• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 5.3 final drive too short for supercharger?

Hi all,

I currently have a Spoon 5.3 final drive in my EP3 and want boost. Will I have to pull it out and replace with a stock / lower final drive as it'll be too short and traction may suffer? I was aiming for 300bhp through a Rotrex topmount supercharger and the car is a weekend road toy so no crazy high power levels (I have driven a mates 500bhp turbo EP3 so know what they're like!).
Anyone else running a similar setup? Ta
EDIT - forgot to mention I fitted a Quaife ATB diff and new OEM clutch when I had the box open so this is why I'm reluctant to take off this box again.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I currently have a Spoon 5.3 final drive in my EP3 and want boost. Will I have to pull it out and replace with a stock / lower final drive as it'll be too short and traction may suffer? I was aiming for 300bhp through a Rotrex topmount supercharger and the car is a weekend road toy so no crazy high power levels (I have driven a mates 500bhp turbo EP3 so know what they're like!).
Anyone else running a similar setup? Ta
EDIT - forgot to mention I fitted a Quaife ATB diff and new OEM clutch when I had the box open so this is why I'm reluctant to take off this box again.
I've got a jrsc dc5 with 5.8 final drive.

5.8 is one of my favourite mods.

I've got a jrsc dc5 with 5.8 final drive.

5.8 is one of my favourite mods.

Mebz you’re from my hometown right? I can’t believe we haven’t crossed paths yet!
So you don’t have any traction issues or go through the gears too quick to take advantage of the torque from the charger?

Mebz you’re from my hometown right? I can’t believe we haven’t crossed paths yet!
So you don’t have any traction issues or go through the gears too quick to take advantage of the torque from the charger?
Accrington!

Torque from the charger, not sure what you mean .

I cant say I noticed a massive difference in traction with the different final drive, in the wet it will spin up in first but it would do that before as well.

I've got a couple of videos on Instagram that show how you go through the gears (mirby_1).

When the weather improves, I can take you out in it if you want.

Mebz sorry for the late reply man. Not logged in ages. That’s great to hear. Your car sounds well set up and must be epic to drive.
It’d be great to meet up one summer day when this rain clears up.

All the best mate

Back