• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First time plastic spraying with Pics

Hi All

So I am a new member of this organisation known as the TRO, and I was lucky enough to get my hands on an 04 Civic Type R EP3. I wanted to start my mod journey with some interior clean ups, this is how a re-spray of the centre console slide tray (the bit with the type r badge under the gear stick) went for me.

I must point out that I have never done anything like this before, but I thought it might be helpful to show the results I got.

So armed with my wallet a took a trip to HALFORDS and purchased the following,

Can of plastic primer grey
Can of Ford graphite grey (I liked the look of this colour)
Can of Clear lacquer
Wire-wool
masking tape

You will be looking to spend £18-30 based on what you get and need.

Here is a picture of the Cans,

scaled.php

1. Firstly I persuaded the tray out with my usual club hammer approach, I had to twist the tray out of the surround, and this is what I was left with,

scaled.php

2. Firstly clean the plastic and use a very fine sandpaper or wire-wool to smooth out any key marks etc. Once you have done this you have the option of covering the badge with masking tape OR removing it. I used a hammer on the back pins of the badge with a little gentle persuasion with a flat-head screwdriver. I also put some masking tape around the base of the tray as this will be hidden once back in the car.

scaled.php

3. Right this is the primer stage, I must stress that light sweeping strokes are the best way I found to apply the primer. I always started spraying on a news paper to get an idea of the flow. I would also recommend practising on something else first to get a really good idea of the technique. You need to spray a light coat then 15-20 mins of dry time between sprays, followed by more light coats until you have even coverage.

scaled.php

4. Once happy with the primer coat, you can move onto your main colour spray. Same technique as the primer until even coverage is achieved.

scaled.php

5. The final stage is the lacquer, which will protect the surface.

scaled.php

6. Once it was all dry, I put the badge back on, which was helped by boring the rivet holes out slightly and popping it back into place.

scaled.php

7. Put it back in the Car (this was awkward!)

scaled.php

I was happy with the result, the pics I took don't really do the finished product much justice. I will get my better camera and show you what it looks like in the car.

I know that messing with the OEM colours are frowned upon by the diehard type r members out there but sometimes its nice to add a personal touch to your your pride and joy!

Thanks for your time,

Tom ;)

i would get better quality paint as ive used halfords and did not find it great

looks well ***

Nice work. Would have been good to use a matt clearcoat, not sure halfords sell that though....

Back