• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 braking issue

Hi

My ep3 seems to be braking by itself. When I am rolling back the car stops itself without me having to press the brake pedal, and also when I let go of the accelerator the car quickly comes to a stop.

Would this be issue with calipars as I have new discs and pads all around.

Are the new pads sliding freely in the calipers?

Yes they are but I wouldn't say they are totally brand new had them on the car for around 6-7 months now. Jacked the car up and gave the wheel a spin, it doesn't seem to spin freely as the other wheels have to use slight force.

If it's the piston that's stuck, you will likely be looking at a refurb kit as a minimum. It could just need the sliders cleaning or pads filing so they move more freely in the sliders.

If it's the piston that's stuck, you will likely be looking at a refurb kit as a minimum. It could just need the sliders cleaning or pads filing so they move more freely in the sliders.

Thanks could it by any chance be a handbrake issue where the handbrake is not releasing. Had a look this morning jacked the car up and spun the wheel and it doesn't spin as freely as the passenger side

Going out on a limb here and guessing it is one of the back wheels?

It's very unlikely to be the handbrake, but not impossible I guess. You should be able to see the cable travel when you release it and engage it.

Going out on a limb here and guessing it is one of the back wheels?

It's very unlikely to be the handbrake, but not impossible I guess. You should be able to see the cable travel when you release it and engage it.

Yes it is the back driver side wheel. So had to drive it back from work which is a 10 min drive and when I got home the alloy was quite hot and could smell bit of a burn smell.

I will have a look at the handbrake cable but is the rear caliper siezing a common issue on the ep3. Thinking if it is the caliper would it be best to replace the passenger side one at the same time.

Yes, it's very common and no point replacing the other one if it is fine.

You probably won't need to replace it however as the caliper itself will likely be fine. A refurb kit with a new seal and piston will likely cure it, likewise it could be the pads need filing and sliders cleaning, but you aren't going to know unless you get it down to is and have a look.

Yes, it's very common and no point replacing the other one if it is fine.

You probably won't need to replace it however as the caliper itself will likely be fine. A refurb kit with a new seal and piston will likely cure it, likewise it could be the pads need filing and sliders cleaning, but you aren't going to know unless you get it down to is and have a look.

Is it easy replacing seal and piston. Any special tools needed.

Is the handbrake releasing properly?

A good way to check is to remove the centre console where the handbrake handle is and see if there is any play in the cables with the handbrake off. If there is play then the spring on the rear caliper will be the culprit, remove it and give it a good scrub with a wire brush then soak it in WD40 before replacing.

Hi

So I noticed both the back 2 wheels were quite hot after brining it to the mechanic. Would this mean it is a caliper issue on both sides or handbrake issue.

Thanks

Could be either but I suspect the piston on both sides need attention, you'll have to check as mentioned above chap.

I have just had the same problem appear on the rear passenger side out of nowhere. I have Goodridge hoses to go on so I'm just going to chuck it to TDI-PLC since I'm a bit tight on time with work at the moment.

Guessing that it maybe happens since my car is outside all the time in all weather and could not be used for a week at a time easy.

Feeling really cool driving the old Suzuki Vitara at the moment... :? and scary as poop in the wet!!

Had the rear right caliper replaced with a Nissin refurbished one and so far all seems to be okay. Had the car jacked on the ramp and the right side wheel was kind of binding and not spinning freely like the left wheel. Hope this is the issue sorted for the time being until the left one needs replacing. Wheels not heating up anymore ether

Back