• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Mark_FK8

FK8 Ltd Edition BBS Forged Alloys

The costs sounds about right compared to the 18" BBS forged alloys on the GR Yaris. They are £1600 each. They are nice but vastly overpriced compared to similar after market wheels.
  2. Mark_FK8

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

It is a PITA, but one advantage is that as a distance buyer you have an automatic right to cancel/reject within 14 days.
  3. Mark_FK8

At what cost? £80k+ if the spec or existence of the 3JZ is true. There's nothing wrong with the B58 engine and gives 450 HP easily with stock hardware. If it does see the light of day, I'm not sure it'll ever make it to Europe.
  4. Mark_FK8

It was also wet, 6C and other tourist cars on the track, as oppose to an empty track in ideal conditions that Honda and Renault would have enjoyed to set their record lap times. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the Yaris couldn't match their times as the benefit of 4WD and compact dimensions...
  5. Mark_FK8

That vid is part of the best affordable driver's car article they ran in Autocar a couple of weeks ago. The result was: 1) Toyota GR Yaris (140 points) 2) Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition (132 points) As already said - very different cars.
  6. Mark_FK8

FK8 NYE FK8 treat!

The car only had 100 miles on it from what I remember. December is a good month to screw maximum discounts from dealers desperate to shift tin at the quietest time of the year and close to quarter end.
  7. Mark_FK8

EP3 FK8 Civic Type R Limited Edition Global Allocation

I'm not so sure Europe has been hard done by if you compare how many "normal" FK8s have sold compared to North America and Japan.
  8. Mark_FK8

EP3 Civic Type R Limited Edition - Register - UK-000

Honda didn't seem to do anything about US dealers selling cars way over list to eager punters, so I doubt they care TBH. Honda UK might have different ideas, but I doubt they hold much sway unless an actual contractual agreement has been broken.
  9. Mark_FK8

What did you do to your Type R today?

Given Honda's tiny European sales, especially for the FK8, it makes me wonder if they will bother with a new Type R in Europe. Most of their sales come from the US and Asia Pac. If they do and it's even bigger than the FK8 I wouldn't buy one anyway no matter how good it was.
  10. Mark_FK8

Spot on! :D
  11. Mark_FK8

It's not me doing the willy waving :lol:
  12. Mark_FK8

It's not comparable for all sorts of reasons, not least being the Yaris lapping on a damp track in sub 10 C temperature whilst having to pass the usual tourist traffic. I suspect Honda and Renault had a closed track and optimum temperatures. The biggest reason though is due to the Toyota...
  13. Mark_FK8

I couldn't get a test drive due to Covid, but will get one before mine arrives. It was a case of order a couple of weeks ago to get one for March next year. I think the wait is now back to May 21 with most of the UK allocation gone.
  14. Mark_FK8

I traded my FK8 for an M140i about 2 years ago. I liked the FK8 a lot, but too big for my needs and a driveway originally made for the width of a horse drawn carriage. I know the GR is also wide, but a couple of inches less than the Civic. I couldn't afford one in my 20s either - in fact I had...
  15. Mark_FK8

It really isn't a Yaris apart from the name. It has a bespoke 3 door strengthened shell and every component apart from lights and mirrors are different. Unlike a standard 5 dr Yaris built in France the GR taked 10 times longer to build in Japan. As for the price, you get a lot of hardware for...
  16. Mark_FK8

The FK8 is probably a better smooth track weapon, but if you frequent B roads I reckon that Yaris GR would be an absolute blast. £34K for the circuit pack version with front and rear LSD is a lot, but it's a Yaris in name only when you look at the hardware it's packing and bespoke 3 door...
  17. Mark_FK8

Drift mode is irrelevant, but it does illustrate the torque vectoring on the rear axle. That might make it a bit more playful than the old one. The trouble is it's likely to be £40k as a base car, and closer to £50k with the performance pack and options. That makes the FK8 look like fantastic...
  18. Mark_FK8

EP3 Buying/financing your Type R

£2355 discount on a factory order for a Racing Blue FK8 GT within 20 minutes of a Carwow enquiry. I'm sure you can do a bit better with some haggling, or considerably better if you can find a dealer with pre update cars in stock. Try December for the best deals in stock cars - typically dealers...
  19. Mark_FK8

EP3 Cookie's FK8 Tale of Woe - 4th gear lockout and popout

I think I'd tell the dealer they have one chance to fix it this week or the car gets rejected.
  20. Mark_FK8

EP3 Boost Blue

Just had a look on the configurator. It looks like Boost blue has become Racing Blue on UK cars and Brilliant Blue is no longer available.
  21. Mark_FK8

EP3 CTR 2020 Review

One thing missing from the original car was the ability to configure an individual mode so you could have a mix of throttle map, suspension and steering. As Fan says above. the pre canned throttle map in comfort is useless. I can't understand why they haven't done that for the facelift car.
  22. Mark_FK8

A Mini with similar power, better torque, and lower weight. No surprise really.
  23. Mark_FK8

EP3 Thinking of trading in for a 2020 - thoughts?

US cars don't get a GPF.
  24. Mark_FK8

EP3 Thinking of trading in for a 2020 - thoughts?

Are they available to order? No sign of the 2020 model update on the Honda UK website.
  25. Mark_FK8

As above - warranty starts from date of registration. Many take out a 4 year PCP on BMWs to reduce the monthlies and don't realise they are responsible in year 4 unless they buy an extended warranty.
  26. Mark_FK8

EP3 2 NEW type R Models confirmed ! LIGHT WEIGHT & SPORT Line , black seats back too !

The article I read said the yellow car shown in the teaser clip was filmed at Suzuka.
  27. Mark_FK8

+1 I find the current FK8 too big for my taste and garaging, so won't even consider if the next one is even bigger.
  28. Mark_FK8

EP3 Boost Blue

You still can't configure boost blue on the Honda UK website and no sign of the other 2020 updates either. If I was buying one I think I'd go for boost blue, but would have to see it in the flesh first.
  29. Mark_FK8

Just hope it's not even bigger and heavier than the FK8.
  30. Mark_FK8

FK8 Anyone tuned their FK8?

Does anyone really expect their warranty to be unaffected by engine mods that costs less than £500? AC Schnitzer have a warranty with their BMW engine mods, but their charges are eye watering (as in modest M2 upgrade costs £4k).
  31. Mark_FK8

I like it, subject to seeing it in the flesh. I'm not sure the red GT trim and seats works with that colour though. Commonly referred to as superman colours on BMW forums...
  32. Mark_FK8

I can't see Honda making any changes to the Civic production line at Swindon before it closes.
  33. Mark_FK8

Standard torque/hp through FWD fecked my tyres pretty quickly. More torque/power would be nice, but not sure FWD is the ideal platform. Sounds like fun though :-)
  34. Mark_FK8

FK8 Remap ECU FK8

Or more to the point, think about modding cars that you don't own but "bought" with a tiny deposit. Especially when the requested finance settlement is probably in the region of £50 - 60k on that M4.
  35. Mark_FK8

FK8 New Car PCP Buying

The FK8 was available via drivethe deal.co.uk with decent discount for a few months, but they no longer list any Honda cars, so suspect Honda UK have stepped in (like BMW used to do). If it's of any interest John Banks Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds have a couple of unregistered Blue GT models...
  36. Mark_FK8

As Jeremy Clarkson would say, you bought the wrong car :twisted:
  37. Mark_FK8

Can't recall any mass production FWD car do sub 5 seconds 0-60 mph or 0-100 kph. Pretty irrelevant anyway unless traffic light burnouts are your thing.
  38. Mark_FK8

I side is functional, the other is blanked off. It would look weird if not symmetrical. It's the same with the M140i until PPF was introduced from July 2018 when both sides became functional. It's the easiest way to tell pre PPF cars from later ones.
  39. Mark_FK8

FK8 New member looking for FK8 R

Cyprus is RHD, so UK is probably nearest. In years gone by people used to import Hondas the other way round due to cheaper RHD in Cyprus.
  40. Mark_FK8

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

I had to google "LSP safe" - stands for last surface protection, so in theory should be safe as long as diluted as advised. It wouldn't be much good as a general pre-wash in too concentrate form as it would strip wax etc because it would be too alkaline.
  41. Mark_FK8

FK8 Almost an FK8 Owner

A guy on a BMW forum I use wrote a tool to check vehicle's shady past including write offs that are not recorded for several reasons. Some of the stories and pictures are truly shocking. Check out: https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116085 Auto express article based on his...
  42. Mark_FK8

FK8 Honda closing Swindon plant

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/honda-civic-type-r-go-hybrid-part-electrification-plans All tech is expensive to start with. It will be interesting to see what VW do before Honda with the next Golf and 48V hybrid systems...
  43. Mark_FK8

If the next Type R uses an electric motor to augment a petrol engine as per the NSX it could be rather good. Instant torque and probably AWD to handle it plus top end from a powerful petrol engine. As you say - it's all speculation and 2025 is a long way away. Isn't the next Civic due in 2022...
  44. Mark_FK8

FK8 Had FK8 just over 6 months, a few little niggles .....

If I was considering the BRZ or GT86 it would be the GT86 simply because I have no idea where the nearest Subaru dealer is and would probably be a PITA for every warranty niggle and servicing.
  45. Mark_FK8

The hot hatch or whatever it evolves to will survive in one format or another if the market is there for it. Car manufacturers, or businesses in general are just in it to make the best bottom line. WRT electric battery powered vehicles, I personally can't believe that is the future...
  46. Mark_FK8

It's 2 months old on a 68 plate, so even worse :-)
  47. Mark_FK8

I looked at sales figures for 2018 outside of their domestic market. Europe - 136,000 cars sold US - 1,446,000 cars sold China - 1,452,000 cars sold It's very sad for those concerned, but it can't come as a great surprise they are pulling out of manufacturing in the UK and possibly...
  48. Mark_FK8

FK8 K&N Performance Air Filter?

Honda sold 19 of the new NSX in the UK last year and I'd guess a few of those went to dealer owners. Never seen one on the road.
  49. Mark_FK8

Got to be cheap to sell a car with 20k miles when there are plenty of low milers available. Honda UK are also now contributing £1250 to PCP deals even if you can't get your local dealer to discount my much (£2750 total PCP discount from brokers). Over supply and discounts = poor resale...
  50. Mark_FK8

FK8 Anyone tuned their FK8?

Glad I sold mine or that would be £2k I had to spend :-) Looks much better than the standard exhaust.
  51. Mark_FK8

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

I wouldn't disagree with that - 2 years after launch is about usual for a mid life facelift, but normally fairly subtle rather than radical changes. I guess that makes an April US reveal of those changes realistic :-)
  52. Mark_FK8

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

Dunno why other markets have them, but AIUI there is no UK legal requirement for self levelling and washers with LED lights. All the cars I've had with Xenon lights did have self levelling and washers.
  53. Mark_FK8

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

I'm unconvinced and any update will likely go to the US first. In the UK/EU we don't even have the 2019 model year updates already seen in the US. As and when the inevitable facelift does occur Honda should focus on the rear 3/4 and rear end as IMO that is what divides opinion and could be a lot...
  54. Mark_FK8

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

If you look at a US site, you will get North American answers. I can't speak for EU cars sold outside of the UK, but in the UK they are still advertised with unchanged power and torque values. I do know that BMW have added a GPF from 07/18 builds to their M(1/2)40i cars, but power and torque...
  55. Mark_FK8

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

As far as I know the November updates have only made it to the US market at the moment.
  56. Mark_FK8

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

From 09/2018 WLTP regulations in the EU limit the amount of particulate emissions, so it effectively mandated the use of GPF on all direct injection petrol engines. I don't know when Honda made the change, but 05/2018 would seem reasonable to ensure compliance.
  57. Mark_FK8

FK8 FK8 values

Leaving the overpayments aside, by buying used for £30k you are funding ~ £3k less in depreciation over the 3 year term and put in a higher deposit (£1324) than the example above on a new car. £4324 over 3 years is £120 pcm so the numbers make sense when comparing.
  58. Mark_FK8

FK8 Will it fit in the garage?

Yeah, the 1 series due 3rd or 4th quarter next year is based on the Mini platform, so FWD and no room for an inline 6. The M140i will become an M130i with AWD and a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine. I guess power and torque will be competitive with similarly configured rivals such as the Golf R, S3...
  59. Mark_FK8

Ha ha - As the new 1 series will be FWD/AWD with 4 pot engines I'll stick with what I have until something more interesting comes up :lol:
  60. Mark_FK8

Thanks - I do know that although didn't appreciate how bloated it had become. It would appear that most of the UK journalists don't when they compare it to what I consider to be traditional sized cars they compare it to.
  61. Mark_FK8

To summarise, it's a Honda Accord Type R in disguise with a hatch plus a bit more :-) No bad thing, but I personally I want something smaller. As previously discussed, my fault as I knew the dimensions when I bought it.
  62. Mark_FK8

FK8 What deals are out there?

Drivethedeal.co.uk can do better than that at just over 8%. The discount has slightly reduced since the turn of the year probably due to the new financial quarter so dealers aren't chasing targets yet. Check again nearer the end of the month or towards the end of quarters, although obviously the...
  63. Mark_FK8

FK8 FK8 values

I think the general consensus on here is that FK8 residuals are good compared to some obvious rivals. I was quite happy with the P/X offered for my car based on the price I paid for it and could have got a bit more had I been prepared to sell it privately. The main reason I sold it wasn't due to...
  64. Mark_FK8

It's also ~ 12 inches longer than the Golf
  65. Mark_FK8

FK8 FK8 values

Just looked at the Honda UK web site: A 36 month PCP with a £8.676 deposit would cost £339 PCM. I guess most people just look at the monthly cost and don't have that deposit, or alternatively spend that cash on a decent used car that they own (warts & all).
  66. Mark_FK8

FK8 FK8 values

Go on then, what deposit did you pay for £300 pcm on a PCP for a Type R :-) £2k deposit and £299 would "buy" an M140i over 4 years, or best deal £325 for £0 deposit. S3 and Golf R deals are a bit limited due to WLTP delays but were similar although not quite as good due to lower finance...
  67. Mark_FK8

FK8 FK8 values

Seriously! Did you check the deposit required to get to that amount???? And then compare to a Golf R, Audi S3 or BMW M140i. Very expensive in comparison last time I looked.
  68. Mark_FK8

FK8 FK8 values

Supply is limited because new demand was never very high judging by the number of cars sold in the UK (and there are a lot of unsold 68 plate cars on the Honda web site). Whether that was down to very expensive PCP terms compared to rivals, or due to negative reaction to styling remains to be...
  69. Mark_FK8

FK8 FK8 values

£27.5k is main dealer money for an early 17 plate FK8. £30,995 will get a Dec 2018 FK8 GT with 10 miles on the clock. Both prices on the Honda approved cars web site. Or a brand new red GT FK8 for £30,795 from a broker. The best trade price I could get for my September 2017 FK8 GT with 5k miles...
  70. Mark_FK8

BMW M140i
  71. Mark_FK8

Got £26k P/X for a 67 (09/17) ex demo I sold 2 weeks ago, although still low miles (5k). I paid £28,995 in Feb so as far as I'm concerned ~ £300 PCM loss is good going compared to other cars at that age. BTW - the PX wasn't at the expense of full discount on the new car, so a realistic value.
  72. Mark_FK8

New tyres

It doesn't alter the issue that the stock speedo reading has changed as a result of a larger diameter wheel. As long as it isn't under reading and there's no reliance on it over reading as a safety margin, then all is good.
  73. Mark_FK8

New tyres

It's not an extra 5mm of tyre wall. 35 refers to the % profile against the tyre width. 245 * 30/100 = 73.50 255 * 35/100 = 89.25 That's a 15.75 mm difference which results in a greater overall diameter of 31.5mm or ~ 1.25". Is your speedo still accurate? I'm amazed you can tell all of the...
  74. Mark_FK8

FK8 New member and soon to be R owner

FWD to RWD, Wacky races to Plain Jane looks :-) Yep, very different, but previously had an M240i so kind of know what to expect. Just need a Billy B12 or B16 kit and all sorted.
  75. Mark_FK8

Reluctantly yes - BMW M140i with LSD fitted. I say reluctantly because I do like the FK8 a lot, but it's just too big for where I live (narrow drive built for horse drawn coaches many a year ago!). If it was more Golf or 1 series long and wide I wouldn't be selling. I thought about the Megane...
  76. Mark_FK8

The US is a far bigger FK8 market for Honda, so I can't see the UK getting anything other than the recent minor November update recently announced there. Maybe a mid life facelift in 2020 as mentioned. Resale/residuals are still pretty strong - pleasantly surprised by a part ex offer on my sept...
  77. Mark_FK8

The 2019 update model is already on sale in the US. Equipment levels may vary, but as far as I can see there are no external changes and internal changes are limited to real buttons for volume control and fan settings, larger cup holders, revised steering wheel buttons and a light indicator for...
  78. Mark_FK8

Hi - The redline limit is 7k. My car is exactly the same as yours when you exceed that point and from what I've read elsewhere it cuts the fuelling which explains the behaviour. I miss the top end on the NA cars, but then again they had puny torque compared to the turbo engines.
  79. Mark_FK8

The US Honda site is now updated. I don't see any mention of heated seats but I wouldn't spec them anyway unless leather. US spec new infotainment system:
  80. Mark_FK8

A quick look at Drive the deal says £31,283 for a black GT version on a PCP (no Honda finance contribution on the R) or £30,783 if paying cash. Given that the broker usually takes 1% you should be able to do even better if you haggle hard enough. I bought a main dealer October 67 plate GT with...
  81. Mark_FK8

It looks a bit pricey for a 14 month old car as the brand new ones are now being discounted which is bound to hit residuals.
  82. Mark_FK8

FK8 Object approaching warning in rain!

Thanks for that, very useful info. It will be interesting to see if Honda issue a recall or just respond to complaints. I'll be contacting my dealer and they can also fix the vibration/rattle from the centre speaker (I think that's where it's from) every time I approach 3k RPM.
  83. Mark_FK8

FK8 To run in or not?.

I have no reference for the Honda FK8 engine, but it is very unusual for a volume engine to be "bedded in" at the factory. The first time they are fired up in anger is usually as they roll off the production line. A very small % of engines produced will be tested, but it's not the norm.
  84. Mark_FK8

FK8 To run in or not?.

I'm not aware of there being a particular issue in recent times with BMW, although I'm not a fan of the variable service common with most manufacturers, as it's a tactic to reduce maintenance costs for fleet owners and screws private owners of older cars out of warranty if issues occur.
  85. Mark_FK8

FK8 To run in or not?.

BMW advise running in as described above up to 4500 RPM and 1200 miles. The oil change is only for M cars though. The rest go up to 2 years before seeing any new oil depending on how the car is driven and miles covered.
  86. Mark_FK8

EP3 Cookie's FK8 Tale of Woe - 4th gear lockout and popout

I nearly didn't buy an FK8 because the 'box in the local dealer's demonstrator seemed very notchy and imprecise. Nothing like the EP3 Type R or S2000 I owned years ago. However the car I bought elsewhere after driving it feels totally different with a very slick but mechanical feeling gear...
  87. Mark_FK8

FK8 Non GT FK8

But if you get to the end of the PCP term at least you're not stuck with a car that is difficult to sell. Just walk away and start again and it's Honda's problem. Getting out early hurts in depreciation or negative equity whichever method you buy most new cars. For buying a car outright PCP is...
  88. Mark_FK8

FK8 Show me your creaminess!

I live in the sticks - you don't wear white or yellow shirts in summer/autumn unless you like being covered in bugs.
  89. Mark_FK8

FK8 Non GT FK8

If you configure a prestige to £30K you can get just under £5k discount via brokers like DTD, so more like 25k in reality. Discounts on a Type R GT are more like £2750 from the same broker.
  90. Mark_FK8

I watched it, but TBH I find their contrived agility and track tests to be pretty much irrelevant. The Megane looks more nimble on a tight track, but every road test review criticises the cup suspension as being too harsh to live with for day to day road use, which is where the FK8 gets praise...
  91. Mark_FK8

My dealer usually has stock cars for sale that seem to hang around. I also noticed the FK8 has appeared on drivethedeal.com this week for the first time with just over 8% discount, so more like 9% before the broker's commission. There is also an additional £500 discount for cash buyers.
  92. Mark_FK8

Probably due to what they consider a low risk age factor and no claims or points but most importantly a post code with low vehicle crime.
  93. Mark_FK8

Rural Suffolk with 9+ years NCD - Renewed with LV a couple of days ago at £191.87 including PNCD. That was cheaper than any of the comparison sites or direct insurers (best of £210) and also cheaper than checking online with LV as a new customer. I does include a bit of discount for also...
  94. Mark_FK8

Thanks - I have looked at all the volume settings, but they seem to relate to the Honda Sensing options and nothing for just the parking sensors. I've tried upping all the configurable options but they have no effect on the parking sensors. I'll ask the dealer to have a look as it's due for...
  95. Mark_FK8

I've not had that issue yet, but I'm intrigued as to how you get your front parking sensors to be deafening? Mine are barely audible even when close to an object.
  96. Mark_FK8

FK8 Misfire FK8 Type R recovered

Direct injection makes it a more complex task, but hardly a big deal for a fully equipped main dealer workshop assuming access is easy enough.
  97. Mark_FK8

FK8 Misfire FK8 Type R recovered

If it is a new injector I wouldn't class that as major engine work. Sh1t happens with all cars and at all price points - at least work with the dealer and give them a chance to fix it.
  98. Mark_FK8

New tyres

FWIW the Evo 2018 tyre review: https://www.evo.co.uk/features/18309/best-car-tyres-evo-performance-tyre-test
  99. Mark_FK8

Took my FK8 to the dealer today to get a replacement (ready painted) offside rear wheel arch extension fitted, courtesy of some unknown **** who scraped it whilst parked. Replacement plus labour was £186, which is probably a fair bit cheaper than repairing and painting a standard wheel arch. DIY...
  100. Mark_FK8

My FK8 is 11 months old with only 2k miles, so the other day I checked the service menu in the car and it indicated over 3k miles until the A service. Having checked the manual and service book, it suggests that if the car is on variable servicing it will indicate the approximate amount of time...
Back