• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

a genral modding question.

im in two minds,do i spend money modifying my 05 civic or do i wait and save the money to buy the new type R (if there any good which im sure they will be) when its released.Thats not my question but others views would be appreciated,what id like to ask the mod boys is what they done and how its affected their insurance.

Mod it and worry about the new Civic in 2007.

What do you want from your car...........faster.........better looking :?:

Have a look in the Garage feature, or members cars, it will depend on your budget and what you want, faster, handling, looks, or all three, you could easily spend £15k making it better.

mostly perfomance i think the car looks good as it is.If i mod id be getting things like lsd,induction kit,exhaust but if its going to cost loads more to insure every year i doubt il bother

I have found (at least with privilage) that the price hike for mods is in relation to the percentage increase of the mods. Under 10% for example no change. So I fitted a induction kit and exhaust for no increase (in premium). Of course these alone without a remap will give very little noticable change in performane in the real world. But they will sound cool. And of course you can replace em with the oem parts very easy and sell the parts for a few quid on the forums. A win win situation. Of course you can fit an LSD you will need to declare but again when I spoke to my insurers there was no increase. If I were you I would get an LSD, fast road set up/geometry check. A hondata K-Pro, exhaust and induction iether an AEM or GruppM. with similar mods Carl (N77), as shown in the new J Tuner magazine at the CTR group thrash got very good figures, sub 6 seconds to 60 and around 14 seconds 1/4 mile. Get the mag to see a few modding ideas.

The above would tie you over whilst the new 'R' comes out and will be very easy to sell, and take minimum effort (appart from the lsd) to remove. The LSD will, if not add value, help in a sale such is the benefits of having one.

G said:
I have found (at least with privilage) that the price hike for mods is in relation to the percentage increase of the mods. Under 10% for example no change. So I fitted a induction kit and exhaust for no increase (in premium). Of course these alone without a remap will give very little noticable change in performane in the real world. But they will sound cool. And of course you can replace em with the oem parts very easy and sell the parts for a few quid on the forums. A win win situation. Of course you can fit an LSD you will need to declare but again when I spoke to my insurers there was no increase. If I were you I would get an LSD, fast road set up/geometry check. A hondata K-Pro, exhaust and induction iether an AEM or GruppM. with similar mods Carl (N77), as shown in the new J Tuner magazine at the CTR group thrash got very good figures, sub 6 seconds to 60 and around 14 seconds 1/4 mile. Get the mag to see a few modding ideas.

The above would tie you over whilst the new 'R' comes out and will be very easy to sell, and take minimum effort (appart from the lsd) to remove. The LSD will, if not add value, help in a sale such is the benefits of having one.
top man,thanks mate :)

while im at it a few other things,if i mod it will void the warranty on the modded part so if i were selling an 05 in 07 id have to sell it pretty cheap because of the lack of warranty right? theres no chance that if i stripped it of the modded parts and place the standard ones back on that the warranty would still be valid? and what chances do you think there are of the current civic mods fitting the newer one?

bomberharris said:
while im at it a few other things,if i mod it will void the warranty on the modded part so if i were selling an 05 in 07 id have to sell it pretty cheap because of the lack of warranty right? theres no chance that if i stripped it of the modded parts and place the standard ones back on that the warranty would still be valid? and what chances do you think there are of the current civic mods fitting the newer one?

What Honda don't know won't hurt them :wink:

Whatever part of the vehicle you mod can only affect that part of the warranty. For example if you was to add an induction kit and you had a rusty exhaust, unless honda can proove it was caused by the kit then they have to repair it.

If on the other hand your induction kit caused problems with your engine (which it won't if you buy a reputable brand and don't mess up the fitting) then Honda will have a case. But all you would have to do then is to put the stock air box on and then take it to Honda. They won't be able to proove a thing.

As far as depreciation is concerned, some buyers will be put of if the vehicle has been previously modified from standard - however in the hot Hatch sector modification is a big game, so not many will actually be put off. In a short word it will not affect the calue of your car.

Back