• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Any known issues with Alpine 9850Ri?

Hi,

does anyone own this head unit ? and have you had any issues with it ?
I finally bought my Alpine 9850ri which has ipod 'full-speed' and successfully installed it on Thursday. However, when using the iPod after about 15mins or so, the head unit displays ERROR-01. Which in the manual is a 'communications' error. I have a 3G iPod (15GB). So I plugged in the mrs iPod mini, which seemed to have no problems until today it done the same, ERROR-01!!! Has anyone seen this before ?

Also when i turn the head unit off to resolve the ERROR-01 message, the iPod mini has displayed 'OK TO DISCONNECT'. Even if i turn of the ipod, unplug it from the connector to the h/u and then plug it back in, it does the same again. So i couldn't use the ipod mini. I plugged back in my normal ipod and then it worked!! until i got back home and it said ERROR-01. So i've either got two dodgy ipods (a bit conincidental if you ask me), or i've got a faulty head unit. The only thing i can do is keep swap testing ipods, my mate has a nano, might try that!

p.s. the ipod cable is plugged in snuggly both ends, and like i say it can play for 15-20 minutes fine... so it can obviously communicate and work, but it's akin to crashing with this error-01, and turning off the headunit and ipod and switching it back on (rebooting) does not fix it!!! apparently i have to turn the ignition off!!! which isn't the best thing to do whilst driving i've heard!!! :roll:

HELP!!!

Sounds like a faulty unit, take it back to where you bought it from.

Funky said:
Sounds like a faulty unit, take it back to where you bought it from.
I was dreading that answer, it means i've gotta rip the centre console apart again!!! grrr....

i bought it from caraudiodirect, i've raised a support ticket with them... looks like i'll be sending it back.

:cry:

You shouldn't have to pull the dash apart, cant you just release it from its cage with the headunit release keys that came with it?

Funky said:
You shouldn't have to pull the dash apart, cant you just release it from its cage with the headunit release keys that came with it?

Just went through the packaging again, no key supplied, some screws and various bits in a little polythene bag, but definately no key!

Been out today with it, nearly 15 mins into playing, regardless of tracks or album, ERROR-01. What's interesting now is the ipod mini doesn't work with it at all now, just continuously see SEARCHING. I'm getting a bit annoyed now, and the packaging didn't have the security seal and clear sticker over the LCD as you would expect with a brand new unit (just an observation, i'm not suggesting it isn't brand new - It looked perfectly packed and immaculate), i hope to get it sorted out this week.

I noticed if i turn the head unit off for 5 minutes, and then turn back on things seem to recover and interestingly enough the ipod continues playing from the part of the track it died in!!!

:cry:

Its an Alpine, its dosnt have 'keys'

just remove the surround and lift the lugs either side to the centre and pull out

Black R said:
Its an Alpine, its dosnt have 'keys'

just remove the surround and lift the lugs either side to the centre and pull out

I'll give that a try... don't fancy going through all that kafuffle taking the console apart...

I raised a support ticket with CarAudioDirect, not having a response this morning i called them in the afternoon. They're waiting back from Alpine for an answer ? (apparently). I phoned Alpine, they're closed between 1p - 2pm, which is obviously my lunch break.

I have a bad feeling already..

I think you put the volume up to loud and broke the Flux doubry whatsit smurker capacitor mabob.

Serious... I read that somewhere :twisted:

Kartdemon do you work for CarAudioDirect ? your response bears an uncanny resemblance to the gobbldigook i received.

Phone up Alpine "all our agents are currently busy"... left name and number, what's the bet they don't call back. Checking CarAudio T&C's they have a 7 day no quibble, that's provide they get back to me before then! i'm not enduring the inconvenience of logging a faulty unit, they can take it back and log it with alpine, i'll have a full refund or a replacement !! :|

We'll see how it pans out, not very forthcoming at present.

Alpine got back to me, guy knows what he's talking about, which is a refreshing change. Options are as follows:

1. Factory Reset H/U via pin slot
2. factory reset IPOD (lose MP3s).

If that does not resolve it, swap test Cable, he will send me a replacement. Failing all that the unit needs to be sent back to Alpine for an authorised repair. I get the feeling i've been flogged a returned one and i have to go through the rigmorole of getting it repaired.

I updated CarAudioDirect and told them that i will follow through the suggestions, however i am mindful that the time this takes up is obviously going to take me out of my 7 day pledge guarantee where i can return the product if i don't like it.

So option is, full refund or replacement unit.

I'll update them both tomorrow and see what happens.

yup, car audio direct sent me a replacement unit which works fine now!

word of caution - lcd screen is hardly visible in daylight, due to the angle and it being lcd and not dot matrix jobby. other than that it's a clean unit, looks nice with volume knob locked flush with the unit - plus a black fasia to finish it off ;)

Good to hear :)
Yes I have read about the poor display, will try and have ha look at one in the flesh to see if I can live with it.

Back