• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

BP Ulitimate Unleaded or Shell V power Unleaded

Just a quick poll as to which fuel people use in there fn2 type r's, standard or modified.
Also are their any benefits to having your car mapped on super once other mods have being put onto the car?

You'll make slightly more power on a Super unleaded as it is less prone to knock meaning the tuner can add a bit more cam angle during the tuning process. It depends on your build but on NA builds every bhp counts!

It's all down to a availability and overall affordability really though.

I've always used V-power on my mapped Hondas.

I'm getting it custom mapped in June at TDI north, currently running milltek non res cat back & hks rsk, so would it make abit of difference mapping on super or should I wait until I get the manifold & rrc inlet sorted then get it mapped again on super?

I use Shell V-Power, mainly because I do a fair share of motorway/ long distance driving and it returns better fuel economy.
I've tried using other brands of Super Unleaded and I get no where near the same mpg, infact the Tesco's stuff my engine loves to drink for fun.

Hi there

Personally I wouldn't use BP,on Subaru this fuel caused lots of problems...
I've always used like Tesco Momentum,which we are have mapped our EP3 which has run 382bhp or on the Subaru which has run 555.5bhp,this fuel has been great and in many cases we have better MPG on T99 than on V-power,although Shell V-Power is more consistent in therm of quality,but this is more down to the petrol station than company,we are run both and on both we are have similar results

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

I've being using the v power more often than not but currently the pump prices are £1.31 a litre round near me which I think is a p*** take. Just running a tank or normal unleaded through at the minute, come remap time ** have it mapped on v power sounds like that's the best bet, if I'm to map the car on super what would happen if I were to put standard unleaded in. Thanks for all the feedback lads.

I used to use V-Power until my local tesco started selling momentum.

Used to be a 50 mile round trip just to get to nearest shell garage.

I've being using the v power more often than not but currently the pump prices are £1.31 a litre round near me which I think is a p*** take. Just running a tank or normal unleaded through at the minute, come remap time ** have it mapped on v power sounds like that's the best bet, if I'm to map the car on super what would happen if I were to put standard unleaded in. Thanks for all the feedback lads.

I can't comment on how the good knock systems are on these ecu's, but it will knock/ detonate and can cause serious damage if repeated use occurs. That said the ecu will generally knock the timing back to reduce this detonation and will also kill the power.

Depends how aggressive the map is as well though.

I run Tesco 99. Main reason it's easy to buy, I get gift vouchers for Tesco through work and I also shop at Tesco so you get 2p of a litre here and there. I got good results mapping on it considering the modifications I had.
I sometimes use standard 95 unleaded if I'm doing a long journey and taking it easy. It's when you put the engine under heavy load you'll risk excessive knock and kill your engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like everybody has there own opinion when it comes to which fuel to use, i just run 2 full tanks of BP Ultimate through & only managed to get 220 miles out of it before it got to the last bar on the fuel gauge, 70% steady 30% v-Tec'ing. V power im getting around 250-260 out of a full tank which is slightly better & nobody ever has a bad word to say about this particular fuel. Weather its alot cheaper in different areas is another question as my pumps vary from £1.29 - £1.31 a litre for v power around near me which i think is steep. what does everybody else pay for V-Power?

Hi there

Personally I would choose Tesco Momentum,its usually cheapest fuel and give you very similar results like V-power in therm of power and MPG,although our cars(Subaru or EP3) preferred Tesco and car on Momentum has have smoother power delivery,with V-Power power delivery has been bit different in good way,I've check'd both fuels via det cans or via logs(I've logged on Syvecs knock reading and AFR/Lambda etc) and both have very similar characteristic

Yes fuel prices varies and its down to supply and demand,in London in some areas you can buy very cheap fuel,but in some areas where is only one fuel pump,normal fuel(95RON) can cost same money as most expensive V-Power,it really depends,I still remember when we are drove from Scotland and we are started to look on fuel and at one town,not sure where this has been,but somewhere around Leeds we are found Esso where normal 95RON has been sold for 1.45,when usually you can buy for £1.20 T99

And about the fuel millage,depends,we are managed on turbo conversion on EP3 with Syvecs around 330miles per tank,with K-PRO we are managed around 250-300miles...

And yes as above has been said,knock/det on Type R can cause serious damage,Knock control on Honda ECU is pretty good and should correct this,but you simply can expect when you put 95RON and car has been mapped on T99/V-Power ECU will correct this,yes ECU will correct this,but on det cans you will hear first probably big ping and then ECU will start to correct,due this if its only 95RON available use Octane Booster,if yours car have turbo or supercharger then I would stay off the boost until you will refill with correct fuel

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Someone the other day said shell vpower is 98RON and Tesco momentum is 99RON is this true?

Someone the other day said shell vpower is 98RON and Tesco momentum is 99RON is this true?

In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON (whereas V-Power's predecessor Shell Optimax was rated at 98 RON).[SUP][1][/SUP] There is one other 99 RON fuel available in the UK, namely Tesco MOMENTUM99.[SUP][2][/SUP]

Hi there

What I know Shell V-Power Nitro+ is 99RON and Tesco is too 99RON,difference is just Tesco have higher Ethanol content than Shell
Few years back few people have issue with Tesco Momentum,but we are using Tesco Momentum now around 2-3 years and we are never have issue with Tesco Momentum

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

What I know Shell V-Power Nitro+ is 99RON and Tesco is too 99RON,difference is just Tesco have higher Ethanol content than Shell
Few years back few people have issue with Tesco Momentum,but we are using Tesco Momentum now around 2-3 years and we are never have issue with Tesco Momentum

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Thanks for reply Jura also I have heard that Tesco momentum makes cars pop and bang more than shell and uncle of mine has a Scooby and I have noticed vpower doesn't give the car that burble and popping noise like momentum. I'm using v power at the minute all seems good ;)

It seems like everybody has there own opinion when it comes to which fuel to use, i just run 2 full tanks of BP Ultimate through & only managed to get 220 miles out of it before it got to the last bar on the fuel gauge, 70% steady 30% v-Tec'ing. V power im getting around 250-260 out of a full tank which is slightly better & nobody ever has a bad word to say about this particular fuel. Weather its alot cheaper in different areas is another question as my pumps vary from £1.29 - £1.31 a litre for v power around near me which i think is steep. what does everybody else pay for V-Power?

Cheapest I paid for Vpower is 1.12 at that time regular unleaded went down to 1.03 with shell now I'm paying 1.19 for vpower :)

Thanks for reply Jura also I have heard that Tesco momentum makes cars pop and bang more than shell and uncle of mine has a Scooby and I have noticed vpower doesn't give the car that burble and popping noise like momentum. I'm using v power at the minute all seems good ;)

Hi there

Personally we are started to use T99,due the V-Power is not always available around the UK and Tesco Momentum is available almost everywhere where is big Tesco with fuel pump.
On Subaru what we are tried V-Power and methanol mixture has been best,car has have very nice feel,how to say like wild horse with Tesco and Methanol mixture car has have smooth delivery,nothing extreme,but on RR difference has been around 5-10bhp on our wagon,we are used V-power only for drag strip and on track days,for day to day driving with Tesco MPG has been better and smoother delivery

Pops and bangs are awesome,but proper ALS is what I can recommend,just this will kill the turbo,headers or engine in no time,due this most of mappers mapping only mild ALS which is only for show off

I will later on post the Youtube clips of our old wagon and ALS how has been there,but on EP3 and Syvecs ALS has been crazy,I've never heard such ALS

Thanks,Jura

Back