• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Boot will not open

Ok, day 3 of EP3 ownership and the boot will not open, it's unlocked, but no amount of tugging on the release will lift it.
Any ideas? :(

Common fault. Lock the car with the fob, and push the handle in (towards the front end) with your hand, and unlock the car with the fob, this should do it. Might take a few attempts.

Is there a 'fix', it's not exactly convenient faffing about with the boot handle when you need it open....:(

Not that Im aware of. It never bothered me tbh. I suppose a bit of grease on the mechanism might help, but getting through the plastics in the boot is a ball ache.

As I usually do a full OCD check of doors/boot after I lock the car when I return to it, unlock and the boot needs the wiggle trick, not great.
Got hold of a new lock mech and handle so going to try and strip it down over the weekend.

Mine does the same, handle sticks outward after pulling it, I just push it back in straight after opening it, then it should shut and open no problem

Fixed it over the weekend, took the old handle off and the spring mech was very corroded, swapped this for a new one (well a newer one off a scrapper) and now it works like new. :)

Not too tricky, hardest bit is removing all the trim, and some of the clips WILL break, I'd got a new numberplate boot trim to fit anyway, but first remove the trim from the inside of the boot, this then gives access to the back of the number plate light trim and the handle, remove the trim. The 2 clips on the outside ends will put up the biggest fight if they are still fitted and will most likely break, and Honda will rob you of £5 for a new pair!
You can then replace the handle and refit all the trim. :)

My car also had this fault when I bought it. In my case a good soaking in WD40 sorted it.

Back