• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Erratic Idle Idle Control Valve Cleaning.

Hi all. After an ep3 rebuild and putting an engine in that turns out to be a brilliant engine but one that I know had been sitting around for a good couple of months. So on start up all good for a little bit, then when warmed up started to hunt idle wise pretty badly, say between 1K and 2.5K rpm. Turned out to be the fairly common and much talked about IACV stuck or sticking problem!!.
Removed throttle body, not managing to save the gasket, so had to get a new one(no probs). Took IACV body off bottom of tb. Great news, straight away could see the problem. The barrel/rolling shaft was more or less stuck solid!. Cleaning no problem, used some carburettor/choke cleaner initially, did an alright job. Then think I used a bit of brake cleaner, but not too much. Some WD40, then left it soaking overnight in a little tub in parts cleaner fluid. Was rotating the shaft/barrel all the time whilst cleaning and basically cleaned body and everything. Shaft/barrel span freely and beautifully after this course of action.
Cleaning and giving a damn good blast with carb/choke cleaner one last time to remove any residue etc.
Bolted back onto bottom of tb. Oh btw those screws that bolt the valve to the tb are a bstard to get off so be careful!.
Tb back on inlet manifold. Fired her up, got her up to temperature, fans kicked in and all that, ran absolutely perfect and beautifully!, happy days.
Not saying this will cure everyone's bad idling probs, but worked spot on for me. Couldn't be happier.

Well, fingers hurting now!. Hope this helps someone, cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I having a idling problem same as what you've got, turned out a bad connector, so changed the loom no problem, will give a IACV a clean before putting back together :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I having a idling problem same as what you've got, turned out a bad connector, so changed the loom no problem, will give a IACV a clean before putting back together :-)

Had lol!!!. Bad connector??, whereabouts was that then?

Which loom or part of the loom was it. Just curious and being nosey, sorry. For future ref I guess.
You should or may notice a bit if difference cleaning that valve, let us know.
Good luck.

Had lol!!!. Bad connector??, whereabouts was that then?

Which loom or part of the loom was it. Just curious and being nosey, sorry. For future ref I guess.
You should or may notice a bit if difference cleaning that valve, let us know.
Good luck.

Well, is the plug for the IACV, 3 wires all broken that is why no signal had been sent back to the ecu, and it's pain in the ass for me to repair, I changed the engine loom instead as I need to replace with new radiator, hoses at the same time..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back