• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine and tranny oil change.

Hello hello,

I just purchased a '96 spec Honda ITR last week...Imported it directly to New-Brunswick, Canada from Japan.

I did my engine and tranny oil change once it got here, I was just hoping to get some feedback on the lubricants I used.

I went with genuine Honda transmission oil (manual of course) and Mobil 1 15W-50 full synthetic engine oil

Just curious if this is good enough to feed to my baby haha. Please let me know and thanks to all.

Cheers, Martin LeBlanc

Bit heavy on the oil mate, 5w30 ideally.

edit: sorry... I'm giving k20 advice, ignore that. I know nothing about b18 oils. My bad.

I went with 15W-50...There was a couple of guys that told me it was good to go a lil thick since it's a performance motor...But I was just telling myself "performance motor to what extent?"

I mean, it says on the oil jug itself that it's made for performance vehicle...But I'm guessin' they are probably talking about F1 cars and exotics, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the genuine Honda transmission oil...Was that a good choice? I assumed so right? I also went with the OEM oil filter, should I have gone with aftermarket filters???

Right on, Honda for the win haha...Well, thanks for the feedback.

What do you think about that oil I put in though? A lil too thick?

It'll be fine. If it gets very cold in winter where you are you might want to run a slightly thinner oil, but I ran 10w60 all year round in my DC2 and it ran perfectly.

Hey HASNIC,

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I thought...It might be a lil thick for winter but I'm storing it in November-April...That's our winter here in New-Brunswick, this car will only be driven in the spring, summer and fall. The coldest it will get is around 10 degrees celsius at night, I'll just let the car run for 5 mins. or so and let it idle.

Hey HASNIC,

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I thought...It might be a lil thick for winter but I'm storing it in November-April...That's our winter here in New-Brunswick, this car will only be driven in the spring, summer and fall. The coldest it will get is around 10 degrees celsius at night, I'll just let the car run for 5 mins. or so and let it idle.

Yeah you'll be fine with that oil then :D

Right on, well for now I'll stick with this oil for sure...But when I get to my next oil change, I'll switch it up with some 10W-40 maybe. We'll see when the time comes.

I was going to ask you...How many KM's do you drive until you change your oil with synthetic of course??? Some *** say you can go up to 12,000 KM's but I don't know, it seems to be quite a lot before changing the oil.

Right on, well for now I'll stick with this oil for sure...But when I get to my next oil change, I'll switch it up with some 10W-40 maybe. We'll see when the time comes.

I was going to ask you...How many KM's do you drive until you change your oil with synthetic of course??? Some *** say you can go up to 12,000 KM's but I don't know, it seems to be quite a lot before changing the oil.

I changed it every 6000miles/10,000km of road use, but i'd change it after every track day as well. If you're only really driving it in the warmest months then i'd give it a change before you store it for the winter and then a change when you take it out if it's only seeing road driving.

Hey again HASNIC,

I should change the oil just for storing you mean? Wouldn't that be a pure waste of perfectly good oil??? I mean by changing it before storing and right after storing...I might of understood you wrong but correct me if not.

As for the genuine Honda oil filter, is that what most people go with, or should I be going aftermarket? It had a PIAA oil filter in there once I bought the car. That's what they had in it over in Japan. It's weird, because PIAA is a light/bulb company over here in Canada.

I'd change it pre and post storage, you don't have to, but for the sake not a lot of money you know there is no sludge or deposits just sitting there over the winter. :)

Hey HASNIC,

I know what you mean...It's not a lot of $$$ and it can save the motors life. I mean the motor is the heart of the car. I rather spend $60 on oil change than $2000-$5000 on motor lol!

As for the genuine Honda oil filter, is that what most people go with, or should I be going aftermarket? It had a PIAA oil filter in there once I bought the car. That's what they had in it over in Japan. It's weird, because PIAA is a light/bulb company over here in Canada.

Back