• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

‘09 FN2 type R - LCD display unit flickers off

Hi. Before I post this I have asked this on this forum before but I have a couple of things to add.

I’ve only had my ‘09 FN2 Type R a couple of years and I’ve had a problem with my head unit lcd since (clock/ac etc). I was going to replace it this summer as I’ll be using the car more. There was something I wanted to run past you before I do.

The back light flickers on and off with vibrations. For the first time this weekend natural light caught the LCD in such a way while it was “off” that I could see all the characters actually are fine, it’s actually just the backlight that’s flickering off and on.

The light flickers on and off with vibrations. Sometimes it may stay on, other time bumps will cause it to flicker or knock it off completely for a short while. I always assumed it was the same issue described here. However for the first time this weekend natural light caught the LCD in such a way that I could see all the characters actually all the characters are fine, it’s actually just the backlight that’s flickering off and on.

Now if it makes a difference, ever since I’ve owned the car the rear illumination on the stereo that should come on when I turn my lights on doesn’t work. It maybe worked 2 or 3 times but rarely comes on. Im sure I read somewhere that the 2 can be related. However the rear illumination doesn’t flicker off and on like the LCD. I’m not bothered about fixing that to be honest as I only ever use my aux port.

Also I caught a pothole with a bit of jolt a while back and the LCD actually behaved for a good couple of hundred miles.

So with this in mind, is this one of the symptoms of the poor soldering or does it need replacing?
Is it even a problem with the LCD or is it a wire that’s broken?
Is it actually tied in to the stereo illumination in any way?
Finally if I need a new one, does anyone happen to have the part number for the Red version that’s on the type r?

Edit - if it helps anyone the part number is HR0367001

Last edited:
Back