• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Mastodon2

am i legal?

To most MOT testers, they would interpret your car with an unsilenced centre section and a Spoon N1 as to not meet the requirements of the test, rendering it "non-roadworthy". Whether the MOT tester would actually fail your car for this depends on the tester. You could leave it down to chance...
  2. Mastodon2

What make is this backbox...?

Looks like a custom job.
  3. Mastodon2

How loud is an unsilenced midpipe?

Unsilenced B pipe and OEM backbox is not very loud in the grand scheme of things. Lovely rorty tone though, but you will have to have your window down to really enjoy the sound, though I suppose you could say that for any exhaust - I have a straight through, fully unsilenced catback and I drive...
  4. Mastodon2

Quick Question... Can a standard EP3 pop flames?

My EP3 with a straight through catback makes some pretty loud pops and bangs (including some muffled pops that sound like distant fireworks at every gearchange above 4500rpm) but no flames as far as I know.
  5. Mastodon2

Rear exhaust change back box

That custom twin exit looks propery smart!
  6. Mastodon2

Exhaust Sound

Unsilenced B pipe sounds good, a bit louder than your average car on the road at normal speeds, a nice rasp and a good motorbike-y tone on full throttle, VTEC sounds nice. Unsilenced B pipe and an unsilenced backbox is better though, you could probably get an unsilenced backbox and a Spoon N1...
  7. Mastodon2

Custom vs purpose built exhausts

Depends where you live, no point everyone plugging their local place, you need to tell us where you live (and it's not in your profile either) so someone can recommend somewhere near, if anyone has used one near you that is. I could tell you where to go and where not to go in Newcastle, but...
  8. Mastodon2

Custom vs purpose built exhausts

Purpose built, off the shelf: + reviews, you can research and find out what you are getting for your money + Tried and tested fit, quality and sound (or lack of!) + Hold their value when sold second hand + Some level of modularity, matching b pipes with various backboxes etc - Generally...
  9. Mastodon2

Advice on which exhaust

So which exhaust are you after then? Not sure who I'm giving my opinion to here! ;)
  10. Mastodon2

Advice on which exhaust

I'd definitely be going for the Skunk 2 or the Buddy Club, spend the extra and get some real quality. The Skunk 2 imo sounds excellent - it's pretty close to an unsilenced system, very similar to my custom system. They are fairly loud though! The Buddy Club Pro Spec is a sensible exhaust by BC...
  11. Mastodon2

Dark Ice Design Exhaust Silencer

It looks like it would work, not as well as a christmas-tree shaped baffle like the spoon one, you'd want it well screwed into to make sure it didn't fall out (but not so tight that is warps the exhaust where the screws meet the exhaust) and I don't think you'd get a "129db to 68db" drop like...
  12. Mastodon2

5zigen miracle fire ball

Looks like Touge EU have them http://eu.tougedistribution.com/item--5zigen-Miracle-Fireball-Muffler--H06-24R/ They are a pretty rare item, they do look and sound good but imo not £500 quids-worth "better" than any of the cheaper systems. I suppose you are paying a bit for the brand / rarity...
  13. Mastodon2

Exhaust guide

Tbh there aren't many "bad" sounding setups for the EP3, more a case of what your tastes are - some setups are definitely raspier and more aggressive, and how much volume you want. Personally I run a very raspy setup (unsilenced B pipe, unsure of make and a custom straight pipe "backbox", as...
  14. Mastodon2

Angled exhaust

Not sure what that is, looks like it could be custom but I've also seen a lot of Skylines and Supras with similarly huge exhausts. The backbox on that is massive, I'd imagine as far as "cannon" exhausts go it's probably quite quiet. It's a good look I think, but unless it was just an empty metal...
  15. Mastodon2

Angled exhaust

£200, about the going rate for a hand built backbox round these parts - the unsilenced B pipe was already on the car.
  16. Mastodon2

Angled exhaust

I've got one on my Civic, quite a wide angle on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkSe4vzLTLQ It's about 45 degrees offset. Custom made by Advanced Automotive Systems of Newburn in Newcastle, unsilenced B pipe with a straight through backbox and a cosmetic "sleeve" backbox can. It's...
  17. Mastodon2

Exhaust guide

There is a lot more to it than the tip on the exhaust, the centre pipe affects the tone a lot, along with the size and shape of the backbox, the amount of baffling (or lack of it) etc. What B pipe have you got? How loud do you want it to be in the end?
  18. Mastodon2

B pipe rattle driving me nuts!

Excellent Loxy, thanks very much, I will have to get the car up on a ramp and see if I can locate the problem. I'd put money on it being one of those two hangers on the B pipe. And yes, the car is pretty loud, but that just shows you how loud the rattle is when you can hear it over the din of...
  19. Mastodon2

I don't think the baffles could have gone, with an unsilenced B pipe and a straight through, unsilenced backbox (which is only a few weeks old) there should not be any baffles in there! It does seem to be vibrating against the bottom of the body, when I looked under the car yesterday I could...
  20. Mastodon2

Hello all, I've got an unsilenced B pipe on my EP3, not sure of the brand as it was on the car when I bought it, never had any problems with it until now. A little over a week ago it started rattling out of the blue while I was sitting in traffic. I didn't know what the problem was at first and...
  21. Mastodon2

Good budget exhaust set up?

I'm often around Stocksfield / Mickley way so not far from Hexham at all. Service at AAS was a mixed bag; the workmanship is great and they have an excellent reputation, particularly with full systems for V8 muscle cars. As such, they have a long waiting list, went in once and got quoted 3...
  22. Mastodon2

Meet the Girthatronic....

Not sure it will work but I applaud the experimentation and the sense of adventure. Are those your wheels in your avatar?
  23. Mastodon2

Good budget exhaust set up?

A true unsilenced B pipe and a Spoon N1 will be loud, as you have no real silencer after the cat. Buddy Club do a few different items. Spec II - straight pipe all the way to the back (no rear "silencer" - even if the silencer is just a box for tone / volume shaping). Probably the loudest off...
  24. Mastodon2

Anybody know where...

I have a custom exhaust on my EP3 that is a replica of a Spec III, without the centre silencer, just a straight pipe - it has that insane rasp of a Spec II and is ridiculously loud, considerably louder than a Nur Spec R'd Impreza which was my nearest comparison point for sheer volume, as none of...
  25. Mastodon2

New car, R32 Golf, V6 ftw. Launch control vid PG13.

Looks a nice clean car. I'm not a big fan of the MKV R32 but I do quite like the MKIV 3 door. Done VAG though and I don't think I'd ever go back, but I can see why someone needing a sensible family car would be tempted by the MKV 5 door.
  26. Mastodon2

ste's phoenix yellow ek9

Lovely car, but I have to say I preferred it with the Carbon bonnet and Fujitsubo, love that looks on these old EK9s. Would love some carbon bits for my EP3. How is the sound different with the HKS vs the Fuji? What is the difference in tone like? Which is louder?
  27. Mastodon2

Custom exhaust - something to think about...

Well, the wait is finally over and after what feels like forever, the exhaust is fitted! I asked for this piece to have the box angled, and to retain the essential characteristics of the Buddy Club Spec III design - 4" slash cut tip and a very small backbox for big, pure sound. It was done by a...
  28. Mastodon2

** NEW OEM STYLE BACKBOX ** WITH VIDEO!

I imagine it's not too loud with a silenced B pipe and a fairly decent sized backbox, much louder than OEM?
  29. Mastodon2

R8byb

Really? I don't think I'd owned my Civic more than a couple of days before I heard of these pipes!
  30. Mastodon2

That sounds great - I'll be keeping my cat in though, which will limit the noise and act as the main silencer. That said, I know Spoon and BC Spec 3s with no centre silencer run about 105db on the standard manifold and cat in place, so I'm fully prepared for "seriously loud". I am leaning...
  31. Mastodon2

Hey guys, I took the trip to a local manifold and exhaust place after a recommendation by fellow user AD4M CH, to book a custom back box for my EP3. I've come away with more questions than answers. I have a slot booked in on the 24 of April, which was the first one I could get, and only because...
  32. Mastodon2

Japspeed 4-1 Manifold, Japspeed Decat & Scorpion Cat Back - What To Do Next?

I thought running a sports manifold and decat without remapping the car was a cardinal sin?
  33. Mastodon2

David McMaster's Civic

Lowering has made the wheels look too small but the design of them makes the brakes look tiny, or that might just be because they are EP2 brakes. I don't like the tow flap thing at the front, and what is it about some young lads loading their cars with crap on the inside? Why do you need fuzzy...
  34. Mastodon2

Friend looking to buy a DC2, intermittent EML...

A lovely car indeed, but a long way to travel and no way to get rid of the MR2 in the process. Sadly, it looks as though a Type R is off the menu!
  35. Mastodon2

My friend heard back from the dealer, so I have copied this from a thread on another forum "The dealer rang me today and left me a voicemail message saying that he'd taken it to the garage and I should "not worry" as it was "just the cat". He then goes on to say it wasn't the O2 sensor like he...
  36. Mastodon2

As I said, the sale of his current MR2 turbo is imminent, a bloke is coming to see it soon and planning to turn it into a track car and with the money from that he will be going for the private DC2. In the event of the sale falling through he would consider PXing the MR2 though, hence why he was...
  37. Mastodon2

Hello all, A friend of mine is looking to buy a DC2 and has one lined up at a dealers to go and look at. It looks from the photos and the advert to be a nice car, looks fairly well looked after and is fairly standard other than an exhaust upgrade. However, he contacted the dealer to get some...
  38. Mastodon2

Possibly the loudest EP3 Set - up?

I don't know if you've ever been in a seriously loud car, when you accelerate with some vigour and the whole car starts to vibrate, you can feel it buzzing the air in your bronchial tubes it's that powerful. Certainly not something you'd want in an everyday car, you'd go deaf, but in a weekend...
  39. Mastodon2

Three Inch Exhaust - Can it work on N/A??

I thought the risk was that using a 70mm bore exhaust with a NA engine would cause a drop in torque due to a decrease in backpower?
  40. Mastodon2

Skunk Megapower RR 76mm

Looked at one myself, but from what I could gather from their website they were aiming it at forced induction cars with much higher gas flows than a NA car. I'm sure someone with more experience than me would be able to shed some light on it, but I would have thought that the wide pipework would...
  41. Mastodon2

The Blitz Nur Spec - the most unloved CTR exhaust?

Jesus christ, that sounds absolutely fantastic. I suppose you have a Hondata ECU and full remap for the manifold? I suppose a J's Racing exhaust would be nice, I will have to price one up. Unfortunately, this year is going to be a bit of a bugger as I've just bought my first house and I'm...
  42. Mastodon2

As I mentioned in our conversation Advanced Automotive Systems are ace, I definitely would not rule them out.
  43. Mastodon2

Oh yeah, I see the Spoon replica. I've seen their "Jap style" cannon exhaust too. I would hold out for the real deal, I don't mind spending a bit of money on the old girl!
  44. Mastodon2

I am, just looking for a site that might have some prices on at the moment. I'm not upgrading tomorrow, just trying to get an idea of the parts I wanted. Be assured that whatever I fit, there will be gratuitous pics and videos to demo it out!
  45. Mastodon2

I had heard good things about the Legalis R, and Fujitsubo are a very well respected brand as far as I can see, nice OEM-ish look too. A guy I work with had a Spoon N1 and unsilenced B pipe on his Type R that he had a few years back, he said it stopped him from hearing the radio so he sold it...
  46. Mastodon2

Rasp is what I'm looking for, I think it suits the naturally high pitched tone of the Type R better. I think this sounds absolutely brilliant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6EP3jjcmI I think adding the Spoon onto the unsilenced B pipe at the minute should give me that touring car style...
  47. Mastodon2

Thanks for that, I think you've just saved me £700. The following words killed it - "not loud at all" and "very quiet". What a disappointment. Spoon N1 box it is then... :D
  48. Mastodon2

Sorry, misread the bore in the old thread, 60mm it is. I am concerned about that centre silencer section, it looks like it's been designed to cut down a whole lot of noise, it's positively huge compared to the centre silencers on other brand's exhausts, seemingly counter-objective to what Blitz...
  49. Mastodon2

Yeah, I don't think this vid is a good representation of the Nur Spec, you really need to hear a car moving under load to get a real idea of what the exhaust sounds like. As for VTEC when stationary, I'm pretty sure you can't rev a static EP3 past 4400rpm or something, unless you have modified...
  50. Mastodon2

Wow good find, unfortunately that sounds like utter **** :lol: He only has the backbox on though, with a supersprint b pipe. Leaning further and further towards and N1 now, tried and tested!
  51. Mastodon2

custom buddy club exhaust advice please

I think the problem here is that the backbox will still not fit the B pipe no matter what attachment it comes with, because the back axle blocks a straight connection, hence the need to have a bend in the pipe, like this Spoon N1 box I think no matter what set up you choose, unless you buy...
  52. Mastodon2

So you think it would be detrimental to the drive? I think it might have been you in the original thread stating it was a massive size I was thinking I would just throw the N1 backbox onto the existing B pipe on my car, can't stomach the Spoon B pipe price, iirc it's £700 for the pipe alone...
  53. Mastodon2

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new exhaust for my Civic this year - just passed it's MOT this morning (:D) so next on the list are some noise mods to enjoy. I'm still undecided on the intake front, but I had my heart set on a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust. I've always loved the sound they get on...
  54. Mastodon2

Scorpion Non Resonated Cat Back

Interesting, I wonder what their justification was for that. Perhaps they were worried that people would screw their cars up with dodgy maps, but that decision should really be left in the customers hands - all the other manufacturers certainly seem to think so.
  55. Mastodon2

Scorpion Non Resonated Cat Back

I'd be interested to know why you can't modify the standard ECU either, I've not heard of any other manufacturer that has non-mappable ECUs!
  56. Mastodon2

Broken DC Sports

He is not building it to satisfy himself though, he is building it for you. Sack him, find a fabricator with a bit of imagination and willingness to do what the customer asks for!
  57. Mastodon2

Broken DC Sports

I'd find a new exhaust place too, as they don't sound "custom" at all. My exhaust place will make pretty much anything that is physically possible if you are willing to pay for it - that's what "custom" means.
  58. Mastodon2

The Many Faces of my USDM EP3

Is that a Pedo Bear on the engine cover?
  59. Mastodon2

custom buddy club exhaust advice please

Would adding a straight through backbox onto an unsilenced B pipe not be incredibly loud and boomy? Because if it can be done, I might just get a Nur Spec R box and bolt that onto my car, which already has what appears to be a R8BYB B pipe. Also, that Buddyclub universal box, will the pipework...
  60. Mastodon2

Thinking of buying a CTR

Short gearing means it will never be an economical car. If you are in need of a commuting hack and cannot afford to put your foot down, you will feel guilty for booting it and end up resenting owning a performance car you can't get any joy out of. If you can budget for fuel (I drive reasonably...
  61. Mastodon2

Possibly the loudest EP3 Set - up?

I know it's not an EP3, but this Integra must have been hilariously loud - before the local NIMBYs ruined it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9XVhfMpSjc&feature=related Sounds absolutely heavenly.
  62. Mastodon2

Exhaust manifolds that have a catalytic converter

What in the pain in the arse. I didn't think you would need a remap even if you used a catalysed one. What would happen if you put on a decat manifold and did not remap, would you just not be able to take advantage of the benefit of the decat or would it be negative to the cars health / make the...
  63. Mastodon2

Exhaust manifolds that have a catalytic converter

Hey guys, just found out this morning that I have a blowing exhaust between the manifold downpipe and the catalytic converter on my EP3. This is because one of the bolts that holds the two together has rusted and sheared off, causing the cat to drop a little and a gap to open that the exhaust...
  64. Mastodon2

Rattle / whirring noise under acceleration

Had the oil changed this morning, still making that awful noise. When the car was up on the lift I had a look under it, there is no heatshield on the drive hsaft, it's already gone. I took it out for a spin after the oil change, and the VTEC seems to be there but its very weak and seems to...
  65. Mastodon2

Ok, didn't manage to get the heatshield off today, but I think I have ruled that out to a degree. At speeds above about 25mph in 3rd gear, the whirring noise, as I could best describe it, sounds a bit like oil squirting under pressure. I thought this the other day so I looked for oil spots on my...
  66. Mastodon2

I am a car hypochondriac, as soon as I hear a rattle or bump I brace for the worst! ;) Going round to my dad's today to use his jack hopefully, so I will get a decent bit of empty road on the way home from work tonight to test the car out fully, sans heatshield. Thanks for all the help so far...
  67. Mastodon2

Yeah, no crunching, no noticeable slip from the clutch, no hesitancy to go into any gear etc, but I have terrible luck with these sort of things!
  68. Mastodon2

It's still fairly distant, it's not taking over the whole cabin, but I can hear it under the induction and engine note. The driveshaft heatshield is coming off today or tomorrow, when I can get my hands on a jack. Fingers crossed that will sort it, but I'm assuming the worst. :mad:
  69. Mastodon2

I have driven the car a bit more today, taking it very easy, driving quickly as per usual but being as delicate with the throttle inputs and gear changes as possible. The noise only seems to manifest when the car is accelerating in gear, with the throttle pressed open. If the car is coasting in...
  70. Mastodon2

Now that looks like something that might be worth looking into! I had a bit of an episode at a petrol station earlier when I was filling up, saw some fresh oil on the concrete in a couple of spots up to my car, started freaking out thinking the car was leaking oil which could be disasterous. I...
  71. Mastodon2

VTEC light. How to remove the stupid thing? Fag lighter type

I would have that out straight away, it looks totally naff ;)
  72. Mastodon2

I will definitely be giving that a go tomorrow morning then. I'm about to move house and the last thing I need is a massive clutch / gearbox repair bill!
  73. Mastodon2

Hey guys, I've got a 2005 EP3 Civic Type R. A few times in the past few weeks it has made a bit of a whirring, mild scraping noise under wider throttle openings in second in third gear (typically between 3000-3500 that goes away once the engine is starting to get into the power band). Once the...
  74. Mastodon2

EP3 exhaust sounding pretty fruity!

Bugger. I like it loud but I will have to consider my next option from here. I could get a full catback system from the likes of Buddyclub, Apexi etc, or I might get a custom made straight through, which is not that expensive at around £180 locally, and see how that is. I'm more concerned about...
  75. Mastodon2

Well, had a look under the car today (could not get under as there was not enough room - I suppose I'm not alone there? Remember when you didn't need a jack or a lift to get underneath a car?), from what I could see, it looks like an unsilenced B pipe, straight from what looks like the cat all...
  76. Mastodon2

Yeah, I was recommended to get an unsilenced B pipe, and I had started to suspect the car may have one fitted! Unfortunately it has been soaking wet here for days, so I have not been under my car yet! I would not be all that surprised if there is a de-cat in place too!
  77. Mastodon2

Next-gen Civic Type R – Auto Express mag request

I agree with the sentiment of giving Type R a rest for a generation or even two. Honda have never cared too much about the UK market (despite the EP3 in particular being a massive sales success in terms of hot hatches) so if the Euro V regulations stop Type in Europe for now then so be it. I'd...
  78. Mastodon2

Hey guys, I've got a 2005 EP3, with the standard exhaust on it, for now at least. All is well, bar one strange thing that perplexes me; when the exhaust is cold, for the first minute or so of driving, it has an incredible, raspy tone, that becomes most present between 2500-3500rpm, tailing off...
  79. Mastodon2

My first Type R (EP3)

I suppose the EP3 has 2.25" a b-pipe?
  80. Mastodon2

My first Type R (EP3)

Bummer. If I just wanted to buy a backbox, say a Skunk2 Megapower box, which according to their website comes in one of two inlet sizes (2.25" or 3") would a decent exhaust palce be able to fit it on to the existing pipework? What size of those two would be better (or correct) for the EP3? I'm...
  81. Mastodon2

My first Type R (EP3)

Come to think of it, how different is the pipework for the DC5 to the EP3? Thing is, I have a friend of a friend selling an Apexi N1 that he has removed from his Integra DC5, for a good price. The pipework is a tatty and oxidised but you don't see that, and the box will polish up well. How much...
  82. Mastodon2

My first Type R (EP3)

Are they like unbelievably loud? I've always loved the Buddy Club exhausts, I think they make some great products, and I would love a BC Pro Spec for my car. I might leave the mods until after winter; I have this image of myself turning the car on, 6am on an icey morning to warm it up while I...
  83. Mastodon2

Turbo or charger ?

I've just come from a power FWD turbo car (Seat Leon Cupra R 225, modded to about 265bhp) and it's just not the right kind of power delivery for a Type R imo. The thing I love the most about a Type R is having to take it by the scruff of the neck and really work it to get it moving at it's best...
  84. Mastodon2

My first Type R (EP3)

I want a proper exhaust system on it. I love the sporty rasp the standard one has (especially early into journies, before it heats up properly and becomes smoother and bassier), something like a Spoon B-pipe and Spoon N1 would be great. That said, I'll be keeping an eye on the classifieds and...
  85. Mastodon2

My first Type R (EP3)

Hey guys, I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself and show you my car. My names Dave, I'm a new-found Type R convert, here are some pics of my new pride and joy, a 2005 EP3 Type R. Standard and unmodified apart from the exhaust, which to my eyes looks standard (and a bit road...
Back