• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Beillynoy

FK8 Someone will get a bargain this week...

Good advice. But we all know that owning the latest Type R helps develop a tough skin / selective deafness so it won’t be a problem. In any event, by the time they’ve got as far as “it looks like a ten”, I’ll already be doing 60mph and laughing at the poor Dino-juice driver comparing my car to...
  2. Beillynoy

Haha. It is indeed a Tesla Model 3. Full fat, none of that eco-warrior nonsense. (Is it possible to be dead to you twice in one day?) :-)
  3. Beillynoy

Yep. I fall into the CBA group - provided it’s a sensible enough price. Price was similar to Honda garage and, I’m pleased to say, I got more than you were offered despite age difference on the cars - sheesh your WBAC quote was scary! Anyway, I wish the new owner of chassis 12513 all the best...
  4. Beillynoy

I sold my car to WBAC at the weekend. It was a decent price, but no extra value was given for the fact it has a 5yr warranty and 5yr service plan, nor was any extra value given for the £2500 of PPF and ceramic protection installed from new. This isn't a complaint about WBAC - the price was...
  5. Beillynoy

FK8 Winter tyres

I agree 100% with @MattFK8. The above mail should be required reading on any discussion re winter tyres.
  6. Beillynoy

FK8 Winter tyres

No probs. I have 19" FK2 wheels, fitted with the 19" version of the conti winter tyres you referred to above. The FK2 wheels fit an FK8, providing adequate clearance for the FK8s brakes. In fact, I seem to recall these exact wheels were listed in the original FK8 accessories brochure for...
  7. Beillynoy

FK8 2019 FK8 Infotainment System

FWIW, I'm using the new Android Auto (beta?) It's miles better than previous version and, although this might be my imagination, I'm convinced the screen appears to be more responsive when using it. I suggest you give it a try. N.
  8. Beillynoy

FK8 Winter tyres

Hello again. That's the winters I'm using on my FK8, but on 19" FK2 wheels. They're good tyres. Each to their own re wheel size, but ever since I discovered it was the same price for wheels & tyres by coming down a size (on my Saab Turbo X many years ago) versus trying to find just winter...
  9. Beillynoy

FK8 FK8 as a Daily (High Mileage) Driver??

Now that's not something you hear from the fairer sex very often!
  10. Beillynoy

FK8 Buzz / Rattle at 2000RPM?

I guess no-one has traced the source / found a solution yet?
  11. Beillynoy

I'll have a careful listen around the speaker next time I'm out. Thanks.
  12. Beillynoy

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on.
  13. Beillynoy

Have noticed a strange buzzy noise at 2000RPM. No noise under 2k, and it stops just beyond 2k. It sounds like a high frequency rattle and is unbelievably difficult to locate. It is "definitely" driver side but sometimes sounds like it's coming from B pillar beside seatbelt and other times the...
  14. Beillynoy

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

Of course, as noted by adymi16, a better option would be to go to a trustworthy dealer but, depending on where you're based, I recognise that might not be an option.
  15. Beillynoy

FWIW... I believe you have every right to retain any parts (incl tyres) removed from your car during a service. If you let the garage know that you intend to do this you're less likely to encounter shenanigans like the tyre chord noted above.
  16. Beillynoy

Haha. That was my thinking as well, but my wife makes a very valid point... If I get rid of the GT-R I'll regret it. It was bought as a keeper and is one of only 2 of this spec and colour in the UK. The other was bought by Litchfield to use as the genesis for the Litchfield Track Edition model...
  17. Beillynoy

In my defence, if the Civic goes its only because I've decided to keep my GT-R Track Edition instead. So I've not gone over to the dark side completely ;-) In many ways it's a massive compliment to the type R that it is competing with a GT-R for my affections. Before the FK8 this would have...
  18. Beillynoy

I'll need to get rid of one of our cars when the Tesla arrives. In my defence, it's the Model 3 Performance, so not exactly a milk float. N.
  19. Beillynoy

When I was buying the car I also bought a full set of FK2 alloys onto which I put a set of Conti winter tyres. The FK2 wheels are slightly smaller than the FK8s, so winter rubber is a more sensible price. Otherwise they're identical - they even have the red stripe. I find oponeo.co.uk to be good...
  20. Beillynoy

I've been using my 18 plate FK8 as a daily for 18 months. Perfectly doable. Comfort setting is excellent for A-roads. I did a 600 mile round trip in May which was no bother. It's the only time I've used the lane keep assist and it worked great. Unsettling but impressive when it navigated long...
  21. Beillynoy

FK8 Tyre Deflation System

I lost confidence in the in-built TPMS when mine failed to trigger an alarm of any sort after a pothole impact completely deflated my front tyre. Luckily only the tyre was ruined, but as a result I bought and fitted one of these: https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/solar-colour/ £99 well spent. I...
  22. Beillynoy

What did you do to your Type R today?

No. Just no.
  23. Beillynoy

Additional pics now added to the previous Google photos folder https://photos.app.goo.gl/eHspWPikxVHZwTdn6 (Please excuse how manky the wheels are - it's been driving weather, not car washing weather recently)
  24. Beillynoy

They are a bit smaller than the size of a 20p piece in diameter. And they have a protective rubber sleeve which means they taper quite neatly from valve to sensor. They don’t look obvious or out of place unless you know to look for them. I’ll take a pic next time I’m out at the car. N.
  25. Beillynoy

Fitted a proper TPMS system. One that might even give me a hint that a pothole on the M8 has destroyed my tyre, rather than leaving me stranded on the hard shoulder of the M80 at midnight..... If anyone is interested it is a TyrePal. Ordered online from their website for around 100GBP. See...
  26. Beillynoy

Fitted this... (Imported from the USA for around £60. Plus a few quid for a set of washers to effectively shorten the gearstick thread so that the numbers line up properly) https://photos.app.goo.gl/XPKaUZcuuD5WneY42
  27. Beillynoy

FK8 Apple Carplay Issues iPhone X

CarPlay now has a mind of its own for me too. Sometimes it will connect. Other times not at all. When it connects it will often just stop playing after a few seconds. Occasionally it’ll start again if it’s own accord. Other times it hangs, locking out all buttons even those beside the screen...
  28. Beillynoy

FK8 MyHonda dongle thing?

Booked in for Saturday. Thanks all.
  29. Beillynoy

Are you sure? I thought it was around £250, but free if you bought the 5yr service / warranty?
  30. Beillynoy

Does anyone have one of these fitted to an FK8? I took delivery of my car on 1st March, with the 5yr service / warranty + dongle package, but the dongles were out of stock at the time (incompatible with the FK8 so being replaced) therefore not fitted. Has anyone received / fitted one of...
  31. Beillynoy

FK8 What did you learn about your FK8 today?

Let’s not be judgemental by labelling them all as inconsiderate drivers. That would suggest they appreciate the impact their behaviour has on others, but choose to do it anyway without consideration for others. In my humble opinion, the target population for Ron’s observations above will...
  32. Beillynoy

I would put money on most of the brake light blinders driving automatics: a very different proposition when it comes to traffic queues compared to a manual car. (Not excusing it - just offering an answer to why someone might appear inconsiderate.) N.
  33. Beillynoy

Handbrake and Brake Hold are not mutually exclusive. If stopping for a couple of seconds (eg hill holding at a junction) then allow brake hold to do its thing. But if you’re going to be stopped for a while (eg traffic lights) then pull the wee handbrake switch. Super simple. And considerate to...
  34. Beillynoy

Probably just an issue with my handset. It has been a bit temperamental since day one.
  35. Beillynoy

If anyone is interested in a follow up to this... It turns out my connection problem was nothing to do with the cable. The car just doesn’t like me switching directly from my phone being used as a Bluetooth audio source, to my phone being used for Apple CarPlay (using USB / Lightning cable.)...
  36. Beillynoy

See my earlier post (page 5) re alloy insurance. Seems a no-brainer for exactly that reason! And not just because I live in the land of hard-as-nails tarmac. ;-) Neil
  37. Beillynoy

Re kerbing.... Gap insurance.co.uk do an amazingly cheap policy to cover alloy kerbing. Something like £160 for 3 years, covering up to 3 kerbings per year (yes, nine moments of numbskullery over 3 years). No doubt there will be all sorts of caveats / exemptions but it seemed such a bargain I...
  38. Beillynoy

Oh, I don’t know about that... I’ll be doing 12,000miles pa in my car, so any humour injected into this thread is helpful in my opinion. Oh well, “never skimp on brakes or tyres” is a mantra which has served me well so far (I’m still here) so no point changing that for the sake of a few quid. Neil
  39. Beillynoy

FK8 Wheels

I’m running FK2 alloys with winter rubber on my FK8. Works a treat. No clearance issues. N.
  40. Beillynoy

FK8 Dark inside..

Or twist the knob sticking out of the right hand side of your dash display, which adjusts instrument illumination.
  41. Beillynoy

FK8 MPG

Yep. I agree. I’ve had cars with a strictly prescribed 1200 mile running in period, so am taking a leaf out of that book and plan to do as follows (I’m currently at 180miles): Gentle inputs for the first 200 miles, avoid crappy surfaces (where possible) ie reduce mechanical shocks Suspension in...
  42. Beillynoy

FK8 MPG

Yep. I agree. I’ve had cars with a strictly prescribed 1200 mile running in period, so am taking a leaf out of that book and plan to do this (currently at 180miles): Gentle inputs for the first 200 miles, avoid crappy surfaces (where possible) ie reduce mechanical shocks Suspension in comfort...
  43. Beillynoy

FK8 Turning it up to 11

Good to see that Honda engineers have a sense of humour. I spotted this evening that the warning beep volume (in settings / system) goes all the way up to 11. Kudos to whoever signed off on that. Neil.
  44. Beillynoy

I’ve been using the USB port beside the HDMI port. Worked fine all the way home tonight, using one of my original cables. I made a point of plugging in the phone before starting the car - will check if that’s the common theme for when it works -v- fails. Thanks.
  45. Beillynoy

FK8 MPG

I’m planning to keep this car for a while, so running it in gently.... which is my excuse for what follows.... 150miles done, and on my commute last night (22 miles on a mixture of A-roads and motorway with some congestion which slowed top speed) I achieved 36.7mpg according to the dashboard...
  46. Beillynoy

FFFFFFFS. I can’t believe that 2 cables are doing the same thing. I’ve removed and re-paired the phone too. It seems to work fine for a while then just stops. I’ll pay more attention to what’s going on when it tops in case something is triggering it, but I fear it’s not just a cable issue. If...
  47. Beillynoy

What was the problem you experienced, Cookra? Did the car sometimes just not recognise your iPhone X? If so I’m having the same issue - in which case I’ll go and get a new cable per your solution. Sheesh these Apple cables are delicate wee flowers aren’t they? N.
  48. Beillynoy

FK8 RS3 to Type R

This is exactly why I’ve gone for a black one. It hides the plastic addenda better than other colours, IMO. And helps the red highlights stand out. And, if you’re so inclined, a liberal dollop of PPF removes the stone chip worry. N.
  49. Beillynoy

FK8 What and when to buy?

The Dunfermline showroom is my local dealership: I test drove their car. And have ordered the same spec: black GT. Unfortunately Dunfermline wouldn’t do the deal I was looking for, hence I called Perth dealership with the exact same offer that I previously put to Dunfermline. Nick answered the...
  50. Beillynoy

I’ll be in on Saturday 24th having the scheduled post-installation check up of my other car’s PPF, which is handy because I’ll see the Civic getting finished off at the same time. Other car was nose to tail Xpel PPF then ceramic’d but the Civic PPF will only be full front, high impact side...
  51. Beillynoy

FK8 Winter (and snow) driving opinions

Haha. No. I met Nick face to face for the first time today. It’s the slightly cheaper 19” FK2 wheels, rather than the 20” FK8s that I’ll be using for winter. After reading on here, then further researching the cost of winter tyres for the 20” FK8 wheels, dropping an inch was a no-brainer...
  52. Beillynoy

Thanks again for everyone’s input. I’ve ordered a Black GT for 1st March delivery - the dealer (Nick at Perth Honda) threw in a set of FK2 Cobra alloys for which I’m paying for rubber. Seems a decent deal, so I’m happy. It’s booked into a local detailer for Xpel PPF on front, roof, and side...
  53. Beillynoy

From my experience, Nick at Perth Honda is open to discussing a sensible deal. There’s only a small margin to play with in the UK cars but, if you’re trading something in on which the salesman should make a profit, then they’re likely to do a deal. For example (ahem), if you’re planning to use...
  54. Beillynoy

They look great, Loxy. If I go ahead with this purchase they’ll certainly be a contender - likely to come down to insurance company awkwardness re aftermarket versus official Honda wheels. Again, thanks for everyone’s input. N.
  55. Beillynoy

Thanks for your replies. All very helpful. I’m running a fresh set of Michelin PS4s on the Golf currently, but have used Winter wheel/tyre sets previously on a Saab Turbo X and a GT-R so am aware of the difference these can make. My main reason for asking here was to establish whether winters...
  56. Beillynoy

Good morning This is my first post here, so hello also! I’m swithering over the purchase of a new Type R to use every day: rain, hail or shine. I test drove a couple of weeks ago, deliberately choosing a day that was wet and, well, Scottish. I was very impressed with how the car handles...
Back