• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Civic Type R = Immense motoring!

I have just got home from a pals house, but do you ever get that when the car just feels perfect and goes like a rocket? Mine is like this tonight! I've had it over 5 months now and I just love the thing. Such fun to drive. I thrashed the **** out of it on the way over (once warm of course) and you stop at some lights and she just ticks over silently like a 1.1 Clio, I love the contrast and perfect mix of maniacy and practicality. Excellent car I'm very glad I got one :) cleaned her tonight too and with the fresh headlights it just looks awesome. I'm definitely a honda convert.

That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the things that drew me to the Type R was the Jekyll and Hyde attitude.

Great cars.

Have that on this more than any other car iv owned, the past few nights/days have been slightly warmer and it's almost felt a bit off/slower but tonight the temperature has dropped again with a bit of moisture and it feels to fly! Something to be said for that nice cold air, dreading summer :( less power haha

Must admit, mine has felt that bit better the last week or so, almost as if the engine has loosened up a bit and gained a bit more power.

Foggy night the other night, mine was pulling like a train I loved it! :D

this thread has got me thinking about why some days they pull harder than others.
Is it down to the highly tuned NA nature of them which is affected more by atmospheric influences than force induction?

When the air is cooler and especially with the fog it just makes it pull better as cooler air = better performance. N/a or turbo'd engine will have the same benefit with such conditions. Honestly mine was tearing the other night I loved it!

cheers Lewis, only asked as my wifes vxr never seemed any different, no matter what the weather.
mind you, I never really used it that much.

I must admit I notice it more in the type r than any other car I've had. Maybe you notice it less on a turbo due to the forced induction and intercooler already doing a good job of cooling the intake air??? Not sure though.

Air going through a turbo will be heated by said turbo, rendering the atmospheric conditions largely irrelevant.

It's why big turbo cars aren't fussed about cold air intakes, still making the same figures with a mushroom filter in the bay.

Air going through a turbo will be heated by said turbo, rendering the atmospheric conditions largely irrelevant.

It's why big turbo cars aren't fussed about cold air intakes, still making the same figures with a mushroom filter in the bay.

I see your point, but surely cooler air in will still affect performance slightly?

10E7E5A5-EE43-4188-8505-3928BA623737_zpsp2xh6xup.jpg
On turbos that get this hot, I'd argue not. Perhaps at lower down the rev range. Definitely a minuscule amount though.

Cool air is denser, it takes up less space, meaning you can fit more in the cylinder, which means more fuel, which means more bang. Volumetric Efficiency

Air density plays a massive part in power. Pikes Peaks cars can loose something like 30% power by the time they reach the top. With many running 1000bhp, thats 300 bhp lost just because the air is less dense!

If density and temperature didnt matter, intercoolers, chargecoolers, spray misters etc wouldnt be needed.

Out of all the hot hatches I have owned ( a few I'm showing my age ) I rate the type-r as one of the best, have owned axgt's, golf gti, 205's, r5 gtt, clio 1.8 16v blah blah but as a true last of the line proper hot hatch with no turbo just a great n/a engine + gearbox plus reliability I do believe the civic type-r to be one of the best out of all the fast hatches I have owned.. its quick, practical, good on fuel and when driven sensibly just like any other 2.0 hatch out there :)

One of the last proper hot hatches... modern hatches are now all gizmos and turbos :(

have to agree with gtbloke I've had many golf gti s and a s3 but the civic type r ep3 is just in a class of its own feels so responsive handling kills the golf off ok it doesn't have a turbo but it's not ment to it a proper hot hatch and more reliable than most hatches on the road now so yea I've had my little say on the ctr and yes I'm getting a fn2 next lol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My car seems a bit back to front. On the cold days it just feels rather rough around the edges. Even when fully warmed up, the engine sounds noisier, the gear changes aren't as smooth etc, even down to the amount of tyre noise i get. Now its warming up a bit it feels alive! Engine is silky smooth and quieter, gear changes are seamless and, it feels punchier and strangely it seems to make less tyre noise too. Properly back to front!

Last edited by a moderator:
On my EP3 I've noticed a cold morning after leaving it a while I sometimes can't get it to fully engage the gear then it sounds like the synchros are spinning on their bearing. Goes away after a little while.

That said, bouncing of what someone else mentioned. I absolutely love the Jekyll and Hyde feeling from this car. Dance about town in low revs barely putting your foot into it, but got some welly when you need it. Loving it. Fourth month so far with it and have next to no complaints. Will be keeping this for as long as I can.

Back