• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

GT3

Thought I'd create a thread to park the videos I get from various track days.

I did a Brands Hatch evening earlier this week which was good fun. Highlights include a McLaren 570S, BMW M140i and M3.

[video=youtube;edEXReSwZJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEXReSwZJI[/video]

It was 30 degrees C at 60% humidity - the temperature gauge got close to the top after about 10 mins but never overheated. Car is standard with Michelin PSC2 tyres.

Not my best driving, I need to get used to the FWD layout, but it was still ridiculously fast despite the ham-fisted driving.

not the bits I saw :lol: Only jesting

reminds me of a time someone did that at work...and lets just say what he had been watching was probably not wise sharing with half the office hahaha

not the bits I saw :lol: Only jesting

reminds me of a time someone did that at work...and lets just say what he had been watching was probably not wise sharing with half the office hahaha
Must admit I did have a panic search through my viewing history when you said that!

Nice! Planning on taking mine to Cadwell end of Aug, will be very different to the FN2 it replaced. Reassuring that you didn’t have significant heat problems in 30c heat.

Is it a daily? Are you planning on running Cup 2’s though winter?

It's more of a weekend car, although I do use it in all weathers (the London Underground is my daily).

I'm thinking about replacing them with Michelin PS4S when they're spent. The PSC2 have a lot of compromises for that little bit of extra dry grip - 2mm less tread from new, more expensive to buy, less wet grip, aquaplaning risk when they get low on tread.

That being said, they do feel amazing in the dry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could run two sets of wheels

Set 1) With Rainsport 3's for road use, and wet tracks

Set 2) With a proper semi slick for dry/damp track use

In the long term it'll be cheaper than running your current tyres which are more of a jack-of-all-trades tyre

i really like these cup2's on my fk2. i did donington on a wet day and was pretty much the fastest thing out there. i dont recall anything passing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdqm4-j1P5w). cup2 fronts, ps4s's rear.
wouldnt run 'em in winter through. shortly after i had them fitted, we had a few days of around 8c and wet - they just didnt grip. not a problem as i run winter tyres although i am seriously thinking about going all season's when i replace.

You could run two sets of wheels

Set 1) With Rainsport 3's for road use, and wet tracks

Set 2) With a proper semi slick for dry/damp track use

In the long term it'll be cheaper than running your current tyres which are more of a jack-of-all-trades tyre
It is a good idea and something I've thought about doing it before. I think the thing that holds me back is that I like having a car that's great all round - if I take it on a road trip, I won't be taking another set of wheels and tyres with me.

I'm actually thinking about replacing them with a set of the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports that were released this year. They recently beat both the Continental SC6 and Michelin PS4S in the Tyre Reviews summer tyre test.

Unfortunately they're only available in a taller sidewall 245/35/20 size, which would likely lose a little steering response and raise the centre of gravity very slightly. I do like the idea of a bit more sidewall to protect the rim, though. They're also much cheaper in that size - £155 per tyre versus £220 for my current Cup 2's.

i really like these cup2's on my fk2. i did donington on a wet day and was pretty much the fastest thing out there. i dont recall anything passing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdqm4-j1P5w). cup2 fronts, ps4s's rear.
wouldnt run 'em in winter through. shortly after i had them fitted, we had a few days of around 8c and wet - they just didnt grip. not a problem as i run winter tyres although i am seriously thinking about going all season's when i replace.
That's a very wet day!

I had them at Anglesey in about 10C and damp, here's a vid of us chasing down a Lotus Exige race car. Plenty of lift off oversteer after the first lap!

[video=youtube;ue3JkNMW5e0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3JkNMW5e0[/video]

That's a very wet day!

I had them at Anglesey in about 10C and damp, here's a vid of us chasing down a Lotus Exige race car. Plenty of lift off oversteer after the first lap!

[video=youtube;ue3JkNMW5e0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3JkNMW5e0[/video]

Quite the contrast in weather when I was there on Easter Sunday in my Exige, was red hot!! great track.

I'd like to return there when it's dry again, or alternatively in the wet with some Goodyear Supersports or Michelin PS4S! It is a great track.

Some footage from Spa this weekend.

I'm back on Continental SC6, in 245/35/20 size. I was very impressed with them, actually!

[video=youtube;OSptSpQCCQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSptSpQCCQ4[/video]

Nice! Would love to go to spa at some point.

Can I ask why you switched from the cup 2’s? I was considering a set for the summer/track days next year.

I found the SC6’s rolled over onto the sidewalls unless you put a lot of pressure in at which point they quickly overheated.

i cant really fault the cup2's. definately getting them again if i decide to go road/track tyres.
they do struggle a bit in cold&wet but i'd say thats quite normal for what they are. not a tyre you'd want anywhere near winter conditions though.

cost is the biggest issue with cup2's tbh.

Nice! Would love to go to spa at some point.

Can I ask why you switched from the cup 2’s? I was considering a set for the summer/track days next year.

I found the SC6’s rolled over onto the sidewalls unless you put a lot of pressure in at which point they quickly overheated.
Spa was absolutely amazing, even better than expected. I'd highly recommend it!

Regarding tyres, there were loads of factors that lead me to purchase the SC6's. Main considerations for me were the combination of wet and dry braking/handling, as well as the sidewall stiffness that affects how the car feels.

One of the reasons I went with the Cup 2's was to get a stiff sidewall that didn't take from the overall feel of the car. After removing the Cup 2's recently, I was surprised to feel that they actually had (much) softer sidewalls than the SC6's. Using Michelin's recommended pressures (36F / 33R hot), the Cup 2's rolled over and I ended up scrubbing some of the lettering off the sidewalls at Brands Hatch. I think Michelins generally have quite soft sidewalls - lots of people mention that the PS4S gives the car a 'floaty' feel - they're probably even softer than the Cup 2's.

Using 44F / 38R hot pressures for the SC6's, they didn't roll over onto the sidewalls at all (to my utter surprise). Having seen a friend completely scrub the lettering off the SC6's on his FK2 in one track day, I was expecting them to go the same way. They also didn't overheat at Spa and felt great for the duration of the sessions.

I also wanted tyres that were better in the wet. The SC6s are the best all round tyre in Type R size, quite comfortably beating the Michelin PS4S in both dry and wet handling. See the results here. On the road, the Cup 2's have less grip than the SC6's, because you can't get enough heat into them. Once warmed up on track, the Cup 2's have more grip but the SC6's aren't far behind.

Lastly, I wanted tyres that protected the rims from potholes a little more, hence the 35 profile. A bonus is that 4x Contis in 245/35/20 size are £650 a set (and come with 7mm tread), compared to Cup 2's in 245/30/20 size being £950 a set (with 6mm tread).

The Cups are surprisingly grippy in the wet, you just need to be careful with them when it's cold and wet, and also for aquaplaning when they're low on tread. To be honest, I'm just shocked at how good the SC6's felt. My recommendation would be a set of those in 245/35/20 size.

TL;DR: I wanted a tyre with good feel, that was better in the wet and would protect my rims a bit more. Contis in 245/35/20 size, using 44F 38R hot pressures didn't roll over onto the sidewalls at all, didn't overheat and felt great for the duration of my sessions at Spa. This was completely unexpected.

Back