• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Correct oil level on FN2

Hi, whats correct oil level on dipstick and when do you check hot or cold??i did oil change yesterday, i drained old oil, and put in 4.5 litres , when the cars cold the level is upto the teiwst on dipstick maybe 5mm over top dot. Should i drain some? Like literally loosen bolt and pull it for 1-2 seconds ? I think that should be enough time to remove 200 ml at least

The max mark is the top hole. You'd be OK with a couple of mm over, but not much more.

If the washer on your sump plug can stand it, it would be worth draining a bit out.

Yes i'll do that tonight, Loxy what do you mean about washer? I didnt change it yesterday but it seems fine. When should it be on max mark? Cold or hot?

Your sump plug should have a crush washer on it. It's good practice to change it when you do an oil change.

Warm engine and let it rest for 5-10 minutes on a level surface for the oil to drain back into the sump.

Ah ok, i did actually get a new washer from halfords but it didnt fit, i just cleaned sump bolt and put it back in washer seemed ok, i'll take car for a drive and leave it parked for 5 mins and see where its at, i always thought that when the engine was warm oil is everywhere in engine and most comes to sump straight away some slowly comes back to sump, but i always thought when hot the oil would show less on dipstick and then cold show more be ause its all settled

Put it this way, is your engine warm when you are driving it? :lol:

You want the level to be right when it is at operating temperature.

When the oil gets warm it gets thinner, it only takes 5-10 minutes for the vast majority of it to get back into the sump after you stop the engine.

No mate mine runs very cool running on nitro lol no your right mate makes sense i hope i dont loose too much oil when pulling plug out, im not putting it back in engine like ive heard people do lol

Does the FN2 take less oil than the EP3. I usually put in at least 4.7l when doing a oil and filter change, sometimes more.

Sorted now , after 3-4 mins after switching off car, the oil is .5-1mm over top dot, i can guess if left 10 minutes plus it probably go up few mm more, i drained abit of oil and probably put nearly just as much in, i was having alot of problems reading dipstick, so i used talcolm powder it makes it soooo easy to read accurately (as accurate as you can get with dipstick) i drained waste oil into white container it was clean, except noticed some small black dust type things maybe carbon or something? It didnt look like grit because i just did oil change i even put new oil and filter drove around for 20mins and drained that and put in new oil and filter so dont know maybe some dirt at bottom of sump?

Back