• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

cv joints

Owdoo, i recently had a new clutch and slave cylinder fitted to my 2000 atr, The garage that did the work told me that the driveshafts were stuck and therefore they dropped the gearbox with shafts still in! now i have a hum when accelerating with any lock on and a constant bobbling noise which i have been advised is cv joints, original parts are over £400 without shafts and having already pumped £1200 in for clutch and exhaust am hoping for a cheaper fix. Anyone reccomend a good spurious joint supplier? could the noises be something else? Any advice would be appreciated cheers

What gearbox oil is in it? Groaning steering on the ATR is often caused by incorrect gearbox oil.

its got honda oil in, had a steering pipe done not so long ago, dont think its a steering noise, sounds like inner wing rubbing but its not

Is the noise from one side only, or both? Does it matter what way you're steering? Does it do it in a straight line?

It doesnt matter which way you turn although to start with it was louder on left lock, its not there in a straight line and im not sure if its from 1 side or both

First off, checking the CV joints yourself if you have a jack and axle stand is easy enough. Then I'd find out what gearbox oil is in it mate, it's a common noise on the ATR and more often than not cured with a gearbox oil change with proper Honda MTF put in.

ok thanks for advice, inner cv joints have a bit of play in them but im not sure how much they should have, will change gearbox oil

turns out bobbling noise was a droplink, engine mounts are ok getting gearbox oil done next week

Or humming noise can usually come from possible bearing failure aswell.

At speed, do you ever get vibration through the steering wheel? Or if you have been driving forward, then stop, put it in reverse, as you reverse do you hear a clunk? if there is wear on the cv joint, almost always it clunks when you change forward or reveres direction of travel. Also if its the CV joint, on full lock turning into a corner (or going around in a circle with full lock on), you will hear clunking sound, which is another sign of cv joint failure and wear on the joint.

Humming noise can also be related to bearing failure.

no clunking or vibrations, sounds like power steering noise but its not, only started after clutch and slave cylinder fitted

Back