• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Audio advice

Hi guys,

so so I have replaced my speakers/head unit with aftermarket brands, the sound produced is pretty much on par with stock.

the head unit is a Alpine 195bt 50w x 4 so is more powerful than stock, the speakers are fairly powerful with a rms of 60-65. Peak 200+w

Does this mean mean my head unit is underpowering the speakers producing distortion as a result?

any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Aftermarket speakers will almost always need an external amplifier to get the most out of them

Sent from my SM-G130HN using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response, due to the high RMS of the speakers I thought this may be the case.

Do I simply connect a external amplifier to the back of the headunit with the power cable running from battery? Or does it involve separately connecting each speaker to the amp?

Separate amp with remote connection from the HU and power cable from the battery.

So I am going to invest in a amp so the sound improves, I'm not interest in a sub woofer, do I need to get a 2 or 4 channel version? Also if I get a small one can it be mounted at the front of car?

Whilst all the above regarding amps is true, there's no reason why a modern head unit & aftermarket speakers can't be great on their own. The poor sound quality is due to the door itself & the general tinnyness of its construction.
Invest in some dynamat sound deadening & properly applied should improve the bass response & overall sound hugely.
Lastly check the polarity of the speaker terminals is correct & matched both sides. You can't always trust the manufacturers labels, therefore actually test the sound switching terminals over, you'll hear one method sound far better than the other.

Whilst all the above regarding amps is true, there's no reason why a modern head unit & aftermarket speakers can't be great on their own. The poor sound quality is due to the door itself & the general tinnyness of its construction.
Invest in some dynamat sound deadening & properly applied should improve the bass response & overall sound hugely.
Lastly check the polarity of the speaker terminals is correct & matched both sides. You can't always trust the manufacturers labels, therefore actually test the sound switching terminals over, you'll hear one method sound far better than the other.

Sorry but that isn't strictly true. Unless you are ticking an upgraded audio option, the speakers used by car manufacturers are never ever going to be decent. They are simply there to provide a basic level of sound.

Yeah, you have quoted me as saying decent aftermarket speakers - by which I would refer to 2/3way design, large magnets, quality cone construction & leading brand name from the likes of Alpine. Pioneer, JL etc (polk, rainbow if you have deep pockets)

For reference my EK had factory paper coned 12watt Pioneers in the doors with a factory fit Pioneer tape deck circa 1998. It sounded far better than my standard EP3 speakers ever could.

Back