• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Trip to the Nurburgring

Hey I'm thinking about planning a trip to the Nurburgring in my new ep3. Just wondering who has done this before I will be leaving from Scotland so looking to see what the best route is and roughly the cheapest route to get there. Also is it worth hiring a track car for it or should I take my ep3 on it?

Don't hire a track car. Take your EP3.

Travel hull to Rotterdam overnight ferry. Stay over in cologne if you want to break up the driving and stay somewhere semi-interesting. It's around 3-4 hours from Rotterdam to the 'ring. If you like fishing take some fishing gear, it's illegal in Germany but nobody ever said anything to me, helps pass the time in the day when you're waiting for the mid-afternoon public sessions to open. The ring is closed to public in the morning and early afternoon. It's sometimes closed all day too so check your dates before you go. It can be booked out by manufacturers or closed for races/repairs etc etc.

Make sure you're on fresh tyres or close to fresh and fresh pads, oil, brake fluid etc.... Just give it a bloody good service beforehand. Get your euro travel stuff. Enjoy.

Did you insure your car to go around it I know must insurance companies don't cover you while on a track thanks for the info as I have never been. Its always been something I would like to do

I didn't get track insurance, I know a few people who've got quotes and then gone without anyway due to the astronomical cost of insurance. Give it a try, no harm in getting a quote. Note that track insurance usually excludes the 'ring so enquire for 'ring specific insurance or track insurance with no exclusions.

Ah okay I will have a look if its crazy then probably won't bother with it myself. In order to get in the pit lane do you need to pay extra or if you have the track session rather than the public session is the pit lane included in the price.

There's no pit in the public session, just a car park. 1 main tarmac car park and a couple of overflow dirt/gravel car parks. You can only do 1 lap at a time IIRC. You don't get to blast the main straight.

The track sessions are club/multiple bookings only, so unless you're in with a club you can geg in with you won't be able to just book into a morning session. Even then, I don't think they get any pit usage, the GP track is separated from the main loop and the pit is on the GP track.

so in order to get full advantage of the ring where you can blast down the long straight you need to book the track session. Im looking to get the full 13 mile track for an experience and guess you just done a full service before you left for your trip?

As I understand it, yes. Without spending mega money forget about the track session, the main straight isn't what you're going for anyway... There's plenty of autobahn on the way for that! You'll struggle to get more than say 5 or 6 laps in for a public session per day. I've been three times, did 1 lap the first time, 5 (over 2 days) the second and 2 the last time. We were taking turns doing pax laps and taking photos for each other though. Could have easily got at least another lap each time had I really wanted to.

I just did all the fluids, pads and some new front boots.

Ah okay thanks for the input was looking at the boat from hull to Rotterdam and its not that cheap round about October think the channel tunnel would be cheaper.

Been 4 times in my EP3. I've never had any issues with my car out there.
If there's any doubt about any component on the car, replace it.
Buy the best tyres and brakes that you can afford. If you get in trouble and lose control, these will give you the best chance of saving it.
Get a good suspension set up. Minimum if on standard a decent geometry set up.
Don't try be a hero. PlayStation games don't help.
Friend of mine a few years back hired a Clio from RSR. It was ropey and the excess for writing the car off was around £7k... that's before paying addition charges to track damages. Which brings me onto my last 2 points.
Don't crash.
Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do use recommend to stay?

I've stayed in Nürburg twice. Obviously it's nice and close to the track entrance but there's not much going on around there.
I've since then always stayed in Adenau. Plenty of places to go out and eat and only 5-10 mins from track entrance. Although you can get on and off the Nordschleife at the half way point in Adenau but it costs you a full lap. It's also where the famous Bongard car 'grave yard' is where all the crashed/broken down cars end up from the track.

Ah okay thanks for the input was looking at the boat from hull to Rotterdam and its not that cheap round about October think the channel tunnel would be cheaper.

Don't forget to factor in the petrol to get from hull to dover and back & the time and pain of driving the length of Britain. The ferry is a laugh, the m6 is not.

Also a standard car probably won't be able to do more than one lap without letting it cool down, so as already mentioned, forget about the 'track' days there. I'd also suggest going over with some friends and if possible, people who have been before.

Yeah I plan to do a full FRSU before I go so my car handles well and don't plan on getting any fast times just wanna experience going round the track. For when you guys have traveled over there did you have to change your car in anyway or is it fine to keep your car the same way was told you need different insurance as you aren't covered driving in other countries and someone said lights need to be changed and you need a triangle incase you brake down.

Previously i've stayed at Hotel Burgstube in Nurburg village. It's run by an expat Brit. From experience, I'd also recommend a Stoptech big brake kit. It made a huge difference on my second trip.

You can buy euro travel packs with everything you need including stick on beam converters (no need to physically change lights).

If travelling through the tunnel and France you will need 2 in-date breathalyser kits.

The key is brakes brakes brakes. It really punishes them. 6 laps in my Audi destroyed a set of pads which were only a quarter worn. I was shocked!

Keep yourself well rested and hydrated too, driving the Ring is as tiring as it is exhilerating.

You can buy euro travel packs with everything you need including stick on beam converters (no need to physically change lights).

If travelling through the tunnel and France you will need 2 in-date breathalyser kits.

No anymore. The law has changed apparently.

I popped by there on Saturday whilst over at Spa for the F1. I love the place

7f8d05d6d59a91bb433a1399143511c3.jpg
1cb95dbef10974b8b0f384d332db5499.jpg

Back