• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Quality issues

I have opened this thread for us all to list quality issues we are experiencing with our new purchases. Please don't think this is a knock, it isn't however I am disappointed with the quality of the car to date, including the latest issue. If anyone else has experienced any of the issues below and has a resolution then please post on here.

• Squeaky brakes, tried everything but still squeak hot or cold but only in slow traffic. Had Brembos on my RS no issues, and my CTR discs are very shiny !!
  • Oil warning light came on, red !
  • Tyre inflation or Tyre monitor comes on all the time despite repeated re-calibrations and using the same pump at all times.
  • Rattle from dash.... intermittent
  • The "Warning approaching Object" often comes on in stationary traffic for no reason.
  • And lastly the ACC when i'm following a car it works, keeps behind car and doesn't exceed input speed, however when no car in front it accelerates!!! Past the input speed.... worrying.
  • The LKAS warning symbol comes on when it's switched off ......disconcerting on country roads.

Please record the squeaky brakes and send it to honda uk. I sent mine the other day and now waiting for their response.
luckily no other issues .

Ian defo looks like you have got a wrongun there mate - feel for you.

Only issue for me is they don't appear to have applied clear coat to the paint in the rear arches very well or not at all. Road grime and filth sprayed up from the tyres got contaminated with the paint. Although tar remover and a magic sponge reduced it, complete PITA. I recommend all fellow OCDs to apply protective film to the paint vulnerable in the arches to prevent this and stone chips.

Ive reported the brake squeal issue to Honda.....decibels wise is it legal ???? It must be near 70db I would say at a guess.

Honda won't do anything about it, it's been posted on here numerous times so all you're doing is wasting your time.

Go drive the car hard and do some heavy braking, the noise should go. Failing that, copper grease on the back of the pads will help.

Why on earth would it be illegal?

Ian not sure if you said in another thread but what made you get rid of the RS? As that was on the list of next possible car, along with a 140 and leon cupra 300

Can someone check beneath their arches of the rear wheels, where there is like a fabric like material, it doesn't fully cover up the curved arch and the fabric sticks out.
Also on the triangle shaped window on the side on the passenger side, the seal kinda of like sticks out and not fully sealed in.

See image for the locations, can owners who have the car check these points too and if they have the same issue!

P.S I do love the car by the way! The drive is great :)

Attachments

• niggles.jpg
    niggles.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 72
The rear door seal was an issue for a few FK2 owners, I've had it twice since new.
All it needs is working back in to place, a 1 minute job. I read fk2 owners taking it back to the dealer to sort theirs which I found a tad over reaction.

If owners are new to Hondas then I can understand their frustration but if they've come from Honda to Honda then I think they'd kind of expect the typical Honda issues/characteristics and brush most of them off.
Is it right in a 36k car no but to me it's what Honda are, only my 2nd Honda but I'd buy another without a doubt

I was just wondering how many decibels it was. People can hear it when im on hands free....arent there limits on noise from vehicles ?

Honda won't do anything about it, it's been posted on here numerous times so all you're doing is wasting your time.

Go drive the car hard and do some heavy braking, the noise should go. Failing that, copper grease on the back of the pads will help.

Why on earth would it be illegal?

Copper grease only works for so long. Had the same problem with my 86, Toyota copper greased the pads, the brakes where silent for a few miles then the squealing came back.

Squeaky brakes are a nightmare to live with. Hard braking doesn’t always resolve the problem either. Getting rid of the car completely and buying a FK2 solved all my brake squeal problems though ...

Copper grease only works for so long. Had the same problem with my 86, Toyota copper greased the pads, the brakes where silent for a few miles then the squealing came back.

Squeaky brakes are a nightmare to live with. Hard braking doesn’t always resolve the problem either. Getting rid of the car completely and buying a FK2 solved all my brake squeal problems though ...

Changing to a different grade pad and ,if necessary discs,is a lot cheaper than changing the car.
I agree copper grease is not necessarily a permanent solution,but different pads/discs should be IMO.

Changing to a different grade pad and ,if necessary discs,is a lot cheaper than changing the car.
I agree copper grease is not necessarily a permanent solution,but different pads/discs should be IMO.

They changed the pad compound on my 86, still didn’t resolve the issue. Never changed the disk. The 86 itself in my opinion sucked anyway so was glad to see the back of it.

Rattly interiors is just a Japanese thing. If you wanted refinement you should have got a Merc.

The RS started to lose a lot of money. I was only offered 24.5 and it wasnt 12 months old however WBAC offered me 28.5 k...so I sold it to them. Its a great car the RS, however the ride is quite tiring and the MPG is a lot less than the CTR, as I use it as a adaily I have to take these things into account. It was however well built and a far more sturdy car than the CTR IMHO.

Your CTR Ian mate....I get the feeling it was a Friday afternoon car!!! Lads in Swindon itching to get down the Boozer!!!!

For all us out there here is Hondas response regading brake squeal.....funny how no other car suffers from it...With regards to the brakes I have checked with the Honda (UK) Technical department regarding the noise issue you raised. They have said that there will inevitably be a small amount of residual noise from the brakes when braking. This unfortunately is unpreventable and a modification is not possible.

This has been investigated by the Factory and due to the legally permissible amount of certain metals in the disks these days, they have removed all of the 'soft' metals which used to absorb the vibrations and frequency which caused brake squeal, therefore on modern cars there will always be an amount of brake squeal and this is classed as an acceptable characteristic.

This is not an issue that is unique to Honda unfortunately due to ever changing EU laws brake materials are being changed. This in turn has led to increased instances of brake noise which now unfortunately are a characteristic.

As described in some owner's manuals, the squealing noise is caused by high-frequency vibration of the brake pads against the rotating brake disc. Vibration is the unavoidable result of friction generated by the pads as the calliper clamps them against the rotating disc. Under average braking conditions, some brake noise is normal and cannot be eliminated.

Normally, the shims and the high-temperature grease between the pads and the brake calliper dampen and isolate most of the vibration. The level of vibration, however, is affected by outside temperature and humidity, by road conditions (mud, dust, and road salt), and by the condition or thickness of the brake pad material.

That’s a load of *****. More like Honda/Brembo favoured performance over daily drivability but won’t admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a load of *****. More like Honda/Brembo favoured performance over daily drivability but won’t admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn straight and why not, Ring record holder right?

My 330d xDrive did it too. That went back to the dealers after 5 months of ownership as I was worried the pads were on the wear markers. Nope just stopping repeatedly in traffic, they advised doing some heavy braking to clear the deposits on the discs.

So incidentally, exactly the same advice as Honda and what we have been giving.

While I'm at it, I didn't have many vids of the FK2, but this is one. The stop at around 17 seconds, listen to the brakes. It's not something solely found on the FK8.

[video=youtube_share;zkgTR-OXu3I]https://youtu.be/zkgTR-OXu3I[/video]

Back