• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Are CTR Front Fogs Really Useless Or Is It Just Mine?????

Hi all,

Just tried using my dealer fitted front fogs today as it has been foggy as 'ell out in derbyshire and realised they're bloody useless!!!!!

Switched them on while we driving and couldn't tell they were even on..... Turns out that they are on but only illuminate about 2 to 4 feet in front of the car so you can't get any benefit from them at all!!!!! And i only found this out by leaning forward as far as i could, (nose about a cm from the windscreen!!!), and looking out over the bonnet.

Now the only reason we had them fitted to the car when we bought it last month was cos of the amount of motorway driving i do to get to/from work and because i work in a 24/7 office i often drive in very foggy conditions very early in the morning & very late at night..... There have been times in the past when drivin' my car or the missus' old car that i have had to resort to using just sidelights and front fogs when it's been a real pea-souper but with the CTR fogs as they are now i'd be buggered......

Now is it that the dealer has fitted them / alligned them incorrectly or is it that they are just a total waste of £249 on a CTR? They do seem very dirty yellow when compared to the headlights so my other line of thinking is that they are maybe wired up wrong.... or may have a wiring fault as they just don't seem very bright at all.

So anyways back to the original question do others who have front fogs fitted know if they actually illuminate anything further than around 2 to 4 feet in front of the car???

Sorry for the rant

Cheers

Dave.

I was always under the impression fogs are there to light up the road directly infront of the car and the sides so you can see the side of the roads better, they aren't driving lamps which add to the headlights.

HASNIC said:
I was always under the impression fogs are there to light up the road directly infront of the car and the sides so you can see the side of the roads better, they are driving lamps which add to the headlights.

Yeah but as mine are at the minute when looking from the driving position you cannot tell the differance at all, sideways or up front, when they are switched on/off...... Just wondered if it was querk of the CTR one's cos when parked next to my VW which has factory fitted fogs the differance is VERY VERY noticable.

Cheers

Dave.

waveydavey said:
HASNIC said:
I was always under the impression fogs are there to light up the road directly infront of the car and the sides so you can see the side of the roads better, they aren't driving lamps which add to the headlights.

Yeah but as mine are at the minute when looking from the driving position you cannot tell the differance at all, sideways or up front, when they are switched on/off...... Just wondered if it was querk of the CTR one's cos when parked next to my VW which has factory fitted fogs the differance is VERY VERY noticable.

Cheers

Dave.

If you can't tell that they are on, they i would get them checked then :wink:

Cheers for the info chaps........ I was 99.9% certain i was gonna have to get them checked out but didn't want to make a prat of myself at the stealers if they were like it on all CTR's etc..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers

Dave.

used mine today and they worked a treat! :D

They are bloody powerfull, as Nick says they light up the side of the road and just in front.

I would get em checked out mate.

Just done another check of them and i think i will get 'em checked out by the dealer when possible. They still seem to be giving off a dull glow as though they aren't working to their full potential...... They do seem a little better in total darkness, rather than earlier when it wasn't totally dark, but even now as i sat in the drivers seat looking forward i could only see about a foot or so of light beyond the bottom of the windscreen....... I just have it in the back of my mind that it's maybe the drivin' position of the CTR compared to my car / the old car which had a normal length bonnet then the fogs on the front of that compared to the shorter more sloped civic bonnet........ i.e. in the other cars you could see the bonnet when driving but in the CTR you can't......

Cheers again anyway guys i'm gonna get the dealer to just check 'em out over the next few weeks when i get a chance.

Cheers

Dave.

as said, they are not driving lights.
The fogs just light up the sides of hte road and a tiny bit in front.
If you need more light for driving then you could get some aftermarket driving lamps and make your own rally type light conversion at the front :wink:
luckily i have quite a bit of light already due to my xenons, but i guess you're not so lucky :cry:

superbully said:
as said, they are not driving lights.
The fogs just light up the sides of hte road and a tiny bit in front.
If you need more light for driving then you could get some aftermarket driving lamps and make your own rally type light conversion at the front :wink:
luckily i have quite a bit of light already due to my xenons, but i guess you're not so lucky :cry:

I know they're not supposed to light up vast expanses of road..... And also that they are not meant as driving lights. But my original concern was that they just didn't seem to light up any section of road, (ahead or sideways), that could actually be seen from the driving position. I have been driving cars with front fogs for the last 12 years i was just concerned at how less they light up the road compared to my other car's fogs and also my past car's etc....... In my experiance as mentioned above when driving down the M18 at 1130pm in thick fog, (so thick my top speed on the whole motorway was 30MPH!!!), i had resorted to using sidelights and front fogs only without the dip beam lights on at all, and i was safely able to see much better than with the dips on. When i tried the same yesterday i couldn't even tell the fogs were even switched on.

As for the xenons..... Our other car has them and was the one i was driving the night mentioned above when i turned them off. (Factory fitted xenons & front fogs on a VW Polo GTi).

Please don't take this as a rant i am just trying to explain more clearly the reasoning / purpose of my original post, which was to find out if it was a known / common prob or if mine were faulty.

Cheers

Dave.

Back