• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

colour has changed in coolant

I was checking my coolant last night and its like an orange colour its not normally like this. Isit because of the cold? I dipped a bit of tissue in and it comes out blue. I changed the radiator six months ago and put in Honda type 2 coolant any ideas what's up with this????

Sounds like corrosion. Buy a coolant tester and test the fluid. How is the levels your oil levels? Any gunk on the oil cap or in the coolant system? Is the bottle going murky and cloudy?

Sounds like corrosion. Buy a coolant tester and test the fluid. How is the levels your oil levels? Any gunk on the oil cap or in the coolant system? Is the bottle going murky and cloudy?

Thanks for getting back mate. The oil levels are on max on dip stick after few wipes. The oil filler cap is clean the coolant in the bottle is normal and looks blue, is a bit dirty from outside ***. The radiator has looked like this ever since its changed. I had a full coolant flush and put new radiator in January. The coolant was pink before and when mechanic took old radiator out he drained all coolant out. He filled it in with Honda type 2 coolant its ready mix coolant so didn't require water. The colour has looked like that ever since its been changed just not noticed it. Last night I had a torch and noticed it. Could it be old pink coolant that has mixed up, should I get it drained and get new coolant in???? Hope its nothing serious cheers.

Was the radiator new or 2nd hand? If your levels are OK and temps are fine I wouldn't worry tbh. If you really wanted piece of mind, do a rad flush and fresh coolant.

Was the radiator new or 2nd hand? If your levels are OK and temps are fine I wouldn't worry tbh. If you really wanted piece of mind, do a rad flush and fresh coolant.

New radiator mate. The mechanic said its a bit of old coolant that has mixed up but I wanted to ask someone on here if someone has experienced this problem before. I just might as well do a full system flush and get new type 2 coolant. But what will the problem be if levels drop?

Factory coolant is green isn't it? Do a rad flush and flush deionized water through then fill with type 2. If your levels are dropping it's using/leaking coolant.

Factory coolant is green isn't it? Do a rad flush and flush deionized water through then fill with type 2. If your levels are dropping it's using/leaking coolant.

No idea mate I got some type 2 coolant from my local dealer and when it was changed its now blue probably mixed in with old coolant will have to do a complete flush and get new coolant put in and see if it turns green or not. Infact I will check the type 2 coolant in bottle to see what colour itis.

The type 2 is definitely blue but the stuff they put in at the factory is green. Or at least it's green when it's old. Sounds like someone's put G12 coolant in yours at some point and that's what's mixed with the type 2. I wouldn't worry about it but my OCD would make me change it and flush it so it's all blue. :D

The type 2 is definitely blue but the stuff they put in at the factory is green. Or at least it's green when it's old. Sounds like someone's put G12 coolant in yours at some point and that's what's mixed with the type 2. I wouldn't worry about it but my OCD would make me change it and flush it so it's all blue. :D

That's right full flush and replace with type 2 and its done thanks for advice mate.

This orange colour is still there after a full flush with type 2 coolant levels are ok and had a coolant test a while back thought I update you and let you know thanks for help anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back