• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Buying new tyres for the EP3

Hey guys,

looking to buy new tyres for my EP3 currently have Khumo Ecsta on them that are 215/45/17 but was thinking of getting uniroyal rainsport3's

but i was looking at the uniroyal and can get them in 225 or 215

I have rota torques on the car which are 7.5J so would I be able to get the 225 tyres for them or should I just stick with the 215 since that's what the khumos are?

I think 225 would be too wide mate, id just stick with the 215s - doubt it will make any difference.

Ive got the Rainsport 3s in 205 and they are great in this weather.

Might have to read up on this sort of thing as I have no idea what difference the aspect ratio makes... still new to cars had an ep2 prior to my EP3 and learned a little with that but not much hahaha

Thanks guys

Aspect ratio is the size of the sidewall, or the height of the tyre. It is measured as a percentage of the width, so a 40 aspect ratio is 40% of the width of the tyre.

So for a 205, you need 45% to create the correct tyre height. Increasing the tyre width to 215 means that the same 45% aspect ratio will result in a taller tyre and hence, larger diameter.

This is why 40 aspect ratio is used for 215 with tyres on the EP3, it gives a closer diameter to the OEM size at 205/45. The smaller sidewall also reduces body roll and increases steering feel and feedback.

Sidewall height of a 215/45 is closer to the standard tyre size(205/45) compared to the 215/40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New year, new tyres.... This summer my EP3 is only used in track. Last year only few track days and 215/45 front and rear, roll easily and the car is lowered. Would 225/45 be suitable? Any experience? "google" says that 225/45 is not suitable in rear, because of the camber. But in the front, everybody has different opinion. So only facts, thanks.

Rims are OEM Type-R, so 225 would fit.

If I were going for 225 I'd probably drop to a 40 profile so there's less sidewall to roll on.

I wouldn't really be able to say - I had already bought the 215/45 but only have 2 on at the moment, need the front 2 done. In regards to using them for track I couldn't tell you - more of a show and shine guy instead of track and rarely thrash the car about on the road as my journey to work is almost 90% Average speed cameras and slow moving traffic haha

Back