• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine mods without losing fuel economy?

Random i know!

My K20a powered TF will get a good 8/9mpg less than my K series powered TF and as its ment to be my 'daily' 'reliable' and 'cheap' car (compared to a stripped out 2.0T Spray fed ZR lol) i want to know what i can do to:

A: Improve Fuel economy

B: Improve Power, and more importantly power delivery/driveability

and

C: Do B without sacrificing A

so basically i want to improve the all round package, make the car more fun to drive when i want to push but under no circumstances loose MPG

Obviously Head work/cams are out straight away, as are iTBs and Forced induction

the spec as is is (as far as i know)

Totally standard K20a2

K-Pro ECU

Pretty naff exhaust system (imo) and a cone filter

plans are to ditch the cone for a enclosed obviously and in the future sort the exhaust

what else can i do?

l/w fly wheel? fuel conscious mapping of the K-Pro?... i dont know! share with me your knowlage oh K20 savvy ones!

Well I was going to suggest k-pro, since you already have that I'm stumped.
It would be worth getting the map checked with an expert as most people see a decent increase in economy after mapping. What are you getting out of interest? I would expect 30-40 driving for economy.

All the while bearing in mind of course that you can't have it both ways. Drive it hard and you will never get a decent mpg. VTEC is extremely thirsty so any use of that is not going to help your cause.

Additionally a decent intake and exhaust, if yours is really naff the whole car will suffer. Get those and a remap aimed at your driving preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting 0 mpg at the minuet as the conversion is still being re-built to make the car safe (see my project thread)

im basing my assumptions on parkers stimulation of what i assume is combined cycle which says 31 MPG

parkers says my TF with the 1.6 should have got 39, i believe i got a tad more in spite of driving it hard

naturally with an extra 400cc and twice the bhp im not expecting miracles but as a better exhaust system will have to be made (i'm not happy with the current one at all) and a enclosed cone wont exactly break the bank... and the fact that i already have a K-Pro i'm hoping gains should be simple to achieve over the civics 31 mpg... especially as the TF is lighter and more aerodynamic?

i'll take the car to TDi North i think once the exhaust and induction is sorted... i've herd they are the guys? i wonder if i could have a 'performance' map and a 'normal' or 'fuel save' map?

I think you will get over 35 on the motorway, 25-35 average (obviously depends on your driving style) and sub 20 when hooning it.

ouch i was hoping for more than that

i was hoping for around 40 on the motorway what with a 6 speed box :( this was ment to be a GT car lol

It'll be possible, at like 60 mph I bet. Any higher and you'll be getting below 40mpg.

I got 40mpg including some Welsh roads when I went to Anglesey last year, two up with the camping gear.

Roads were pretty quiet though so not on the brakes much.

I think the fact it'll be in a lighter car, and if mapped correctly you should be able to see 40mpg ish on a m'way run I'd have thought.

i sit at 60/65 on motorways all the time... odd for a petrolhead but i dont see the point in peeing off the rozzers unless serious fun is involved lol so 40 might be on the cards for me :)

would a l/w fly help at all?

i sit at 60/65 on motorways all the time... odd for a petrolhead but i dont see the point in peeing off the rozzers unless serious fun is involved lol so 40 might be on the cards for me :)

would a l/w fly help at all?

A nice l/w flywheel is worth it for the extra response you get, let alone any mpg benefits that you may or may not see as I reckon any improvements would be pretty marginal.

A nice l/w flywheel is worth it for the extra response you get, let alone any mpg benefits that you may or may not see as I reckon any improvements would be pretty marginal.

i've been told by the elise boys that a l/w fly is a big improvement for low gear acceleration especially with a mid-engined layout and of course a lighter car (the TF is only 200 or so kg less than a CTR but i've ditched sound proofing all over (i mean really, in a convertible... whats the point!) as well as other un-neccisarrys and ill have some carbon goodness coming too.. so will be interesting to see what a l/w fly will cost.. i need the sump off to fit a baffle anyway ( highly recommended by the lotus boys due to the higher Gs a M-RWD car can pull)

thanks for that info skip i didnt know! i thought 6th was a cursing gear!

I guess you'll be running a custom intake, header and exhaust in a swapped chassis anyway. With a well mapped Kpro you'll get more MPG than stock!

once its back on the road get the k-pro tuned properly and you should get better economy but tbh economy is less about the car more about the driver

Back