for ages and get your money's worth.

One dealer was offering about £1400 off on carwow but now rather annoyingly withdrawn it
I visited a Luxembourg dealership last wend and they offered 5% off for a TypeR gt. But due to the few issues(gearbox grind, cooling) I prefer to wait a bit and see how it works. The test car's gearbox was ok and not notchy unlike the FK2R test car.

I've paid cash for 4 new cars in a row now. As long as you don't keep them longer than a couple of years you can limit your losses.
The other alternative is keep for ages and get your money's worth.
I plan to keep the car at least 10 years.

is Lux right or left hand drive?

reason I ask is I don't know anyone with RHD that has had any grind issues....just wondered if its a Lefty thing somehow with an opposite wrist action if you see what I mean....

I visited a Luxembourg dealership last week and they offered 5% off for a TypeR gt.
That would have been worth £1676 off the total price of my car....which would have been a lot better than the £0 I actually got.
Having said that I got about £1k more for my trade in than what I was expecting so wasn't too bad. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
is Lux right or left hand drive?

reason I ask is I don't know anyone with RHD that has had any grind issues....just wondered if its a Lefty thing somehow with an opposite wrist action if you see what I mean....
Lux is left hand drive. If not mistaken I think the whole mainland Europe is LHD.
Yeah I see what you mean, def that is a difference(1st to 2nd: pull for RHD vs push for RHD). I follow other forums also(Civicx...) and owners mentioned that grinding was related with turning. Also recently one posted in the grinding thread that he changed the engine mounts to aftermarket stiffer ones. While there is some more vibration(understandable) he says that gearbox change became smoother and no grinds so far. So I keep hoping. It could be that under steering/other conditions if engine+gearbox move then the shifter guide is not pulling the gear up to the final position although you see it fully engaged into 2nd. Hence the grind.

That would have been worth £1676 off the total price of my car....which would have been a lot better than the £0 I actually got.
Having said that I got about £1k more for my trade in than what I was expecting so wasn't too bad. :)
I guess demand is higher in UK maybe. Here the dealership had one of each color in stock. They checked and on order I could have even got a new PMM one in 3 weeks.

I'm still hoping grinding issue will be sorted out and I'll be able to buy a FK8R next year. After this test I abandoned the other alternatives:

- Bmw M2 LCI - tested 1 on the same day with FK8R and was unimpressed. Boring interior sound & too quiet, FK8R one is more dramatic changes tonality. M2 acceleration is too linear you don't feel the violent thrust delivery from FK8R. More body roll than FK8R in the corners. FK8 has more grip, stays more planted on corners. Still nice car in white with M perf livery. You can drift, play with it but better on the track. I'm not tracking the car. I can not justify paying 55k EUR(after 9% discount)
- 718 Cayman in another league than M2 - more stable, huge lateral grip, better chassis balance, nicest/loudest interior sound when revved, racing cockpit atmosphere. A Porsche. However too rigid warranty terms, more expensive regular maintenance(doing outside Porsche would decrease resale value), further maintenance difficult/expensive due to the closed engine placement(hard to reach out, you need qualified technicians). Plus driving a Porsche is not that discrete. Otherwise is a great car. 60k with PASM, Chrono, 20" wheels, LSD, some other bits is not bad. But although not refined FK8R is close in performance(faster even on track), more practical and more basic car. It suits me more.
- Megane RS - saw one in showroom. That orange pearl chameleon is killer. But early reviews say while the drive terrain is more refined it lacks the grunt of TypeR engine up to higher revs. For me is a show stopper. I could wait the Trophy version but I guess that one will be over 40k and too hardcore for everyday driving.
-Golf R/Audi RS/Seat Cupra R they are too boring styles so I don't bother

From my experience, Nick at Perth Honda is open to discussing a sensible deal.
There’s only a small margin to play with in the UK cars but, if you’re trading something in on which the salesman should make a profit, then they’re likely to do a deal.
For example (ahem), if you’re planning to use the car every day then you might enquire about a set of heavily discounted 19” black (FK2) Cobra alloys with winter tyres. And, while you’re in the showroom, take the opportunity to drool over the Merc AMG SLS they have for sale.

Good luck.
Neil

From my experience, Nick at Perth Honda is open to discussing a sensible deal.
There’s only a small margin to play with in the UK cars but, if you’re trading something in on which the salesman should make a profit, then they’re likely to do a deal.
For example (ahem), if you’re planning to use the car every day then you might enquire about a set of heavily discounted 19” black (FK2) Cobra alloys with winter tyres. And, while you’re in the showroom, take the opportunity to drool over the Merc AMG SLS they have for sale.

Good luck.
Neil

I went in to speak to Nick and his sales colleague at Perth today. Funnily enough it was a fairly open "cards on the table" type chat which was quite good fun and refreshing. I mentioned your comments and he did smile, especially when I said I couldn't afford the free winter alloys ;) I had their Dundee branch's Sonic Grey demo car for last weekend. It's a red car I'm interested in and Perth are getting a red demo in a couple of weeks so I'm holding off till I see that but I expect it will be a formality.

He mentioned you were getting the PPF fitted locally. I'll probably pop along to see it being fitted to your car before I decide whether to do the same. I've got the self healing stuff on an Ultima and it's probably saved me from a lot of stone chips over the past few years.

Are you local?
"This is a local shop for local people" :lol:
I am in Kirkcaldy. I first tried Western Honda at Dunfermline but they insulted me with their trade in offer, so I gave West End Garage in Dundee a call and spoke to Chris. He got me their very first FK8 which was meant to be their demonstrator, but kept it for me.
Very straightforward experience....which was refreshing. :)

I’ll be in on Saturday 24th having the scheduled post-installation check up of my other car’s PPF, which is handy because I’ll see the Civic getting finished off at the same time. Other car was nose to tail Xpel PPF then ceramic’d but the Civic PPF will only be full front, high impact side areas, and roof (I can only assume we live near a seagull thoroughfare in Fife, that or there’s a lost albatross poooping on cars locally). Plus all-over ceramic, of course.

I’ll maybe see you to say hello in person if you’re planning to visit my new car on the 24th!

Neil

Good to see some fellow Fifer's on the forum.

I have seen an FK8 in the showroom in Dunfermline but i have still not seen one in the wild.

The Dunfermline showroom is my local dealership: I test drove their car. And have ordered the same spec: black GT.
Unfortunately Dunfermline wouldn’t do the deal I was looking for, hence I called Perth dealership with the exact same offer that I previously put to Dunfermline. Nick answered the phone and the rest, as they say, is history.
So you’ll see one on the roads around Dunfermline in few weeks time...

Back