• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Callum93

05 civic ep3 type r cold start noise

Thats my car :), Still makes the noise i put it down as starter motor? Could be wrong though im no mechanic. out of curiousity how much miles had yours done when the chain was done. Mine is on 84k and has never been done.
  2. Callum93

Sorry to hear that Mike, Pop a video up if you can. Most likely the starter motor not disengaging from the flywheel fast enough causes a grinding noise for the first second or two at start. Not really worth changing unless it really bothers you.
  3. Callum93

Suspension modifying advice needed.

Hi, im in the process of renewing all the tired suspension components on my ep3 civic type r. for it's last MOT it required new front struts and i plan on replacing the rear struts soon as there 14 years old now and feeling a bit tired. What i need advice with is what is best to do first to...
  4. Callum93

Best Brake discs and pads for ep3?

What is best for road use would be of help Chris.
  5. Callum93

Best Brake discs and pads for ep3?

As the title stats what are the best discs and pads you have came across for the ep3 as mine are needing changing soon. The car is just used for road use.
  6. Callum93

EP3 Splash Guards?

Mine are the same at the front. They protect water and stones from hitting the disc and also stop the heat from the brakes from damaging your brake lines. You can get some 2nd hand hub assemblies off eBay £40 a side. Was going to wait till i need new discs before i sort it.
  7. Callum93

Yea the car is parked on slope with the front end facing downwards, Probably doesn't help it much for cold starts.
  8. Callum93

Callum's 05 Cosmic Grey Civic type r

Decided to give her a clean today and took some pics, Scrubs up not bad. Also managed to get a new exhaust off ebay as the old one was looking scruffy.
  9. Callum93

After doing some research I believe the noise to be from a faulty VTC actuator. Seems quite common on vtec engines as the newer Honda accords are having problems at lower mileage. never really heard much of the K20a2 engine VTC actuator making the noise unless your running aggressive cams...
  10. Callum93

Heres a better video starts about 10seconds in. Will probably try by replacing the tensioner first and see if that does anything. https://youtu.be/uOLiuweqirU
  11. Callum93

Only happens on cold start up when the oil has drained to the sump over night.
  12. Callum93

Checked the valve clearances today and everything was as it should, Chain is still tight so tensioner must be doing it's job and looked at the VTC gear and rotated the chain everything seemed good. Guess it's just one of the noises you live with :)
  13. Callum93

I don't really know what mods i should do to it, It's completely stock at the moment, has enough power for me i think some handling mods will be next and maybe get some braided brake hoses. Direct quote from SK-R's build thread for taking off side skirts. "1. Remove the two self tapping screws...
  14. Callum93

Thanks man, Yours is coming along nicely too, Handy guides also used the one for removing the side skirts. Mine took 2 people to get em off...
  15. Callum93

Next job done was to treat and repair the rear rusted arches. Had to sand them down to clean metal, rust treat them and then paint them, Didn't bother with filler as they were pretty smooth after sanding. Before After Also got new carpets and wrapped the center console and door...
  16. Callum93

yea all work listed has been carried out by me. Was in a bit of a state when i got her but shes coming along nicely. Some pics of before i under sealed her wasn't looking too good luckily it was all surface rust. Afterwards
  17. Callum93

Swapped the oil today for some 5W40 and sounds a bit better i'll give it a go tomorrow and see what she sounds like.
  18. Callum93

Yea i guess it was, Not much of these up in the north of Scotland were i live, travelled 5 hours just to see it.
  19. Callum93

Hi, im quite new to hondas but always fancied an ep3 and have always liked the cosmic grey ones :) So i went to see one and bought the first one i saw :p Haven't really gotten any good pictures yet as it has needed quite a bit done cosmetically and mechanically. Here's a list of...
  20. Callum93

This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-HAMP-OIL-FILTER-HONDA-CIVIC-2001-2006-TYPE-R-EP3-K20A/292461568084?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
  21. Callum93

Ok cheers guys i've got a 5L bottle of Fuchs TITAN SUPERSYN 5W-40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil that i'll put in on the weekend while checking the valve clearances and see if it makes any difference.
  22. Callum93

2005 ep3 civic type r with just over 82,000 miles on it, Has been serviced by Honda up to 40,000 then a few receipts from local garages, I was hoping that the chain and tensioner would be still be alright for a bit as it is pulling really strong in vtec and only makes the noise in the morning...
  23. Callum93

I have seen most people reccommend 5w40 but the car came with a Honda brochure and they recommend running 0w30, im doing the valve clearances on the weekend anyway to and i'll have a look at the chain and the vtc actuator for peace of mind. Do you reckon the noise is purely off of running...
  24. Callum93

Oil level is pretty much at the top marker just topped it up as i noticed it was getting low, I put in Shell Helix Ultra Professional AB-L 0W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil ACEA C3.
  25. Callum93

Hi, I just bought a ep3 type r about a month ago and on cold starts after it's been sitting over night it makes a rattling noise for about two seconds then it sounds OK. I have done some research and found it could be a few possible things 1. VTC actuator 2. Timing chain tensioner (Not...
Back