• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can you get a bung for Top Gear Jap Style Exhausts?

I've got a Ti straight cut Top Gear exhaust but i need to silence it slightly to take it around Donnington. Can i get a bung for it like you can get for Spoon exhausts?

I've been told about putting wire wool into it too but i'd rather not do that, i'd have to drill the rivets out and then put them back, its just hassle.

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

Neil

unless it has a hole on the bottom at the exit end of the back box, im afraid your out of luck.

colinjy said:
unless it has a hole on the bottom at the exit end of the back box, im afraid your out of luck.

What is that hole needed for? Just to lock the bung in place? Do you mean actually in the back box or just in the tip?

the hole in the tip is to hold the bung in place.

if it aint got one then it's ot designed to have one.

colinjy said:
Neily03 said:
You could just drill a hole in the tip though...

it's titanum :)

i wouldn't want to try adn get a straight hole in that

Why? If your only trying to drill through the tip of the tail pipe should be too hard with a new carbide drill bit... :?

N77_CEJ said:
http://www.thequartermile.co.uk/mytyper/exhaust2.jpg

Is it the same as that one :?:

I used to have one but there was never a hole in the tailpipe.

I would ring up Top Gear perhaps and ask them, they might be able to sort you out being its one of there exhausts :D

Carl

Similar but its straight cut not slash cut.

I emailed them and they said no-can-do, however the Guildford branch thats just opened said to measure it and give them a shout so i may see what they can do.

Someone on the CTRO forum thinks he has one that might fit too so i may still be in luck.

Cheers for your thoughts/advice guys, fingers crossed i can get one else my track day is over without even starting!

I managed to get it sorted in the end and drilling through the tip was a piece of piss.

I got given a make shift bung to start with which worked a treat, got me through a Donnington 98dba track day without a problem (loadsa cars got flagged on the day so i know they were checking). The make shift bung was just the tip of a motorbike exhaust turned the other way round... worked really well and for all intents and purposes looked exactly like a normal bung!!

While i was at the track day though i met someone who had a spare bung which i bought off him, just from ANO 4 inch exhaust. Obviously this was a proper bung so had the proper mid section to it which joined up to the backbox. This made my exhaust even quieter!!

I really can't believe how much of a difference both of the bungs made to my exhaust. Seriously, i had a static test at 6000 rpm and about 2 metres away from my zorst and it red 97dba without a bung. I got through a full day on Donnington with a bung in and didn't have any problems, it must have been well below 98dba even flat out!!

Obviously i don't wanna use a bung all the time but for track days with limits its ideal.

I don't have any pics at the moment but i'll try and sort one out in the next few days for ya. If it ever stops raining!!

Back