• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

engine oil?

hi all i'm a new owner of a 05 type r, and i could do with a engine oil top and i'm not sure whats the best oil to use for my car?

What oil is currently in your car? Best to use the same as whats already in if you are topping up.

i'm not sure whats already in the car, but i've asked a few people and they've all said 5w40 fully synthetic, but i just weren't sure would you recomend a certain make?

Sorry to sound rude, but have you had a search on here? There's loads of threads covering the same subject.

You can mix any oils, ideally use 5w40 fully synthetic.

Better to not mix oils. As you are never sure what blend is in there.

If I was you I would top up with 5w40 until you get a full change. Which I would do sooner than later tbh.

Better to not mix oils. As you are never sure what blend is in there.

If I was you I would top up with 5w40 until you get a full change. Which I would do sooner than later tbh.

Fully synthetic. ;)

Well, I say no you're not, but it all depends what oil you are using.

I personally think 0w30 is too thin, but that's just me.

It's absolutely fine to mix full synthetic and semi-synthetic, different grades etc.

A 5w-40 is the best option for your car, but they are fine using 0w-30, 5w-30 or 0w-40 as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS,
Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess,
Millers XFS, Fuchs Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are
good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I would only mix if you reduce the service intervals. Granted the odds of you actually getting issues are low but are you prepared to risk it. I won't unless it's at minimum but I don't have a strict mileage oil change. As I've said elsewhere I do two oil changes per year.

Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40

edit: just found my service manual so i took a picture in oil section

k9L9q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back