• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

14 DAY CANCELLATION WARNING - sky insurance :(

A Warning to all on renewals if possible/pending sale of your cars or cancellations
In my paticular case my insurance is with sky and my finance premium first and the covernote is chaucer.
i wanted to cancel my insurance and sky said i am liable for all kinds of charges inc 25% of the policy and admin charges etc etc whatever a small print can find etc etc but said i have 14days to cancel if i not happy
Bearing in mind my insurance finance (PREMIUM FIRST)said that i was within my 14day start insurance cooling off period and the covernote underwrites (CHAUCER)said no prob there side "i only just a few days i was insurance payable and dont worry"
But to my horror i was told that its £150+ WITHIN MY 14DAYS cooling off period = skys charges etc etc and i was told on renewal and in my renewal WHICH I CANT SEE :( and i was led to believe would be after the 14days cooling off period
but when i spoke to the renewal team they led me to believe if i go outside the 14day period i would be liable - Boy was i wrong :(
I feel so stupid for 4 years i used this company - NEVER CLAIMED and they treat me like this i have only just got the Latest agreement in the post because my policy started 7th june!!
i will contact the ombusman when the patheic bill arrives along with my solicitor - i will keep you all posted
God to i feel a prat i recommened these !! PLEASE REMEMBER BEFORE YOU RENEW IF YOU SELLING YOUR CAR!!

Last edited by a moderator:
C U next tuesdays... i work in insurance dude, im an underwriter and i can tell you that is pretty harsh. Report it to the ombudsman - they usually favour clients greatly and i feel that in this case and you have sold the car and been a loyal customer for 4 years they could probably re-imburse you the money.

What you should do is tell them that your going to the ombudsman... might save you a bit of time as it might make them just re-imburse you. (For every financial induction performed by the ombudsman it costs the insurance company £500- thats whether theyre in the right or wrong)... so in this case it may just be a case of giving you your money rather than paying £500 to the ombudsman... let me know

I had thought that if cancelled in the 14 day cooling off period and no claim made, you should get it all back?, that being the point of distance selling regs and a 14 day cooling off period?

Me too but im monthly payments so no refund they wont money from me :(

I think someone on here read there toga and its saying they can charge from the outset not after 14days which i was led to believe :(

C U next tuesdays... i work in insurance dude, im an underwriter and i can tell you that is pretty harsh. Report it to the ombudsman - they usually favour clients greatly and i feel that in this case and you have sold the car and been a loyal customer for 4 years they could probably re-imburse you the money.

What you should do is tell them that your going to the ombudsman... might save you a bit of time as it might make them just re-imburse you. (For every financial induction performed by the ombudsman it costs the insurance company £500- thats whether theyre in the right or wrong)... so in this case it may just be a case of giving you your money rather than paying £500 to the ombudsman... let me know

Thanks frank,
I was set up on monthly direct debit which i cancelled straight away and havent even paid one payment yet :)
I will contact ombudsman tommorrow :)

Me too but im monthly payments so no refund they wont money from me :(

I think someone on here read there toga and its saying they can charge from the outset not after 14days which i was led to believe :(

Best bet would be to email their rep on here, or CTR0. They are quite active on the forums, I would imagine it shouldn't be hard to resolve.

Ah, learn something new everyday. Even though I work for a large insurer, :lol: .

The 14 Day Cooling off period for insurance is pointless because insurance companies are allowed to charge a ‘reasonable’ fee for admin charges even if you cancel within the statutory 14 day period.
You can dispute any fees if you think they are excessive and unlawful. Your insurer should have a complaints procedure for you to follow or if in doubt, contact the FSA.

FSA Handbook

From experience, you can normally get the cancellation fee waived. Saving face/reputation is often worth more than the £££ they could keep from the policy.

Click for more details.

This happened to me, it also took Sky two months to issue a refund, and even then they didn't issue as much as they said they would initially on the phone. All in, with credit card interest charges as the refund was so late, it cost me around £150 to be insured with them for 7 days.

Sky have let their standards slip. I'll never insure with them again.

Much better service with APlan. None of this "call you back in an hour, we're busy" b0llocks.

Hi,

as I've replied on another forum this has been posted on, it is very difficult to respond without knowing your details. Please PM these to me, either via here, ATROC or which ever other forums you have posted on.

It sounds a little peculiar to me. Is this a new policy or a renewal? Have you paid in one go or instalments, if instalments, how many have you paid?

It would be good if we could be allowed the opportunity to look into this and reply.

Thanks

Ollie
Sky Insurance​

Hi ollie

Yes ive pm'd you
Not sure you can help as your manager clive upset me and didnt help one bit so ive contacted the ombudsman so unless a suitable solution im with them, just feel a pratt because ive recomended these for years and this my return?:(

PLEASE REMEMBER BEFORE YOU RENEW IF YOU SELLING YOUR CAR!!

I think that is the crux of the argument, you cannot use thecooling off period in that way i.e. knowing full well when you take out thepolicy that you're going to cancel it using that method. By now posting that onthe internet and it’s been seen by the company(s) involved you’ve openedyourself to a world of pain. I don’t think you were being malicious to be fairto you, but a contract’s a contract. Good luck.

Ombudsman doesnt agree so will keep you all posted because i did state that i was led to believe if i cancelled after the 14days :) this what would apply and toda doesnt even state the FSA Guide line that are within the ICOBS 7.2.3 06/01/2008

Ok, I've had a look into this one. As far as I can see no payment has been made to us therefore no refund is due to us as we agreed to renew the policy upon your instruction, without taking a deposit. This appears to have been blown out of proportion a little after your conversation with our Customer Service Manager.

A Senior manager at sky contacted me today and said sorry for the mix up between the original manager and me, he said common sense said that im a loyal customer and now we have come to a agreement. i will say this apart from my moan and gripe about the cancellation sky insurance was the cheapest and the best for modded cars and if i wasnt selling i would use again.
Thanks guys for your help and advice on here

The ombudsman will cost them £500 to launch their investigation so i doubt they will refuse to re-imburse you £125 :p

I had thought that if cancelled in the 14 day cooling off period and no claim made, you should get it all back?, that being the point of distance selling regs and a 14 day cooling off period?

The 14 day cooling off period is different for every insurer in respect of charges. Some insurers may have a £0 cancellation fee, some may have a reduced cancellation fee within the 14 days.

It gets more complicated when you go through a broker like sky insurance as sky insurance will have thier own cancellation fees as will the company that underwriters the policy (in this case chaucer).

Remember, even if you cancel the policy within 14 days, you will still have to pay for the time on risk.....i.e. if you cancel on the 10th day you'll have 10 days worth of cove to pay for.

hmmm, im waiting for a call back as we speak, since wednesday evaning actually! I have sent two emails aswell.

Back