• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bedding in brakes. Steady or Heavy?

Fitted my Brembo discs today and Ns400 pads. just been down the road and back to make sure everything works as it should. tomorrow i can either drive steady on the way to work or have plenty of quiet roads to Bed in.

Ive done loads of reading up, pages after pages. but there isn't a straight forward answer that i can find.

Some sites say steady driving for up to 500 miles ( varied on some sites 300-1000 ) and some sites say its important to bed brakes in hard straight away.
10 x 60mph to 10mph stops without stopping and allow to cool afterwards. again this varied in speeds and amount of times it should be done.

Ive always just drove the car steady for a while to be honest and never had issues, same time I've always used OEM parts.

What would your recommendation be for this Set up/ Combo.

Thank you

Main issues arrive when stopping hard from higher speeds & not releasing the brakes trapping heat in the disc/pad contact area. Scrub em in on the roads for a week then go!

Thank you for the reply, don't fully understand the last sentence though sorry. Scrub them in?

Yeah Agree holding hot brakes on isn't a good idea. Have always been cautious of this on Spirited Runs.

Was there no bedding in procedure with the pads?

Performance pads I've had before (ferodo) came with instructions for a procedure of hard stops varying in speed similar to what you described.

No I didn't see any if I'm honest.

I opted for the harder bed in procedure. 8-10, 55-60mph to 20-25mph stops and drove on to let the brakes cool. Started to fade towards the last time so I new they were Hot.

been out this morning and there feeling sharp so looks like it's work and done no harm.

Don't overheat new discs as a general rule. Metal gets harder after several heat cycles. This is the cause of many warped newly fitted discs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Some ironic contradiction though as at least 2 of the causes they list (Figs 2 and 3) match the dictionary definition of warping - to distort or become out of shape by the action of heat. #-o

I've always bedded in brake hard whether they're OEM or high performance.
As for the disc warping. Many people (especially those who track their cars) mistake 'dirty' discs with warped discs. Pad deposits happens when you overheat pads that have a carbon and iron content. Excessive heat turns the deposits into carbide. Stuff used to make drill bits so you can only imagine what it'll do to your discs. That's why it's best to use sintered pads or pads with a ceramic make up for track use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I always take it pretty easy on new brakes for the 1st 50 miles, using them progressively harder until the 100 mile point - where I start to give them some abuse to "heat cycle" the pads to get them biting hard and evenly. However I always give them plenty of time to cool down and I think it's this that has served me well.

I've only "warped" one set over my driving career and 34 cars (and that produced a vibration so bad that under heavy braking my vision went blurry). Not bad for someone known to be "the last of the late brakers". :)

Thanks for the reply lads. The brakes have felt great today so think it's done the trick.
Hopefully they will only get better

Always a nervous time slamming on new discs and pads but it works. I thought I had buggered mine after bedding them in, thankfully realized it was a cold wet day and it was just the abs kicking in

Back