• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

E.G.R. port cleaning

hi guys, does anyone know how to clean the egr ports, my " check engine light" has been on for ages, i have already removed and cleaned and replaced the egr valve and gasket and re-set the light, but it comes back on after a day or so, i reckon one or more ports may be blocked, and apparently there is a plate which you remove to access the ports,
anyone did this, or any advice would be great, cheers in advance

egr valve ports

cheers, forgot to say it was an ATR, dohhh, i,m still not sure where this metal plate is that covers the ports, do i need to remove the valve again to access it

ok mate, from memory - looking at the engine from above, you will see a long plate sitting just behind the engine and infront of the inlet manifold. It has a point on each end and is held in place by 6 or 8 bolts. That is the EGR port plate. The EGR valve is the small turret looking thing to the left of it, held in place by 2 bolts

The EGR plate will come off by itself and has an aluminium gasket which you need to carefully remove. All the soot will mainly be in the plate that you have just unbolted and can be cleaned with a wire brush and carb cleaner (& a screwdriver is useful to get rid of the big deposits. When it is all shiny and clean you need to turn your attention to the inlet holes.

You will need a socket set to do this and it is much easier if you have the extension socket piece. A few ppl also unbolted a sensor that sits on the fuel rail for easier access to the port plate.

Do not over tighten the bolts when you put it back together as they are prone to snapping.

Next up is the valve itself if you deem it necessary. Similar procedure but can be a bit more tricky to remove.

:smt023

egr port cleaning

cheers giger, did everything, every port was blocked, and metal plate was choked also, cleaned everything, disconnected the battery to re-set the c.e.t. light, took it for a spin and everything seems fine so far,, cheers for the help, much appreciated,
" gratefull A. t. R. owner "

Back