• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FAO Sharky

Hi I have been having a look around the main website
Just wanted to say what a bloody good job you have done, it looks excellent, very proffesional

Top job :smt023

regards

- Chris

Re: FAO Sharky ???

Black R said:
Just wanted to say what a bloody good job you have done, it looks excellent, very proffesional

regards

- Chris

Thanks, Chris. Much appreciated. :smt023

I have some more features and services in the pipeline and these will be implemented as and when I find time to do so. :wink:

Cheers,
Andy

Black R said:

regards

- Chris

^^ what he said, and :smt023 for saying it :D

I have to say that you're a bit of a hero in my book for getting all the pics from the valleys meet sorted. But all the rest of the site is brilliant too imho. Nice one :smt023 8)

Evs said:
Black R said:

regards

- Chris

^^ what he said, and :smt023 for saying it :D

I have to say that you're a bit of a hero in my book for getting all the pics from the valleys meet sorted. But all the rest of the site is brilliant too imho. Nice one :smt023 8)

Thanks, Evs. I've never been a hero before... :oops: :lol:

To be honest the bulk of the gallery work is straightforward and just needs a bit of time. As you may have noticed I prefer to blank out the number plates in the gallery images (which takes time). Still, it's kinda therapeutic! :lol: The process of generating the thumbnail images for the gallery is easy enough - I have a custom script to do that for me in Photoshop. All I then do is feed it all into the online gallery viewer. That's where the magic happens with the custom-written gallery viewer I programmed. Shazzam! :lol:

Cheers,
Andy

SharkyUK said:
The process of generating the thumbnail images for the gallery is easy enough - I have a custom script to do that for me in Photoshop. All I then do is feed it all into the online gallery viewer. That's where the magic happens with the custom-written gallery viewer I programmed. Shazzam! :lol:

Cheers,
Andy

see a true geek would do it using php and gd or imagemagick ;) :lol:

FreakOnALeash said:
SharkyUK said:
The process of generating the thumbnail images for the gallery is easy enough - I have a custom script to do that for me in Photoshop. All I then do is feed it all into the online gallery viewer. That's where the magic happens with the custom-written gallery viewer I programmed. Shazzam! :lol:

Cheers,
Andy

:lol: Very true - but I'm not a true geek. I'm still a wannabe. :oops: The auto generation of thumbnails will make it into version 2 of the gallery viewer... :wink:

SharkyUK said:
FreakOnALeash said:

:lol: Very true - but I'm not a true geek. I'm still a wannabe. :oops: The auto generation of thumbnails will make it into version 2 of the gallery viewer... :wink:

Version 2... now with geek-o-matic auto-generation of thumbnails. Saves me having to fart around doing them in Photoshop! :lol:

Its great. I don't know where you find the time though Andy :?: :shock:

Did you make this...

design1_250.jpg

Because I now have this as my desktop wallpaper 8)

smeg said:
Its great. I don't know where you find the time though Andy :?: :shock:

Did you make this...

design1_250.jpg

Because I now have this as my desktop wallpaper 8)

I did, mate. Obviously I didn't take the photo of the engine, though... :lol:

Andy, how did you auto generate your thumbnails???

I want to do somehting similar with my site you see and could use a quick solution!!!!

p.s I'm assuming the gallery pics are not "copywrited" by anyone and people woulkdnt mind me using some of them on my site as well?

(Re-hauling like a bitch www.oshore.co.uk at the moment)

Cheers fella.

Oh and most importantly, agree with what everone else has said. I know the time and effort it takes to do things like this, so top draw son shine.

I'll buiy you a beer if you get your arse to a meet I'm at.

8)

Hobbes said:

I want to do somehting similar with my site you see and could use a quick solution!!!!

al said:
see a true geek would do it using php and gd or imagemagick ;) Laughing

*cough* :wink:

Al said:
Hobbes said:

al said:
see a true geek would do it using php and gd or imagemagick ;) Laughing

*cough* :wink:

LOL! Or is it YOU I should be talking to, oh God of all things IT shaped??

:wink: Dont worry buttercup I havent forgotten all your great work!

:p

Hobbes said:

p.s I'm assuming the gallery pics are not "copywrited" by anyone and people woulkdnt mind me using some of them on my site as well?

(Re-hauling like a bitch www.oshore.co.uk at the moment)

Cheers fella.

Oh and most importantly, agree with what everone else has said. I know the time and effort it takes to do things like this, so top draw son shine.

I'll buiy you a beer if you get your arse to a meet I'm at.

8)

:lol: Cheers, mate. I'll take up your offer of a beer at some point. :smt023

Ok - as Al has kindly pointed out :lol: I used php and gd. For each gallery 'event' I have a script which controls the display of the viewer - as in text to display on the page along with the thumbnails, etc. This allows me to ad links to other sites, add thanks messages, etc.

To generate the images... when a user accesses a gallery event I scan the relevant directory (on the server) that contains the event images and check to see if they have already got generated thumbnails. If so - great, I just display them. If not I use gd (through php) to generate them. I maintain the aspect ratio, etc. such that they appear correctly sized as a thumbnail. Once generated it can be displayed along with the rest of the thumbnails. The next time a visitor views the gallery - bingo - the thumbnail is already created and doesn't need to be created again.

Does that make sense? :lol:

Back