• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

D2 Coilovers Fitted *Full Report Now*

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Before I go into this any further I'd just like to state that I got this kit from Impulse Performance for testing and review purposes (and to keep if I liked the kit) in exchange for a full write up on the equipment. Anyone who knows me from either posting on the forums or on a personal level will know that I tell it how it is, and the following write up is influenced by my actual thoughts on the kit and not by me paying much less then retail for the coilovers.

I am comparing the Coilovers to the ones fitted previously on my car, the Tein Superstreet complete with EDFC.

I had the kit fully set up at TGM today and I've had mixed driving on the way home ranging from motorway, town driving and some major B Road action. It's got a pretty aggressive set up, more so then what the TEINs were. I've gone for the following:

Front:

2.9 deg negative camber
1mm toe out

Rear:

1.9 deg negative camber
1mm toe in

Some might say this is too aggressive for road use, but after letting Tom know what I wanted from the car, and listening to his expertise these settings were decided on. He also offered that if I found it too aggressive over the next couple of weeks, I just need to take it back to him and he'll adjust it for free, so thanks to TGM.

On to the coilovers then. The legs are lighter then the Tein's, not sure how much but it could be felt. The actual build quality is very good and they look like they are well put together. The only snag I have about the physical part of the coilovers is that there is no fixed holder for the brake lines and ABS sensor to sit on. The brake line is fixed on a plate that is bent into shape and then bolted onto the coilover leg itself, and the leg has no means of mounting the ABS sensor other then using what you might have lying around in the garage, and in my case it's a couple of trusty zip ties (still on secure after 1000 miles, and will be periodically checked).

Onto the actual performance on the road. Please bear in mind that I'm not great with all suspension meanings/settings so this is from a drivers point of view. Also, the car is set up more aggressive then what the Teins were.

The ride is stiffer then the Supersteets, and the dampener adjusters on the D2s are set on minimum. It's not bone shaking stiff, but I can feel a few more bumps on the road and it can get quite shaky in the cabin down Englands finest pot hole infested pathetic pieces of tarmac. It's not so bad though that my wife complains about it (she soon told me after I'd fitted the Spoon B Pipe and N1 to my old CTR), and it's something that I can happily live with. It more then makes up for this though with how the car behaves and feels when the fun bits come up. Overall, the car feels more taut, there is less body roll and weight transfer is done now with much less fuss. The latter is only noticeable though when your hoofing it down a known B road or on the track, in day to day usage I imagine it may be a little too stiff for some. I feel more confident round corners then before as the car just feels much more planted and less fussy (happened sometimes before). Overall I'm very impressed with the kit, and considering what it costs it offers a lot of performance for the money. I only hope that D2 take a leaf out of Teins book and add something physically built in on the legs so the lines can be attached without having the worry that the zip tie or bracket might come undone.

To sum up, if you're looking for some coilovers on a budget, then from these two I've experienced on my DC5 I'd say that if you're using the car on a day to day basis, and comfort is your thing (even though the D2's are absolutely fine on the motorway, they get annoying down the bad roads) and you want a little fast road fun/track fun the get the Tein SS. But if you're not too fussed about comfort and you want that extra little step up in performance for frequent trackdays or fast road driving the I'd recommend the D2's.

I'd just like to say thanks to Kenny and his team at Impulse Performance who put up with my rescheduling and managing to fit me in to have them fitted on a day they'd normally spend at home.

For more details on price etc please call Impulse Performance on 01795 410105

Some pics, more can be added if requested.

Front:

coilovers004.jpg

Rear:

coilovers008.jpg

coilovers013.jpg

The holes on the rear camber arms (think that is what they are!) didn't match up with the stock items so they will be sent back to the manufacturer.

coilovers010.jpg

Seems a bit mad that Impulse are selling the coilovers yet don't have the facilities to set them up for the customer :?

Looking forward to your review though as I am looking around for something a bit more than by springs next year.

Although if they seem stiffer than the Teins then it might not be a good choice for me using them everyday, was this with the Teins on the softest or hardest setting :?:

Carl

N77 said:
Seems a bit mad that Impulse are selling the coilovers yet don't have the facilities to set them up for the customer :?

Looking forward to your review though as I am looking around for something a bit more than by springs next year.

Although if they seem stiffer than the Teins then it might not be a good choice for me using them everyday, was this with the Teins on the softest or hardest setting :?:

Carl

They were set pretty soft mate. The springs are brand new and will need bedding in, then it should be better. They are not stiffer as in "ow my spine is shaking" stiff, they are stiffer in that there is less body roll. They are nicely damnped too.

As for the fitting, well Impulse are only a distributor, I just took advantage in that they said they would fit them FOC, which is better then paying for 3 hours labour.

8) but....

Didn't it already have decent coilovers?

And aren't you selling her? :?

Front:

2.9 mm negative camber
1mm toe out

Rear:

1.9 mm negative camber
1mm toe in

why would u run more -camber on the fronts?

i find -1.4 fronts
and -1.8 rear

good but i spose its all personal pref,

some guy the other week was telling me 0 camber and 0 toe in on fronts

and -3 camber on rears!

Fire_2 said:
Front:

2.9 mm negative camber
1mm toe out

Rear:

1.9 mm negative camber
1mm toe in

why would u run more -camber on the fronts?

i find -1.4 fronts
and -1.8 rear

good but i spose its all personal pref,

some guy the other week was telling me 0 camber and 0 toe in on fronts

and -3 camber on rears!

More camber on the front helps kill understeer and will promote a fairly lively rear end.

More camber on the rear will promote understeer first.

To echo what Nic says, in a FWD car having more -camber at the front will help rid a FWD car of understeer. It will however make the braking & acceleration grip lower.

Nice write up Chris.

But I just want to ask, can a lot of your new found confidence in the car be down to the different geometry settings now applied to car?

We all know how a few tweaks here and there can find a sweet spot in a cars' chassis. And I have a feeling Tom knows a fair bit more about DC5 geometry setup than most :wink:

It would've been nice if the comparison could've been made a little more directly.

CTR said:
Nice write up Chris.

But I just want to ask, can a lot of your new found confidence in the car be down to the different geometry settings now applied to car?

We all know how a few tweaks here and there can find a sweet spot in a cars' chassis. And I have a feeling Tom knows a fair bit more about DC5 geometry setup than most :wink:

It would've been nice if the comparison could've been made a little more directly.

Probably mate, hence why I mentioned it. Though the geometry won't affect the general tight feeling that the car has.

Back