• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

1st 3rd 5th gear problem help please

Hi all ,
This is my first post new to the type r ep3 ,

I've had it 3 weeks now and so many problems,
But need help with this one

Got in the car this morning 2003 model 101,000 mile full Honda history,
Started the car put clutch down and was no 1st gear or 3rd or 5th but 2 .4.6.R all work !
Car was fine the night before ,I've checked the cable seem to be sliding nicely after disconnected each end .
When I re connected and try 1st it don't push the lever on the gear box all the way if you help it,it goes in easy and nicely it's like the cable is too short so guessing it hasn't streched!
But what has happened overnight I'm confused.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Also with engine off and clutch not presses it doesn't select 1 3 5 either but will by hand on gear box end .

Have you checked the gear stick end of the cables? Something could be stuck preventing the throw or it could have popped off the shifter arm, or the shifter arm has broken.

Yeah I've checked that nothing in the way,
When I disconnect cables and select gears gearbox end feels fine but once connected it's like the cables are 10mm to short to push into 1 3 and 5.

Is there any chance the engine and gearbox may off moved forward
Iv just ordered a new shifter and cables before a box off matches lol

There is like a counter balance weight (maybe wrong name) at the gearbox end that need to move smoothly and uninhibited and not fouling, is that moving OK?

crowds

Is there any chance the engine and box can move 10-20mm forward or is there a common fault with the cable ?
As it was fine the day before .

The gearbox could have moved if the gearbox mount has bought it.

Not usually issues with cables shrinking. It's normally something stuck on top of the gearbox blocking the cables or cables coming off the gear stick end or getting caught on something behind the gear gator.

Fixed it !!!!
What a relief the plastic part that holds the cable to the side off the shifter snapped
I drilled 2 holes diagonally and screwed it together feels great now

Back