• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. MattFK8

FK8 FK8 Air Conditioning

Yes, my 19 plate had this back in the middle of this summer too. It's a known issue with this model of civic and there was a woman having the identical issue as me in the dealership at the same time. The service team re-gassed mine there and then but when they reported back stated they had...
  2. MattFK8

FK8 FK8 Facelift - does it still have issues?

Fair shout and appreciate your comment. All valid points. The I30 just didn't feel 'special' to drive to me (purely my opinion!) but can't argue with the equipment point. I will be interested to try the mild facelift just released. You will note from my comments above that i definitely view the...
  3. MattFK8

I see the point on the £45k, but are they actually selling at that price? The dealer that was selling the fabled '£50k' car has already reduced it to £48k. There's a lot of cars out there now for the mad prices (north of £40k) but not a lot moving. There's a dealer trying to sell a non facelift...
  4. MattFK8

Please don't take this as some fanboy defensive forum attitude as i'm really not like that, i'm just really interested in this statement. I usually change cars around each 2 years or so and i have to say that i assume you are referring to higher mileage/age cars. As a result of the inflated...
  5. MattFK8

Mine is an April 2019, 12k miles and i've never had issues with the gearbox. (jinxed myself right there!) It's tight when its cold but that is no different to any other manual performance car i've ever driven or owned. I think you would struggle to read any forum for ANY car and not get worried...
  6. MattFK8

FK8 Tyres...help a noob out....FK8

I've just had two bits of warranty work completed and i don't think they would have even looked at the tyres. Wasn't anything to do with wheels/suspension mind. Hopefully never have to test this directly but i would be surprised it would make a difference unless they were wildly different size...
  7. MattFK8

FK8 New FK8 - Paint & Running In Questions

I'm sorry for you as I see your point and you are totally correct on not being able to get one of these or anything else at the moment. I also think the post above is correct that unfortunately the dealer can see a profit here with the inflated forecourt values at the moment. Incidentally i...
  8. MattFK8

FK8 New FK8 - Paint & Running In Questions

As has been noted above, this has never occurred with me on any car, EVER. Given the issues around your car i wouldn't be driving it (and i know how tempting it is). It needs to be parked up at the dealership whilst Honda and the dealership argue about how to compensate you or sort you out with...
  9. MattFK8

FK8 Fuel pump recall

Recall done on mine last week (April 19 car with 12000 miles) whilst it was in getting the A/C condenser changed too. I had no issues whatsoever before the recall and now i swear it actually takes longer cranking on startup than it did before. Also yesterday the car felt like it 'ran on' ever...
  10. MattFK8

FK8 Non-performance modifications not insured

The tyres - as long as they have legal tread and they fit the wheels then an insurance company assessor would even know The oil catch can - Unless it is REALLY obvious or oil has leaked out of it causing an accident then they wouldn't even look for it. The dashcam - If the camera was stolen then...
  11. MattFK8

FK8 Non-performance modifications not insured

I'm sure they won't mind the dash cam being fitted if it provided evidence so they didn't have to pay out on a claim. Where is your concern here? Not having the costs of them covered should anything happen to the car? None of these mods would probably even be noticed by an insurance evaluator...
  12. MattFK8

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

You do have to question this in the rolling race.....the golf is 170kgs heavier AND will have the lag of the 4wd. Like the 'professional' driver says, its like the golf has about 100hp more. I had an F80 M3 before my FK8 and i think that would have struggled to pull much quicker over the Type R...
  13. MattFK8

FK8 My Sportline Has Landed

Nice one, well done!! Sportline looks a lot better in the best colour ;) as i think the brighter colours it is definitely lacking something missing the spoiler. But tastes change etc. Two years ago, when i got mine, i would have bitten your hand off for the black front seats but now i love the...
  14. MattFK8

FK8 NYE FK8 treat!

Nice work!! The best colour too!! :D Enjoy it!
  15. MattFK8

EP3 Civic Type R Limited Edition - Register - UK-000

They didn't exactly let the competition run for very long either. Clearly the intention from the start and the 'raffle' was the only way to get one from Honda. Pretty poor all round.
  16. MattFK8

What did you do to your Type R today?

For me, though, the new golf R just looks a bit boring? But i guess i drive an FK8 so i'm always going to say that. Now that GTI Clubsport in white looks more like it however. For me, also, 4wd on a hot hatch is wrong - just too much grip to make it fun.........but i haven't driven a GR Yaris yet!!
  17. MattFK8

EP3 FK8 Inbound

Yep, i'm with clam on this one. Really not taking anything away from the LE and well done for getting hold of one, just wish they had gone down the mental route. Had a really brief go in an R26R when i had my R26 and i couldn't believe the difference. Would love to see whether i can feel a...
  18. MattFK8

I've just had 4 255/35/20's fitted and i have to say after a few days i don't regret it one bit. Absolutely no rubbing, car running very well and i even prefer the look on the tyres. They look far less stretched on. Probably a placebo effect due to the Conti's being pretty worn but i swear the...
  19. MattFK8

Thanks for this. Really helpful. 35's it is then!! And £160 in my pocket!
  20. MattFK8

Just to be clear then, people are going for 255/35, not 255/30? I'm about to have to splash out on a new set and wondered why the 35 profile over the 30? Is it just cost? I see they are about £40 per corner cheaper. Love the idea of slightly more wheel protection. A tiny bit less directness on...
  21. MattFK8

FK8 A big disappointment

Yep, agree with this. I continue to be impressed with mine 18 months on. Rattles less than way more expensive cars i've owned or been in. But still, I'm not going to criticise the OP. You came, you tried it and didn't like it. Bought something you did like so enjoy it!!! I had my heart set on...
  22. MattFK8

FK8 FK8 test drive

April 19 car for me. 9k miles and no gearbox issues whatsoever. I will say that the first 2k miles or so the change felt 'tight' until the fluids were up to temperature, but a) I would expect this of any brand new car, especially a performance car and b) you shouldn't be ragging a car when...
  23. MattFK8

FK8 Climate control module replacement

Really sorry but not for me, i'm afraid. Just don't like the look of it and don't touch the heating often enough for it to bother me. Not knocking you for doing it though. Each to their own and clearly it bothers you enough, so well done for doing it.
  24. MattFK8

FK8 Insurance ...

It is very true that there are many factors that affect the premiums of cars. As an example the wife and I have a multicar policy with LV and it costs more to insure her 7 year old BMW 320i touring than my 2019 FK8?!? Same drivers and location on both cars. Both of us over 40 with clean licenses...
  25. MattFK8

FK8 Hard Braking : Rear end instability

I like it and it reflects the performance of the car. You only need to watch the BTCC to see the race cars standing it on their nose. I will add however that whilst i've felt the back end go light many times, only once was it a problem with the car over-rotating and that was when i got a corner...
  26. MattFK8

FK8 Tow bars or not?

Given the exhaust runs up the centre rear of the car, not sure you could fit one without major modification anyway. I'd go roof rack. There are some good solutions particularly on the US site.
  27. MattFK8

FK8 Rear Number Plate Bolts

Yes, used to get to drive a mates EP3 quite a lot and loved the dash mounted gear shift. Probably the biggest example of seeing something - hating it - then trying it out and loving it!!
  28. MattFK8

FK8 Rear Number Plate Bolts

Not for me, i'm afraid. I just love the look and feel of the titanium one. Eye of the beholder and all that......
  29. MattFK8

EP3 2 NEW type R Models confirmed ! LIGHT WEIGHT & SPORT Line , black seats back too !

I agree. Of the few things i would change on the Type R, brake pedal travel never even crossed my mind!! Incidentally i had mine service yesterday and one of the salesmen tried to suggest I should have gone for one of the limited editions. We were chatting, however and he couldn't actually come...
  30. MattFK8

EP3 2 NEW type R Models confirmed ! LIGHT WEIGHT & SPORT Line , black seats back too !

Oh yes!! Sorry if my last post appeared negative, enjoy the Boost Blue!!!! It's purely a personal taste thing and there's nothing at all wrong with it, just not for me!!
  31. MattFK8

Having seen that real world picture of the boost blue i'm slightly disappointed...just a bit too powder blue for me. I was hoping it would be a slightly deeper, classier shade. Too close to the Focus RS or Clio racing colour for me. Even happier with my polished metal now, so oddly the only...
  32. MattFK8

The limited edition in the video is a left hooker so at least we know they haven't ruined one of our 20 by ragging it round a track already.
  33. MattFK8

Sport Line just doesn't look right with the little wing for me...and i'm someone who found the FK8 just too extreme when they first launched it!! It now looks like an Si with a bit of extra body kit. Not the point of the car for me, i'd have massive wing envy!! But if my dealer could do me a...
  34. MattFK8

FK2 Drivers who feel compelled to race you

I find its the same crowd wanting a 'race' in the FK8 as it was in the M3 - middle aged men in people carriers or non descript company cars. Clearly there is a huge element that is jealousy but they are usually the worst. On of my favourite roads is a cut through when the M1 North is blocked -...
  35. MattFK8

Very true! Main reason why i wouldn't buy another one at the moment. They have ruined it themselves with their large discounts.
  36. MattFK8

I went from an F80 M3 (a similar idea to the M2) to the FK8 and 8 months in I don't regret the decision. I was fortunate enough to drive the M3 for 2 years though. Pure drama every time i drove it, especially this time of the year. You will get fed up being beaten off the lights in the wet by...
  37. MattFK8

FK2 Wheel Arch Chips?

F80 M3!! Terrible.....the car comes from the factory with PPF already applied. The sills behind the front wheels were awful too.
  38. MattFK8

Type R #16 - FK8 #3

Stu, having gone from an F80 M3 to the FK8 i totally echo your thoughts and could have written most of your explanation post. Both around the usability of the FK8 and the ownership cost. It is an amazing package. BMW are upsetting a lot of very loyal owners at the moment with their...
  39. MattFK8

FK8 Front tyres - only 6k and done?!

Yes I did. Fancied a hot hatch and a manual gearbox and the FK8 seemed the obvious choice. Don't regret it at all, you never really drove the F80. Not on the road...not properly. Sooooo much power and that feeling, in the wet that it may kill you at any point!! Not saying i won't go back that...
  40. MattFK8

FK8 Front tyres - only 6k and done?!

Agree. I've never been 'hard' on tyres in any car (although i do 'enjoy' the Type R a lot!!) but at just over 5k I'm already looking to do the front-back swap on my Conti's. I have always had good experiences on Michelin tyres so looking to wear out all four and replace in one go. I will say...
  41. MattFK8

How can you get this so wrong and still claim to be a motoring journalist!! Not exactly a detailed road test, is it? Despite being as complimentary as it is.
  42. MattFK8

FK8 A few questions... Differences? Or am i stupid?

Yep, mine is the same. Can't tell you build date but it was brand new to me at the end of April 19. R-26065
  43. MattFK8

FK8 The steering wheel holds dips!

The OCD me is gently weeping on my keyboard!! :picardfp:
  44. MattFK8

FK8 Winter tyres

Personally, if you have the option to just not drive if it snows, i wouldn't worry about winter tyres. Totally agree with the comments around fitting 19's for the pot hole protection though. Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge advocate of winter tyres (x-drive BMW) and we have them on the wife's...
  45. MattFK8

FK8 FK8 ordered

The BEST colour!!! Sorry, couldn't resist :p Each to their own, love what you've got, it's what makes life interesting!!!!!
  46. MattFK8

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

You will find the 'manufacturer recommendation' on replacing tyres differs significantly to what you might think. A friend of mine took his wife's Mini Countryman for service at BMW to be told the front tyres need replacing. He was surprised and told them to leave them for now. Got there to...
  47. MattFK8

I think you will realise that the A45 is the ultimate trophy wife who you simply can't afford!! Heard a well specced one, to the level of the FK8 GT, is going to be north of £55k!!!
  48. MattFK8

FK8 600 miles in and gearbox concerns...

I would certainly echo the comments above around making sure the car is up to temperature and also mention that I think it does improve after a bit more running in. Certainly never had a problem actually engaging gear though so make sure the dealer is kept well up to date. I'm 2500 miles in now...
  49. MattFK8

FK8 Rev limiter before 7K?

F80 for me!! Keep an eye on that at 6.5k. Mine sings its way up to 7k and it's only got 2.5k miles on it so i expect it to still be a bit tight.
  50. MattFK8

FK8 Rev limiter before 7K?

I haven't actually hit the limiter yet but can vouch that it must be at least at 7k and theres no drop off at 6.5k. I am fastidious about not revving my car when cold, though. It may restrict it if the car isn't happy though. My M3 had a moving red line when the car was cold that started at...
  51. MattFK8

FK8 Goodwood FoS...

The driver in the Supra in that video is very good though and knows the circuit very well. Check out how smooth he is even when drifting the car out of corners. That is not the car.
  52. MattFK8

FK8 Goodwood FoS...

It's a really odd one isn't it. It's very rare there's a car that can be so different depending on the angle you view it. Not one i'll be lusting after but one of my mates loves it and is seriously looking at one!! He thinks it looks great.
  53. MattFK8

FK8 Goodwood FoS...

Not quite so sure they missed a trick. I like the way my type R sounds. I'd like it to be selectively a little louder (cue the Remus purchase!) but i don't want it to pop and bang all the time. Someone i know has a golf R with the akra exhaust and it does it constantly. It's really funny the...
  54. MattFK8

Where's your sense of adventure?!? I've bought my last two cars without telling the wife. Quite enjoy the sport of working out how to bring it up in conversation!!! :lol:
  55. MattFK8

I'm guessing the roof, mirrors, scoop camouflage is due to those parts being in Carbon maybe?
  56. MattFK8

FK2 New (to me) FK2 Type R

This!! Walk in to BMW and tell them you want a cash price as you are financing it through someone else and watch them drop from 10% then!! I paid 4.9% on my used M3 on AUC through BMW.
  57. MattFK8

FK2 Engine management light

More than likely checking the overall condition of the car and for mods. They will check everything to try to avoid paying out on a warranty, particularly on a car which isn't known for such problems.
  58. MattFK8

FK8 First Service Oil Change

Any good brand oil at the correct Honda spec and viscosity is going to be fine on the car. I'm not a massive fan of 'mixing' where i put a different brand in to top up what is already in there, but that's just me being a bit OCD. The dealers will chop and change depending on the deal. My M3 came...
  59. MattFK8

FK8 Remap ECU FK8

:lol: Yep, it's actually a pretty good forum and has a reasonable crowd of people. There's always a couple of idiots who know best and won't let anyone tell them otherwise but that's no different to any other i've been on (and there's been a few with my car history!) Back on topic, this whole...
  60. MattFK8

FK8 Remap ECU FK8

No problems https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/bmw-cancels-m4-car-finance-llf.213294/ Enjoy!! 13 pages and counting....... It's a typical forum thread! There's some really useful, insightful information. Some complete untruths and the usual small pockets of willy waving!!
  61. MattFK8

FK8 Remap ECU FK8

This is the real grey area that was discussed at length. I will guarantee that somewhere on your finance agreement it states that you won't do any modifications to the car without the prior approval with the finance company. So technically no, you cannot put a cat back system without being in...
  62. MattFK8

FK8 Remap ECU FK8

Very true. This has, for obvious reasons, been very extensively discussed on the M3 forum and yes, the general conclusion is that you have to be very careful tuning on a financed vehicle. It's also worth pointing out here, however, that LLF has done some VERY extensive modding to his M4 -...
  63. MattFK8

FK8 New Car PCP Buying

I did Car Wow to get a general view of the discounts dealers were offering, then went and dealt direct and got better deals anyway. You also build up the rapport with a dealer which is sometimes worthwhile, sometimes not!
  64. MattFK8

FK8 New Car PCP Buying

Where are you based? I would suggest Norton Way in Letchworth. Speak to David Baldwin, he did a good deal on my trade in and new car a month ago. Didn't mess about either, i told him what i wanted and he came back with a good offer quickly.
  65. MattFK8

Trick of the light in the rear shot i think. Good call on it being the ring car, however.
  66. MattFK8

Yes please for the Team Dynamics one!!!! Would love to hear it!! Only thing, and it's a really minor personal thing, but it needs smaller spacers on the rear. Can't stand it when it looks like wheels sit slightly proud of the bodywork. Not saying the standard car doesn't need a little push out...
  67. MattFK8

FK8 Bridgestone Potenza S001?

Having had S001's on another car, i would expect them to last ages but won't be a patch on Michelin's in the wet or dry for grip. They won't be an awful tyre, I just find that generally Bridgestones are pretty hard and can be a bit scrabbly when pressed. Unfortunately ever since the RE04's that...
  68. MattFK8

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

Just bought mine and i'm 41!! Age is just a number. My wife tells me i'm on my third mid life crisis in three years! (All car/bike related)
  69. MattFK8

Thanks Pretty chuffed with what i've got if thats where its going, so sounds like I timed that quite well!! That CRV one is a little better, but i guess i like the clean look of the screen and the two climate knobs.
  70. MattFK8

Yeah, not too fussed. Given the deal i got on it too, i'm not going to complain :lol: Out of interest, does anyone have pictures of what they are doing with the infotainment system/climate controls? Had a little trawl online and couldn't see anything. I like the clean look of the system as is...
  71. MattFK8

Just as an update, my supposedly 'factory fresh' week old FK8 doesn't have a physical button for the volume on the stereo. Not something that really bothers me as, so far, I only use the steering wheel buttons for the volume anyway. Coming from a BMW I can understand the initial complication...
  72. MattFK8

FK8 Picking up my FK8 tomorrow

I'm always going to miss the M3. Always wanted one and don't regret buying it, but it's coming up to five years old and whilst it was running great i could see a lot of large bills in the near future. Performance wise it is giving away a lot and so far it is the massive levels of torque I...
  73. MattFK8

So mine is #26065 and i was told it was fresh from the 'factory' last week. I've driven home from the dealer and had a little play tonight and it's fair to say i'm not missing the M3 at this point. There was a moment of 'what am i doing' sitting in the dealer but then they pulled the sheet off...
  74. MattFK8

I could have written this thread yesterday!!! I'm picking up my new FK8 Type R this afternoon!! Polished Metal too. Can't wait. Really excited, as you should be on new car day!! Swapping it for a five year old F80 M3 which i will miss a lot, but the draw of a brand new hot hatch will...
Back