• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange noise on start up???

Hi was just wondering if anybody could help me out.just bought a 05 plate type r and been great no problems but past 2 week on cold mornings mainly but even on other occasions when you start it up there's a strange noise coming from the engine bay.the only sound I can describe it to is when you start a car and try and turn the key again u get that sharp sound.any ideas at first thought I can only think sticking ignition barrel or sticking starter motor???can anyone else think of any other ideas thanks very much

It's a common issue with k20 engines when they're cold.

Have a search on here for "Starter Motor" and you'll see it comes up quite often and it's nothing to worry about

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it on my FN2, very common and I'm not worrying about it.

Mine started on my weak battery but it's still there on the new one. :lol:

my start button now and again fails 1st time when its cold, but then works next press??? i thought it was me ha ha (FN2 type r)

my start button now and again fails 1st time when its cold, but then works next press??? i thought it was me ha ha (FN2 type r)

Mine did do this every now and again, new battery has cured it.

It didn't do. It only started around October last year.

My guess (and i do mean a guess) is that the FN2/ep3 starter or electrics dont like the cold/minus temps?? im not going to sweat it until my red best mate doest start !

well my guess is that the cold/minus temperature is to blame, and im not going to sweat it until my red best mate doest start!

Cheers for the help I'll get a battery test and see how it shapes up.would a sticking starter motor affect the ring gear or not or am I just panicking over nothing?lol

Lol it's just that I had a bad incident with a transit van (yes I know Hondas are bomb proof and fords are about as reliable as a Old persons bladder ha) but that ring gear was down to the starter motor causing the gear to grind the teeth off it.
Anywa thanks 4 the responses it's put my mind to rest

1 last thing does anybody know roughly price for starter?

The RRP is £310 for the whole assembly
Honda PN: 31200-PRB-A11

You can also get certain parts for it
E__0712.jpg

The item numbers on this drawing relate to this link http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/h...ck_01=17S5T501&block_02=E__0712&block_03=9812

Just remember Lings Honda has its on part number system and don't use the honda part numbers, you need to go here http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/ to get the Honda PN from the Lings PN

Might be worth asking hendy who have a traders section on here, they're normally quite good

Last edited by a moderator:
For £310 a think am not gonna be able to afford to worry about it right now Chris lol.ive got 12 months warranty on it so I've just dropped it back into the dealer today n their going to have a look thanks for advice again

Mine does it now and again, until it starts doing it everyday and everytime i start the car im not going to worry about it

Back