• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Civic Type R Ep3 Idle Concern.

Hi all, I started my Civic last night and the revs after a minute or two settled at 1000rpm which is normal but then about a minute later it started to rise to 1500rpm and then back down to 1000rpm and then back up to 1500rpm and then back down to 1000rpm. This was continuing for a couple of minutes with no change so I gave it a couple of revs to about 4000rpm (it was quite late) and when it settled back to 1000rpm it did it again. I then turned the engine off and restarted it again with no change.:confused: I have not driven it for quite a while now (at least two months) but I have been starting it from time to time. I have'nt tried it today yet as not long been back from work and wanted to get some feedback first. No engine management light has come on and I was a bit dubious about driving it until I got some of your opinions. It could be I just need to take it for a GOOD drive (I hope!).

Dirty idle control valve by the sounds of it. Take it out for a drive, let it warm up then give it a bout of right foot. That should clear it up. :)

I've got the same problem, read through the other posts on the forum, had the valve cleaned still same issues, gave it some 8k treatment still not solved it, now the garage is saying I might have to replace the idle control valve? any thoughts? should I have it replaced? help would be appreciated!
OP: Any luck mate?

If you've tried cleaning the ICV, don't have the EPS light on or have any fault codes then quite possibly.

It might be worth looking for a second hand throttle body off ebay, ICV would more than likely come with it. Will probably end up cheaper and if swapping the throttle body doesn't do the trick, you know it isn't that and you can put the throttle body back on ebay and recoup your cash.

Hi, I gave my CTR the 8000 rpm treatment and cleaned it but it had no effect so I got it replaced new from my local Honda dealer and it cost £313 which was a little over £200 for the part and the rest was a more or less half split between VAT and labour. It only took them about 30 - 40 mins to do. The Idle Control Valve is part of the Throttle Body and is an alloy thus corrodes after a while especially if the car has been stood for a while. Mine had been and that was the first question they asked me when I called Honda. Hope you get it sorted fella.

thanks for getting back to me, the idle is the least of my worries at the moment, this drunk woman just crashed into the back of my car while I was stationary at a zebra crossing! 40 mph! and I spent like £500 on the car a day earlier and was about to buy the part from honda too! im gutted!

Thats devastating, whats happening with that then is her insurance shelling out or will they not because she was drunk? 40mph sounds like a complete write off :(

your not wrong there! it's been written off and shes admitted liability and I havent told the police she was drunk, as I didnt want to complicate matters, so yeah ive been forced out of the ctr scene! I got more for it then I would have if I sold but the sentimental value plus money spent is irreplacable. my advise is if your at a zebra crossing on a roundabout always have your handbrake on because my car nearly ran over a pedestrian because of the impact! oh well Audi a4 it is!

Ouch, that's not good. Surely her being drunk should have no bearing on any claim as a result of the accident? Or does it fall into the same category as if you were hit by an uninsured driver?

It usually causes problems in terms of diminished responsibility as she may say that she was under the influence during the accident and the fact that she admitted fault was not true and she might misconstrue certain events and because I didnt want her causing too much trouble I said to her that I know shes drunk but I wont tell the police aslong as she tells the truth as to what happened to her insurer and doesnt cause an issue. in most cases even if the driver is drunk it does not effect the claim of the victim even if they're 3rd party. I did however make sure she got a taxi home, she also had a very young child in the back who was very shaken up! im in two minds as to which car i should now buy! got around the region of 15k to spend, was looking at this > http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3429177.htm

its quite a step away but let me know what you guys think

well atleast the insurance havent pulled your eyeballs out, ive never had to deal with them myself been lucky so far (touch wood) it is a shame though did they not give you a chance to buy your car back, a few of my mates have made a mint stripping their broken cars and selling the bits on ebay and forums etc, good choice though i think if i was to get rid of my ctr ide go for abit comfort, audi a4 or bmw 5 series

It usually causes problems in terms of diminished responsibility as she may say that she was under the influence during the accident and the fact that she admitted fault was not true and she might misconstrue certain events and because I didnt want her causing too much trouble I said to her that I know shes drunk but I wont tell the police aslong as she tells the truth as to what happened to her insurer and doesnt cause an issue. in most cases even if the driver is drunk it does not effect the claim of the victim even if they're 3rd party. I did however make sure she got a taxi home, she also had a very young child in the back who was very shaken up! im in two minds as to which car i should now buy! got around the region of 15k to spend, was looking at this > http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3429177.htm

its quite a step away but let me know what you guys think

Okay, not being funny but I would have called the Police. First of all, drink driving is bad enough (especially if you can tell straight away that she was drunk) but what makes matters worse is the fact she had her child in the car.

If the Police were on scene then there would be no issues in terms of diminished responsibility, she went into the back of you, end of.

Back