• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Basic sound system upgrades

I've got en EP3 Civic, and I've put an aftermarket head unit in (can't remember the model right now). The unit's designed as a base for a big ICE system, so has a rubbish built in amp. That's causing the unit to clip a lot of the sound, cutting bass and distorting treble.
I don't fancy buying a new unit, but if what i've got in mind isn't an option I may have to. Is there anywhere in the front of the car where I can install a small amp just to boost the power to the speakers? Is that going to cause any problems? Should I just buy a unit with a better amp?!

Thanks guys

If you have got rear tints (rear half & boot) then you could always do what I did and have a good set of 6" x 9"'s fitted. I was going to have them under mounted in the parcel shelf but due to the tints I just had them mounted on top of the shelf. You cant even see them, and sound is much better. All I'm using is an aftermarket head unit, std speakers at front and 6" x 9"'s at the back. If I get round to it I may even put a set of uprated front speakers in with a tweeter in the wing mirror mounts. Hope this helps.

You can get amps underneath front seats ok. Obviously you need to watch the size, the smaller the better and less chance of a rear passenger standing on one when getting out.

I've got a small Alpine MRP-T220 two channel amp underneath the passenger seat for the front speakers, and an Alpine MRP-T500 under the drivers seat for the sub.

the standard speakers are rank rotten in an ep3.

i see no point in putting an amp in if you have standard speakers.

a cheap set of front components and rear 2 or 3 way speakers will give better results than an amp to **** speakers mate.

under the seat is the best place for an amp in an ep3.

I'll look to install under the seats then, thanks guys. Don't really fancy putting 6x9's in though, i'd like to keep it looking as standard as possible, and I don't want the sound to be coming from behnd me, you know?

Is it a nightmare changing the components? Looks like the cards will have to come out, and I hate breaking those stupid little clips!

the door cards are easy to take off, the only clips that you have to be carefull of breackig are the ones on the hinge side of the card.

there will be guides within the forum how-to section as to getting them off.

Back