• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. S

EP 3 Radio Antenna

Hi The radio reception on my ‘05 EP3 has become poor recently. I suspect that there may be an amplifier somewhere between the roof aerial and radio which is failing? Can anybody confirm this and, if possible, suggest a replacement? Cheers Steve
  2. S

EP3 Idle unstable.

Well I did what you suggested and it’s all sorted. Thanks for your help. Cheers Steve
  3. S

EP3 Idle unstable.

So this is the part that looks like a temperature sender, with a hose to the side of rubber intake pipe and one to the intake manifold itself? Always wondered what that was and did! I’ll give that a try. Thanks for your help!
  4. S

EP3 Idle unstable.

Hello I have an issue with my ‘05 EP3. It is completely standard, 68k. On cold start it jumps to 2200 rpm and slowly drops to 850 when at normal running temp, it used to be 1500 rpm and down to 850 well before it was at normal running temp. The idle, once warm, is unstable, 700-1200rpm, near...
  5. S

Plated/Coated front brake discs?

Thanks for the info, I’ll take a look. Cheers
  6. S

Well that answers that question, thanks! With only 4000 miles on them, I might check the cost of getting them skimmed? Once you factor in new pads it could come to the same price as new though, I suspect. Cheers
  7. S

Thread resurrection for sure! Fitted Pagid discs and they were fine at first. Done 4000 miles on them and they are now rusting at an alarming rate! The rust is creeping up from the hub and they sound rough on brake application. Are the Brembo high carbon discs any better?
  8. S

EP3 2002 JDM EP3 Calipers

Hi As far as I understand, FN2 and EP3 callipers are the same, other than they are exchanged left to right due to their fitted position on the hub carrier. If JDM EP3 brakes are the same as European EP3, they should fit just fine. Cheers Steve
  9. S

ep3 clutch

Use ordinary DOT brake fluid.
  10. S

ep3 original headlights

New oem are about £150 and pattern around £100. Refurb has given good results for me, but you need to repeat regularly once you do it as the process removes the UV protection from the polycarbonate lens. Cheers
  11. S

ep3 clutch

The clutch is hydraulic, no cable. Check the small reservoir next to the brake filler cap for fluid first. Might be air or leak in system? Having been stood, it could be stuck down so check if you have drive but remember to keep the handbrake on in case it releases suddenly and jumps forward...
  12. S

Ep3 fog light blanks

When I fitted fog lights to my face lift EP3, the “covers” were part of the bumper. They needed to be cut off, in 4 spots around them. If they do sell replacement blanks, I’d be interested to know.
  13. S

Fn2 or ep3 for a daily car

Loxy has the best advice you will get with this! As an example, I went down this decision path. The extra creature comforts and more modern appearance steered my decision to FN2. I arranged test drives and found that my proportions, 6’2” but with relatively long legs and short body, cannot...
  14. S

EP3 What did you do to your EP3 today?

Front and rear calipers today. New callipers and carriers on the front and just calipers on rear. I’ll have a go at a recon on the old ones if the piston bores look OK. Hmm, silver or red?
  15. S

EP3 shocks, Sachs, Bilstein B4 or OEM?

Good to hear! When you remove the 2 bolts holding the strut to the hub carrier, they will be different from one another if one is a “camber” bolt. The struts on mine, standard springs and shocks, were very easy to do. No spring compressor needed and good access to bolts. If you are not...
  16. S

Hi I don’t know how long lowering springs last, though rust is going to weaken them. Cheers Steve
  17. S

I’m no expert but that sounds spot on for a JDM EP3! Hope it all works out for you. Cheers Steve
  18. S

Hi There is an improvement in body control and the ride is good. No bangs, crashes or body shake. I’m glad that I fitted original suspension!! I had to fit adjustable camber arms to the rear in order to attain “standard” geometry, with maximum allowed front camber. On the lumpy roads of...
  19. S

Hi I bought them from Cox Motor Parts, £156 each for fronts and £142 each for the rears. The top mounts were genuine parts from Tegiwa but can’t find the invoice for those. Fitted to standard springs and properly aligned it rides and handles great. The supplied shocks were manufactured by...
  20. S

2005 EP3 OBD2 Throttle Position Reading

Hello I've just tried my OBD2 reader, using Torque Pro and Car Scanner OBD2, to track a couple of my favourite blast routes in order to compare to my old Mini. I found no fault codes but notice that when doing sensor checks, my throttle position is 9% at idle and 90% when fully pressed...
  21. S

Hondata/CPLRacing reflash for EP3 ECU

Hi Mark I did search, your right! Tegiwa are not too far, also heard EFI in Runcorn do a good job. It'll be New Year before I get to thinking about this now. I'll ask J Cal and EFI what they think can be done with a standard car and K100. Better check the timing chain too, on 64k miles now...
  22. S

Hi Norv Thanks again for the help! I'm in Manchester so if I decide to look into it further, I think people around here use TDI North or Grinspeed? It looks to be a bigger investment so will have to think about it though. Thanks again. Steve
  23. S

Hi Norv Sorry about being lazy in the "search" department! You've told me all I need to know. Please can I ask, does getting the K100 and a re-map on a standard car get the same mid range improvements? To me, logic suggests that breathing mods would have most effect at higher rpm due to...
  24. S

Hi I have had my 2005 EP3 for 6 months now. Other than the sticky rear brake caliper, I'm going to change all 4 over Christmas, it is now in great order! It is on standard springs and shocks with adjusters to allow the frsu. The boom of the cat back is gone and a standard Honda...
  25. S

Revs needle jumping

Sounds like a problem with the idle control valve, on the bottom of the throttle body. If you do a google search you'll find a few Honda models suffer from this, the videos should let compare your symptoms to confirm. Hope that helps.
  26. S

EP3 winter wheels, are there any suitable Honda steels?

Hi They look like a decent option, I'll check reviews of the tyres at work over the weekend. Cheers Steve
  27. S

EP3 winter wheels, are there any suitable Honda steels?

I'm up in the hills outside Manchester so want to get some winter wheels and tyres fitted. All the standard alloys I can see on a famous auction site look to need a refurb before they could be used reliably. This makes them look a quite expensive option. There are sites that sell new steel...
  28. S

The front drop links are much shorter than the rears, so no. The rear drop links that I removed had ends that were at right angles to each other. The Meyle ones are in the 100 to 110 degrees to one another. I have since read that others have had the same issue, maybe there are some fake parts...
  29. S

EP3 Serpentine Belt Length

Thanks Flashy!
  30. S

EP3 Serpentine Belt Length

Hello I'd like to change the serpentine belt on my EP3. It's a facelift model with aircon. Different websites seem to list lengths between 1637mm and 1660mm, can anybody help me with the correct one? I've no idea what a good make would be, other than we have had no trouble with Gates on...
  31. S

I'm not happy with the fit of the Meyle HD rear drop links, the ends are not at the same angle to one another as standard parts, much more substantial though! The JDM rear anti roll bar sounds like a good, straightforward upgrade. I'll be interested to hear your feelings on how it improves the...
  32. S

Hi, no, standard bulbs. Other than to test that the lights work, they have not been used on anything other than sidelights anyway. The right light, same source and fitted at the same time, does not have this problem. On a positive note, the wheels have come back looking great in their original...
  33. S

I'll give that a try! The marks are on the inside of the lens and were not present, or not visible, when each light was fitted. As I say, the right side light from the same source and fitted at the same time does not have this issue.
  34. S

Yes, facelift headlights. The drivers side is fine, the passenger lights have both developed what look like paint runs on the inside of the outer lens/cover. There must be an underlying issue for me to have had 2 with the same problem?
  35. S

Thanks for your thoughts guys! I agree that German cars are not all that reliable but always proved easy to fix, unlike this EP3. My Mk1 and 2 16v Mk2 Golf GTI's served me well for over 20 years. Also had a Corrado VR6 and Mk3 GTI over that that time too. The EP3 was supposed to be a reliable...
  36. S

I think you're right. The other Honda cars I have experience of have been reliable to the point they never needed anything but regular servicing. Once I get the car in good order, it should be just as reliable as any other Honda car, it's only a Civic with an uprated drivetrain when all said and...
  37. S

Yes, the lights were bought on-line from a Honda dealer. The off side lights is fine but I'm just about to go through the hassle of getting the near side one replaced again! I have worked on my own cars for 40 years and have never experienced so many problems, each time I do something to this...
  38. S

I took my car to have the wheels refurbished. Got a call, just before I set off to collect it at the suggested time, saying that they couldn't get the paint off so they'd need it for another day! Not had the EP3 for long and have to say that nothing I have either worked on myself, or had others...
  39. S

Fitted the front shocks today, that went well. The ones supplied by Honda are Showa and have "Type-R" stamped into the tube bellow the steering arm. Both shocks removed had play in the sliders but the damping was not appreciably different than the new ones, Honda quality showing through 14 years...
  40. S

Thanks for the pointers. I took a look at the shocks fitted and they are Nissin Showa. They have the same part number on them as I get on the Lings parts catalogue, so assume they are original? I've ordered 4 shocks and front top mounts from Honda, thinking that original Showa shocks will be...
  41. S

Hello Sorry if this is a repeat question but I'm quite new to the EP3. Standard car on 14 year old, 63k, original shocks and one of the fronts has slight play in the slider. Thinking it's time for a shock refresh? I've done a couple of bushes and drop links so all of that is OK. I...
  42. S

Rain marks on side glass, EP3 Premier

Can you recommend a glass polish please?
  43. S

Hi Mike I think that you are right, but I don't have a polisher so have to work manual! For somebody who likes a shiny car, I don't know why I have never bought one? I'll look for some glass polish and buy a polisher if what is left of the marks continue to annoy me, now they have been...
  44. S

Well, I tried all of the straightforward chemical solutions! The marks did not come off with glass cleaner, vinegar, bathroom lime remover or any other household cleaner you could care to mention. Barry Scott failed miserably. Youface suggested that 0000 steel wool was the way to go? Well, I...
  45. S

EP3 Adjustable Rear Camber Arms

Thanks guys, Hardrace it is!
  46. S

Hi Mike It's a shame they're blue, I'd prefer black I think. The ones from Tegiwa look very similar to Hardrace, or Eibach? What do you think? Cheers Steve
  47. S

Hello Had my EP3 aligned the other day and I have a little over -2 degrees camber on each side at the rear. The car is totally standard as it stands. I have, at great expense, fitted new OEM rear arms but it has not changed the camber at all. The inner bushes did look in a bad way but...
  48. S

Hello The side glass on my EP3 Premier has rain marks, just like it is covered in rain drops. It is on both the door and rear quarter glass, on both sides of the car. The rear quarter's have factory tint and the door's have had tint added at some time. I would have thought that the tint...
  49. S

EP3 Replacing rear upper control arms and bushes?

Fitted the arms with no issues. The bushes were a different matter though. Try as I might, they would not move, probably the socket used to try and push them out was just a little too small outside diameter. The bushes in the arms were well past their best but the carrier bushes looked good so...
  50. S

EP3 Rear ARB drop links

Fitted the Meyle HD drop links today. First had to take a hacksaw to get them off, found it easier to chop the ends on the trailing arms, then remove the arb to saw the other ends! The Meyle drop links are a little different than standard items? On standard links the ends are at right...
  51. S

Oops Just ordered arms and bushes, no bolts. I'd better get some penetrating oil on there sharpish! Cheers
  52. S

Hello Just had the wheel alignment checked on my EP3. Other than reporting a little play in a rear ARB drop link and the steering wheel now being slightly off centre, I can see on the printout that both rear cambers are -2 degrees. As it happens, this is visible if you stand back and...
  53. S

EP3 Rear ARB drop links

Thanks Mike It's a self imposed rule I always follow, replace parts on both sides at the same time, when it comes to suspension and brakes! I'll take a look for the Meyle items. Cheers Steve
  54. S

EP3 Rear ARB drop links

Hello I need to replace one of my rear ARB drop links. Are the units from GSF ok, or is it better to buy genuine parts? Many Thanks
  55. S

My first weekend with my 62k Cosmic Grey Premier EP3. I first replaced the Magnex back box on the exhaust, with an OEM one. Then the AEM V2 air intake was replaced with a standard airbox. The car was then washed, clay barred and waxed. New spark plugs , air filter, oil and oil filter followed...
  56. S

EP3 Is there an online service guide/parts diagram available for the EP3?

Hi New to Civic Type-R ownership and wondered if there were parts diagrams and service manuals available online? Many Thanks Steve
  57. S

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll order a set of those then, with quality pads as no point skimping on them. Thanks again Steve
  58. S

Hello I'm about to change the front discs and pads on my EP3. I would like to fit ones with a coating so that the centres don't go rusty within weeks! I only use the car on the road so not after drilled or grooved. Does anybody know if any of the options from ECP or GSF are...
Back