• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine warning lamp

I wonder if any one else has had this problem?
I was driving home las night when my engine warning light came on and stayed on then after a while i took it for another short drive hoping it had cleared itself. It hadn't. Well this morning while dropping the missus off at work it cleared. But now when i come to stop at junctions it seems like it is about to cut out. It hasn't yet but the light has stayed off.
Any ideas any one???

Cheers Rob

To cure my own curiosity, does anyone know how to do this on an ATR? Same fuse?

Also, if your ECU was going into 'safe mode' for a valid reason, is it safe to assume that it will go back into 'safe mode' straight away to stop any damage occuring?

Cheers

Dan

efcmandan said:

Also, if your ECU was going into 'safe mode' for a valid reason, is it safe to assume that it will go back into 'safe mode' straight away to stop any damage occuring?

Cheers

Dan

I have never looked into the fusebox of an ATR Dan but if you reset the ECU I would assume safemode would be enabled as soon as it picked up the fault again.

Scousefella said:
efcmandan said:

Cheers

Dan

I have never looked into the fusebox of an ATR Dan but if you reset the ECU I would assume safemode would be enabled as soon as it picked up the fault again.

I don't know which fuse it is either but disconnecting the battery will also reset the ECU. :wink:

Neily03 said:
Scousefella said:
efcmandan said:

Cheers

Dan

I don't know which fuse it is either but disconnecting the battery will also reset the ECU. :wink:

Fair shout, just make sure that the key code for the stereo is available. :lol:

Yeah, disconnecting the battery is an option I guess, but a bit messier. I have my manual here so I'll have a browse now.

The ECU fuse will be the one that has a little picture of the engine, same and engine management light on the dash. :wink:

I have just been out and reset my ECU will road test it tonight when i pick the missus up and ill let you all know the outcome. Hopfully all will be sorted otherwise its a trip to the dealers :(

Looking through your mods mate, I'd have a random guess that it's something to do with your decat/O2 sensor.

funny thats the first thing i thought too mate. i tried to put the cat back in today but couldn't get far enough under the car to do it. So that will have to wait till i can get back to work and get it on a ramp.

efcmandan said:

Cheers

Dan

To do a soft reset pull the backup fuse for 10 seconds (while the car is off) in the under bonnet fusebox, then let her idle for 10 minutes.

To do a hard reset (clear's limp mode etc) disconnect the whole battery for 30 seconds, then let her idle for 10 minutes.

Little Legs said:
efcmandan said:

Cheers

Dan

To do a soft reset pull the backup fuse for 10 seconds (while the car is off) in the under bonnet fusebox, then let her idle for 10 minutes.

To do a hard reset (clear's limp mode etc) disconnect the whole battery for 30 seconds, then let her idle for 10 minutes.

I take it that this only applies to the ATR's then.

Also just to add that after reseting the ecu i had a quick poke round under the bonnet and desided to give the IAC a clean just to make sure. It seemed pretty clean on removal but i gave it a blast of brake cleaner for good messure. Any way since then the engine light has stayed off and the idling has also gone back to normal. So the fault was never found only way to find out would be to take it to the dealers and see what the fault code was. But im not really that bothered unless it does it again. Im just going to put it down to "one oh those things"

Thanks for all your help and comments
Rob

Back