• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR Smoking

Rcb

My mate bought a 2004 CTR last week, he loves it but he's noticed now twice when going round corners under hard acceleration some smoke come out the exhaust in his rear view mirror, he only gets it going round corners :? he's wondering if it needs a trip back to Honda or not?

You sure it's exhaust smoke & not tyre?

Would have to be giving it plenty of beans to get tyre smoke I'd of thought.

Has he checked to see if it's using oil?

It's definitely 100% coming from the exhaust, it's using a fair bit of oil but not too much, especially after what some people's CTRs use on here!

It's weird how it only happens under hard acceleration going round corners though :?

Rcb said:
It's definitely 100% coming from the exhaust, it's using a fair bit of oil but not too much, especially after what some people's CTRs use on here!

It's weird how it only happens under hard acceleration going round corners though :?

Could it not be oil starvation & showing signs?

Could be oil surge, oil being forced back in through the intake and being burnt i guess?

Basically if he's giving it the beans in a corner (left handers are the main problem with the K20) then there is a chance that not enough oil is at the pick up in the sump. Therefore it can surge oil when it's back at the pickup and excess oil is burnt off.

If it's a standard CTR, it's doing it quite often and the oil is topped up then definatly a dealer visit.

It's standard bar the usual mods, ie induction + exhaust..

What can he say then, he can hardly go "take it round a corner quickly and it will smoke" :?

Rcb said:
It's standard bar the usual mods, ie induction + exhaust..

What can he say then, he can hardly go "take it round a corner quickly and it will smoke" :?

Has it been KPro'd?

50p says its overfilled with oil causing a surge and its just burning the excess oil off, but best pop into the stealers to get it checked out :wink:

SOates82 said:
50p says its overfilled with oil causing a surge and its just burning the excess oil off, but best pop into the stealers to get it checked out :wink:

I'll be up later for the 50p :lol: it's in between the min and max mark.

Chris, no, it's only got an induction kit and a zorst

Problem is if he takes it to the dealer they will invariably blame it on the exhaust.

Suppose so.

So if he returns it so standard and takes it back, what can he say :? every now and then when accelerating hard in a corner it smokes :?

Rcb said:
Suppose so.

So if he returns it so standard and takes it back, what can he say :? every now and then when accelerating hard in a corner it smokes :?

Yeah, why not?

Thats what he bought a Type R for :wink:

I know that :lol: but how can he prove it to them is what I meant?

Cheers for the advice...will give him a call later :D

Rcb said:
I know that :lol: but how can he prove it to them is what I meant?

Cheers for the advice...will give him a call later :D

Take a grease monkey out with him for a drive

Let's keep this simple...

If the car is smoking, badly by the sounds of it and it is only being driven within its design parameters then you have a fault that the dealer should look at.

If on the other hand, you are bouncing it constantly off the limiter and you have not been too careful with oil levels in the past, you will likely end up with a big bill as a strip down will show this.

However, it does sound like tyre smoke as it is only happening on corners. Have you had another car follow you to observe??

Anyhow, good luck.

UPDATE:

He's taken it to Honda to look at, apparently it's not that uncommon and it's to do with the oil surging :?

They want it for a few days so will let you all know what happens :wink:

PS, he's looked after it like he would a kid, always letting it warm up 15 minutes at the start of every journey before taking it above 2.5k etc

Back