• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. D

Timing chain for EP3

Had mine done last week - 4.5 hours labour. A local mechanic did it for £50 an hour vs Honda's £100 an hour.
  2. D

Stalling when coming to a stop

Well, the 'new rattle' was the starter motor, which I did suggest was probably the answer. I like being right. Anyway, the car now seems to be fixed. I've done 120 miles over the last two days and it's been faultless. No engine lights, no stalling.
  3. D

The chain and tensioner have been replaced and the mechanic has been using it to go to and from work to make sure it's fixed... The stalling is apparently fixed (although I'll be the judge of that), but apparently this morning there was a slight rattle from the engine area when the car is...
  4. D

I've told them to just replace the timing chain and guides. The dealer will pay for it. Been doing some research and the timing chain can cause the P0172 error due to fuel not being ignited properly. Sound plausable? If that doesn't fix it I'm just going to reject the car.
  5. D

It was too good to be true again; exactly the same problem now after the same journey. It was fine on the first 3 junctions I had to stop at, then the EML came on with code P0172 (System too rich [Bank 1]). Also, I'm not sure if it's paranoia, but I think I can hear the odd rattle when...
  6. D

OK, this is weird. My mate just dropped it off and said the car didn't stall once on the way back from his garage (even though it stalled every time immediately after fitting the cat, which is when he rang with the bad news and I made the last post). So I took it for a razz and the power...
  7. D

Could it be one of those sensors then?
  8. D

Well, the car's now got a new catalytic converter and it's still suffering from exactly the same problem. Apparently it's had two new sensors on it as well, my mate who fitted the cat for me has suggested it may be the MAF sensor. Does that sound like a possibility? So far the following has...
  9. D

Starter motor on the blink?

Did exactly the same in mine this morning, was worried it might be the chain until I found a video on this site where someone had recorded the noise. So, just the starter motor; not the most desirable 'feature' as Loxy put it, but it's nothing to worry about.
  10. D

The problem was fixed for all of 20 miles and 1 stop. After being thoroughly cleaned, it was great, if a bit hesistant. After stopping at the shops and heading off again the stalling problem returns whenever the clutch is depressed. I haven't had the weather to check the chain myself, but the...
  11. D

P0420 - Definitely a new cat?

Hah, I think I'll pay for £70 from the breakers! How can they justify over £2,000? In other news, the stalling issue has come back. Could that be explained by the cat/exhaust being damaged? Cleaning it all out only fixed it for 50 miles.
  12. D

P0420 - Definitely a new cat?

Hi guys, I resolved my previous problem where the car was stalling when the clutch was depressed; turns out the Fuel System, TB and IACV, etc just needed a good clean. £150 labour later (which I could of done myself if I wasn't so worried about it being the timing chain...) the car now drives...
  13. D

Yeah, we'll see what's going on. To be honest, if it works when I pick it up then I'll be happy. I'll get the cam cover off this afternoon (weather depending) and check it myself.
  14. D

Just an update; the local garage said there's no chain issues and instead they just cleaned out the fuel system and the throttle body. I'm collecting it in the morning, but the guy says it's underpowered and believes it could be a blocked catalytic converter? I still don't see why Honda would...
  15. D

steering pulling all over the place :(

Had this happen to me on other cars in the past. First time it was sticking brake calipers, which got worse after breaking. Second time it was a split wish bone.
  16. D

need some help!

Worst case scenario - Honda will charge about £700-800 (I've had a quote yesterday). £300 for the timing chain, tensioner assembly, compliance arm & guide, plus 4.5 hours labour.
  17. D

Turns out the RAC warranty doesn't cover the timing chain unless it's actually broken. Being stretched/jumping and having the potential to destroy the top of the engine apparently isn't a warranty issue. The dealer I bought it from is hunting around for prices, so I'm guessing they're looking at...
  18. D

Probably not the best idea with a knackered timing chain :).
  19. D

Thanks! Any idea who's the nearest decent independent to Lincoln? There's quite a few traders there.
  20. D

Honda quoted about £800 for a new timing chain, which is £500 over my warranty claim limit. Getting the independent dealer I got it from to find out what to do; looks like it could be a case of rejecting it :(. It was the Honda master technician that says it's definitely the timing chain.
  21. D

These are the faults: Timing Chain Jumped Rocker Cover Gasket Leaking Auxillary Belt Noisy (And?) Hazard Warning Lights don't work (Just a fuse as I nicked out the 10 amp). I'm guessing the first two are the problems worth fixing (the first issue being what's causing my stalling problem)?
  22. D

I decided to just get it into Honda and they came back with a list of faults as long as my arm. Told them to ring my warranty provider and find out what's covered, then I'll get a proper list of the problems.
  23. D

Couldn't do the paper clip trick. The scart socket I found doesn't seem to have the metal studs like the one in the guide :s. I.e the paper clip just slides in without any purchase. EDIT: I've been doing some googling; could it just be the IAC Valve needs cleaning? The car didn't have the...
  24. D

I've just taken my EP3 out for a spin. When I came to stop, the car dropped to 0 revs and stalled. I put this down to me not being used to the clutch yet, however I pulled back into my driveway with the clutch down and it did the same - my clutch was fully to the floor. I took the car out...
  25. D

Type S Grill and the Type R Honda Emblem?

Thank you, good to know :D
  26. D

Type S Grill and the Type R Honda Emblem?

The 2005 Type R (EP3) I bought has had a replacement grill. Unfortunately as far as I can work out, it's a Type S grill (fits perfectly, but has a silver H emblem). Am I able to pop out the silver H and replace it with a genuine Red 'H' replacement emblem? Sorry if it seems like a silly...
  27. D

How much is it worth?

Just bought my 2005 EP3 (54 plate) this weekend. It's totally standard, FSH all Honda but one, 84k miles. It's in good condition all bar a scratch on the rear bumper and a chip near the front left light cluster. The mats need replacing and the grill has been replaced with a Type S one due to a...
Back